FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Trader Pang?
Trader Pang?
TheMuggler
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-04-16 08:02 am   Permalink

I was at the Orlando Hilo Hatties last night and picked up a couple of mugs labelled "Trader Pang."

Anyone know who makes them or any other info?

-Mike

View Profile of TheMuggler Send a personal message to TheMuggler  Email TheMuggler Goto the website of TheMuggler     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PolynesianPop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-04-16 08:17 am   Permalink

Muggler,
These mugs appeared about a year ago in Hilo Hattie stores. I don't know a whole lot about the mugs however, they do appear to be cast from some of the old Orchids of Hawaii mugs (X-Eyes, R-3 Jewel Eyes).

There was a restaurant named Trader Pang's in Chico, CA that closed down a while back but I don't know if these were actually used there.

The mugs appear to be vintage because of the crazed glazing on them however, something about them leads me to believe that they are not vintage and rather, new production. I believe these mugs are made in China.

Hope this info helps.

Poly-Pop *

Bartender, make mine a glass of WATAHHH!!!!!

View Profile of PolynesianPop Send a personal message to PolynesianPop  Email PolynesianPop Goto the website of PolynesianPop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TheMuggler
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-04-16 09:36 am   Permalink

Thanks for the info, Poly-Pop! I agree, they are probably new production, as they had several different glazes on them and they all appeared unused.

View Profile of TheMuggler Send a personal message to TheMuggler  Email TheMuggler Goto the website of TheMuggler     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TheMuggler
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-04-16 09:39 am   Permalink

Thanks for the info, Poly-Pop! I agree, they are probably new production, as they had several different glazes on them and they all appeared unused.

Mattio
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2003-04-16 10:30 am   Permalink

I have a Trader Pang's. Is this the Mug we are talking about?

View Profile of Mattio Send a personal message to Mattio  Goto the website of Mattio     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PolynesianPop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-04-16 10:41 am   Permalink

Yup, that's one of them.

Poly-Pop *

View Profile of PolynesianPop Send a personal message to PolynesianPop  Email PolynesianPop Goto the website of PolynesianPop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TheMuggler
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-04-16 11:27 am   Permalink

The logo on the back is the same, but the glaze and style of both the ones I bought are different.

I'll try and post pics tomorrow.

-Mike

PolynesianPop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-04-16 11:35 am   Permalink

Yes, these mugs come in various colors of glaze. Some of them have contrasting glaze colors on the inside too. They have two glazes with their skull mugs too - brown and white.

Poly-Pop *

Doctor Z
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-04-16 3:52 pm   Permalink

"Trader Pang's" is the 'house brand' of repro mugs that Hilo Hattie's carries. To the best of my knowledge, they are all new production and are not associated with a bar or restaurant of any sort.

View Profile of Doctor Z Send a personal message to Doctor Z  Email Doctor Z     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikijaksin
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-04-16 9:18 pm   Permalink

I am sorta currently working something out with Miami's Hilo hattie ,they are interested in carrying some of our Friendlier Kreepy tiki's, and in the course of these events I noticed they changed from Tiki farm mugs to Trader Pang's ,and asked about the change I was told by the Gemeral manager. "those mugs are a lot cheaper" nothing else. they are not vintage , or from a elusive restaurant anywhere.I promise or at least that's the way I heard it. hope this clears things up...Tikijaksin

View Profile of tikijaksin Send a personal message to tikijaksin  Email tikijaksin Goto the website of tikijaksin     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation