Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Trader Vic signature
Trader Vic signature
Grand Kahu
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2009-09-09 11:32 pm   Permalink

I finally picked up a copy of the 1946 edition of Trader Vic's Food and Drink book and, to my surprise, found it was signed inside (not printed) "Trader Vic." Did Vic Bergeron sign books in this fashion and was it common for him to do so?

I also found some interesting Trader Vic order forms, with nice graphics, from the same year, tucked inside the cover. I assume these may have originally accompanied the books when they were sold?

GK

Tied by my Mai Tai...

View Profile of Grand Kahu Send a personal message to Grand Kahu      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cool Manchu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-10 11:48 am   Permalink

It's actually very common. Trader Vic had a reputation of signing his name to anything and everything he could. I too had the same exact book signed by him. The signature was dated 1961.

View Profile of Cool Manchu Send a personal message to Cool Manchu  Email Cool Manchu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Const Tiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-03-17 9:43 pm   Permalink

That reminds me of the Havana Trader Vic's menus that were signed by Vic. I see them on ebay from time to time and they all have the exact same handwritten note - something like "no more Cuban rum thanks to that stinker Castro, but we still have a lot of menus." I always just assumed that they were fake, but now I'm not so sure.

[ This Message was edited by: const tiki 2010-03-18 11:16 ]

View Profile of Const Tiki Send a personal message to Const Tiki  Email Const Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabu The Coconut Boy
Tiki Central Poet Laureate

Posted: 2010-03-17 11:31 pm   Permalink

Here's a photo of him doing that very thing from the Trader Vic's Oakland thread in Locating Tiki.

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
abstractiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-22 7:35 pm   Permalink

Here is the signature I have, picked this book up for $10

View Profile of abstractiki Send a personal message to abstractiki  Email abstractiki Goto the website of abstractiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
woofmutt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-23 10:56 pm   Permalink

Here's mine, a well used first edition from a friend whose grandmother was a Seattle TV host or something like that back in the 50s.

Having Vic's signature on something is cool, but the inscription in a Vic's manual I like best is this one my mom wrote in 1962 to my grandpa (dad's dad) who was a bartender:

View Profile of woofmutt Send a personal message to woofmutt  Email woofmutt Goto the website of woofmutt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation