FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Tiki-Jo at the Miramar Hotel , Santa Monica, CA (restaurant)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Tiki-Jo at the Miramar Hotel , Santa Monica, CA (restaurant)
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-06 5:26 pm   Permalink

Such cool stuff, Ben! I love that he used his daughter's work!.

I bought a small orange-red resin starburst by her at Exotical over ten years ago. Unfortunately, the Cali sun has bleached and cracked it over the years...

quote]
On 2011-06-06 12:43, RevBambooBen wrote:
Scanner is down so you get a pic of a pic...

Sure looks like the Tree in Tiki Joe...

( the others are examples of her work. maybe someone knows where they are also?)

I'm pretty sure that Eli decorated all of Tiki Joe and

not just the tiki.

[/quote]

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikilongbeach
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2012-09-22 9:00 pm   Permalink

I found this color postcard of Tiki-Jo on cardcow.com I'm sorry if this was already posted, but my computer isn't allowing me to see all of the pictures on this thread.
www.cardcow.com/165007/tiki-jo-polynesian-restaurant-santa-monica-california/

View Profile of tikilongbeach Send a personal message to tikilongbeach      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-09-24 5:47 pm   Permalink

Tikilongbeach,

the photos you are posting are already on the threads. Wonder why you can't see the photos?

Here is a great napkin that Kiara recently posted in the Collecting Napkins thread.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikilongbeach

Posted: 2012-09-24 6:58 pm   Permalink

Dustycajun,
I'm not sure why I can't see the pics. I'll assume my friend that I let use my computer last week did something screwy. If I right click the picture icon for each photo and click on 'show picture' I can see what has been posted. I just figured that out.

View Profile of tikilongbeach Send a personal message to tikilongbeach      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Mr. Unreasonable

Posted: 2012-10-14 3:54 pm   Permalink

Nice shot of the back of the Miramar in 1974 from the Los Angeles Public Library.

The Miramar Hotel seen across Wilshire Blvd. and 2nd Street, Santa Monica.

I wonder if the Tiki-Jo became the Jamaican Room?

Eric Clapton's cover of I shot the Sheriff was realased in July of 1974 so I'm sure it was in heavy rotation for all of those "Irie" Santa Monicans!

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-12-03 7:33 pm   Permalink

Tiki Jo had a Kona Kai style swizzle.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-12-04 10:20 pm   Permalink

Does ANYBODY know WHO won that Batwing-sunglasses-lady-posing-with-the-Tiki photo on e-bay shown below? I would love to use it for my next project.

Quote:

On 2011-06-03 15:30, Dustycajun wrote:
Jon Paul,

Another great find. That Tiki outside of the Tiki Jo looks like the famous Milan Guanko Gilligan's Island curse of the Tiki Tiki as discussed in the previous post by Bigbro (which I have added your photo to for comparison):

Quote:

On 2010-10-05 22:07, bigbrotiki wrote:
This is just too cool, I had to put the three next to each other, in order of evolution:

From apartment Tiki - to mass produced table top Tiki - to T.V. star - to Kirby's Tikiyaki pendant! The story of a Milan Guanko carving.

I have had this guy for years, and knew of the Gilligan connection, but always thought it to be just a Guanko-STYLE Tiki -not the exact copy of an existing one!

I had thought that the picture I posted of the woman standing next to the Tiki was from an apartment building, but it sure looks like it is the same one in front of the Tiki Jo! How cool is that!

DC

[ This Message was edited by: Dustycajun 2011-06-03 15:32 ]

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikilongbeach

Posted: 2013-01-22 11:40 am   Permalink

There is a Tiki-Jo matchbook for sale on etsy ($10) that has a different inside than what Dusty Cajun posted.

www.etsy.com/listing/120773087/vintage-tiki-jo-polynesian-restaurant

Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-20 8:10 pm   Permalink

A few Tiki-Jo items that I tried for on ebay recently.

A different menu with the Eli Tiki.

And a brochure.

With a photo of the Tiki-Jo.

DC

danlovestikis
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2013-02-23 08:45 am   Permalink

Ah Gecko made his mug from this big tiki. Now that I've seen your post I like the mug even more, Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Otto
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2013-11-09 12:43 pm   Permalink

Got this newspaper ad from Domenic Priore
I think it is from the old Evening Outlook newspaper that was bought by The Daily Breeze
Seems like someone in Santa Monica could go to the library and check local history or someone in Torrance could go to The Daily Breeze and check The Outlook archives
for
Kailani Polynesian Combo
and/or Ami Lani

then try to look them up?

View Profile of Otto Send a personal message to Otto  Email Otto Goto the website of Otto     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation