FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » General Tiki » » 37 new Trader Vic's locations opening (1 in US)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 )
37 new Trader Vic's locations opening (1 in US)
Sunshine Tiki
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2013-03-06 5:08 pm   Permalink

In the last few years I have been to a few of the locations in the US. I visited the Vegas location, it was a tragedy. Should have never opened. Tried to visit the Chicago location, but even though their website said they were open and their phone lines said they were open, they were closed for good. While visiting two other California locations I had service so bad I walked out mid meal and refused to pay on one visit. In each case I did try to speak with management and or corporate. No guest service was offered.

Their rum and food items change labels and packaging so often Im not sure what to look for on the store shelf. The signature dark rum is pretty bad, but I still have a soft place in my heart for their hot buttered rum batter.

Aside from the pool bar at the Beverly Hilton which seems to have good drinks and good service....it is no wonder the company closes locations so randomly. I would love to see their organization figure out what leadership/management is but that doesn't appear to be happening.

Am I missing something?

View Profile of Sunshine Tiki Send a personal message to Sunshine Tiki  Email Sunshine Tiki Goto the website of Sunshine Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TropicDrinkBoy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-06 5:17 pm   Permalink

You are missing Trader Vic's Emeryville, the "Mother Ship". It is the only location owned by Trader Vic's, Inc. The now closed Palo Alto location was excellent as well.

View Profile of TropicDrinkBoy Send a personal message to TropicDrinkBoy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-06 5:41 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-03-06 17:08, Sunshine Tiki wrote:
....While visiting two other California locations I had service so bad I walked out mid meal and refused to pay on one visit. In each case I did try to speak with management and or corporate. No guest service was offered...

Am I missing something?

You are missing Zen and sunshine

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiVato
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-06 5:48 pm   Permalink

I enjoyed all my visits to Trader Vic's Emeryville, especially after their remodel. The closed Palo Alto location was excellent as well.
I have been to the Los Angeles location well over a dozen times. I have never had a bad meal there and the service has been mostly excellent. Frank, one of TV's manager has always made sure my visit was enjoyable.

TikiVato

View Profile of TikiVato Send a personal message to TikiVato  Email TikiVato     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nui 'umi 'umi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-06 6:42 pm   Permalink

Went to The Trader's (L A) Last night. Was there about 2 1/2 hours for dinner (7:30) and had an excellent Dr. Funk in the lounge afterward. Had two 1944 Mai Tai's-one before dinner and one with the most excellent salmon from their chinese oven. The pupu platter includes the legendary "Crab Rangoon" which is wonderful. Brian was our very attentive server and Frank (manager) is always gracious. Wish I could go there more often-never been disappointed.
Cheers

View Profile of nui 'umi 'umi Send a personal message to nui 'umi 'umi  Email nui 'umi 'umi     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikitonga
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2013-03-07 10:44 am   Permalink

I agree with others that there really is only one Trader Vic's that seems to represent to true spirit of Vic, and that is the one in Emeryville. I'm biased because I live in NorCal and can visit there as often as I wish (and I do!) but I have also visited others. Some have been pretty good but most fall short. For me I think it has to do with the location. I just don't think you can stuff a Trader Vic's into a new place and make it work. While it's true that the Emeryville local is a transplant from Oakland (formerly Hinky Dinks), it's been in that local for over 40 years now and the Trader Vic's "vibe" has just soaked into the place. I think that's always been missing from the other locations. On the flip side, places like Smugglers Cove and Forbidden Island have achieved that sacred feel as well and they are both relatively new.....so I guess I'm just blowing hot air! But seriously, it's kind of like Disneyland. There can be only one. Sure, Disneyworld and EuroDisney are pretty cool, but they'll never duplicate the feel of the original, no matter how good they may be.

View Profile of tikitonga Send a personal message to tikitonga  Email tikitonga     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TropicDrinkBoy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-08 12:32 am   Permalink

I hope some day to make it to the Trader Vic's in Atlanta which I hear is old school. I know I'll get to the two SoCal locations sooner and from the reports on this thread sound like great locations as well. I love the fact that the Beverly Hills location has a very complete "strong drink" section of the menu, with 45-50 to choose from. I've had them all several times and developed a long list of favorites. I lived in the Portland area 30 years ago but probably won't ever get an opportunity to return so I'll have to pass the baton to others to keep the Tiki torches burning up north!

View Profile of TropicDrinkBoy Send a personal message to TropicDrinkBoy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Pittsburgh pauly
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-28 10:21 am   Permalink

Something interesting, Jones Baker Interiors and Architecture which has been designing the latest Trader Vic's (Caribbean, Riyadh, Dubai, Portland, etc.) posted some new drawings the other day...for a Trader Vic's in Iraq!
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151490211343176&set=a.308563673175.146045.306902198175&type=1&theater
I'd suggest liking them on FB to hear about TV developments.

View Profile of Pittsburgh pauly Send a personal message to Pittsburgh pauly  Goto the website of Pittsburgh pauly     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Maitai Mike
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-06-28 6:23 pm   Permalink

Wonder what kind of drinks they'll be serving in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia?

View Profile of Maitai Mike Send a personal message to Maitai Mike      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-29 12:03 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-06-28 18:23, Maitai Mike wrote:
Wonder what kind of drinks they'll be serving in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia?

Virgin Mai Tai's........

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Toli
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-07-02 6:07 pm   Permalink

I was at TV ATL a couple months on a return from a Florida tiki road trip. After a couple days at the Mai Kai expectations were low. I was blown away. It had a fantastic 70s hipster Tiki vibe. Best of all is the fact I was 100 feet away from the elevator to my room. Staff was amazing! I'm a smoker and after talking to the GM for a while he came back and gave me a couple trader ashtrays for no reason. Loved the place and I'm actually more excited about returning there then I am the Mai Kai.

View Profile of Tiki Toli Send a personal message to Tiki Toli      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Limbo Lizard
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-03 06:59 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-06-28 10:21, Pittsburgh pauly wrote:
... Jones Baker Interiors and Architecture .... posted some new drawings the other day...for a Trader Vic's in Iraq!

I saw an Al Qaeda jihadi drinking a Piña Colada at Trader Vic's. His suicide vest was perfect!

View Profile of Limbo Lizard Send a personal message to Limbo Lizard      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation