FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki The Reef - Polynesian Lounge, Casper, WY (bar)
The Reef - Polynesian Lounge, Casper, WY (bar)
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-09 11:50 am   Permalink

Name:The Reef - Polynesian Lounge
Type:bar
Street:First and Center
City:Casper
State:WY
Zip:
Phone:

Description:
Billed as Wyoming's First Polynesian Lounge. A brief write up in Tiki Road Trip is all I could find on this one.

What great graphics on the matchbook.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiG
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-09 1:04 pm   Permalink

...and what a GREAT graphic on the matches themselves! DIG IT!

View Profile of TikiG Send a personal message to TikiG  Email TikiG     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-05 12:05 am   Permalink

Another ebay artifact from the singular Tiki hot spot in Casper - A Plate!

I just noticed the address on the matchbook - First and Center. Sounds like school, or the army or something...

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikicoma
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 17 days ago; 02:18 am   Permalink

The Reef Lounge had its grand opening 10/4/1961 and was opened and operated by Bill and Keith Asbell and Bill Markham.
"The First Polynesian Lounge in Wyoming" where you will be "Served in a Delightful South Sea Atmosphere"

Designed & installed by Clif and Lou Sawyer - Palm Springs. "known for their Tiki designs across the country."

"On the Center Street entrance there are two picture windows. The window to the left of the door contains a five-foot Tiki god standing amid jungle flowers and sea shells. To the right of the door stands an eight foot Tiki god. Above the door is a small shelf running the width of the building filled with rocks collected from Wyoming rock beds by local rockhound clubs"

About a year later (8/62) they opened the Surf Room the restaurant extension to the Reef Lounge.

Seen here with an outrigger canoe on its roof is the Reef Lounge in a photo believed to be from 1965.
The Reef is reported to have changed hands a couple of times, becoming the "New Reef Lounge" in 1976 closing in "78 soon to be replaced by a disco hall.

Swiped from a Facebook group.
https://oilcitywyo.com/backstory/2018/05/04/backstory-reef-lounge-gave-casper-taste-tiki/

[ This Message was edited by: tikicoma 2018-05-07 02:18 ]

View Profile of tikicoma Send a personal message to tikicoma      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
howlinowl
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 17 days ago; 1:35 pm   Permalink

Buildings gone.

howlinowl

[ This Message was edited by: howlinowl 2018-05-07 13:36 ]

View Profile of howlinowl Send a personal message to howlinowl      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
aquarj
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 15 days ago; 12:51 am   Permalink

Great info tikicoma! Here are some more pics...

Taking that photo from the website and zooming in to see the back of the room

That part of the room is shown here in more detail, and color!

And then turning around from roughly that same spot, we see the front entry and tiki

-Randy

View Profile of aquarj Send a personal message to aquarj  Goto the website of aquarj     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikicoma
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 15 days ago; 01:46 am   Permalink

Aquarj that's great stuff! Dusty told me a little about the research you two did on this and other places (and people) I can't wait to see it. Lets hope it can somehow be presented to tikifiles in a proper venue! It sounds like it will be an incredible story.

[ This Message was edited by: tikicoma 2018-05-09 01:48 ]

View Profile of tikicoma Send a personal message to tikicoma      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
aquarj
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 15 days ago; 09:12 am   Permalink

Quote:
On 2018-05-09 01:46, tikicoma wrote:
I can't wait to see it. Lets hope it can somehow be presented to tikifiles in a proper venue! It sounds like it will be an incredible story.

I can't wait to *do* it! Well, apparently I can - things get busy. But yeah, it'll happen!

-Randy

View Profile of aquarj Send a personal message to aquarj  Goto the website of aquarj     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MaukaHale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 14 days ago; 4:40 pm   Permalink

Great research, I like the pictures you found.

View Profile of MaukaHale Send a personal message to MaukaHale  Email MaukaHale     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2018 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation