FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Collecting Tiki » » A Collection of Cannibals
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )
A Collection of Cannibals
Tiki-Kate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-14 6:48 pm   Permalink

I honestly can't recall when my obsession with the Cannibal Trio started, but it's difficult to immerse oneself in the world of Polynesian Pop without running across this group fairly frequently. These little guys really got around. They started in Bora Bora and got picked up by Don the Beachcomber, Steve Crane and several others.

I've always referred to them as Hunter, Catcher and Ingestor. I think I might have picked up those appellations from Bosko.

This weekend I purchased this set. It's one of those things that doesn't even make it onto your Holy Grail list because you can't imagine ever coming across something like this.

Sven asked for more pictures, so here you go.

Then, of course, I started thinking about my other cannibal collectibles.

The matchbooks. (The Harbor Hut in Morro Bay is missing the Hunter.)

The mystery swizzle.

The Doug Horne Mai Kai print.

The Oceanic Arts Bora Bora pole and Catcher statue.

Squid's pendant. Dave - Could you take care of those other two when you get a chance please?

The 2004 Hukilau Mug.

The 2007 Hukilau Mug.

The Thatch Mug.

I picked up this set of samples on ebay. I'm not sure if they were ever mass produced.

Here are a few images that I collected from the Mai Kai last year at Hukilau.

The Bora Bora lamp.

The Cannibal Trio from the old Mai Kai sign.

A few items from other collectors.

Kingstiedye has these salt & pepper shakers.

These Bosko mugs belong to TravelingJones.

This is Sven's dissection of the cannibals from a thread that was in Marketplace.

Quote:

On 2009-08-24 23:06, bigbrotiki wrote:
I could write a whole chapter on the cannibals, but I am still on a shoot and don't have the time. There are four basic styles in carving:

1.) The original Don The Beachcomber style:

2.) The Steve Crane Luau and Kon Tiki style:

3.) The Tahitian tourist Tiki style (seen at O.A.):

4.) The "Asian eyes mistake" Bora Bora post style:

The last ones grew out of the sloppy rendering done of Don's Tikis done on the original Don the Beachcomber menu, which failed to recognize the Marquesan "wrap around eyes":

... a mistake which was perpetuated by the Luau:

The Mai Kai artist did more justice to the Don style cannibals:

But the graphic history of the cannibals is another story. Back to the CARVINGS:
The original Don cannibals were his only pet Tikis, he had them in his back bar in Hollywood..

in his home in Encino:

...and used them as POSTS in his bars in Chicago:

...and Waikiki:

Darn....sorry, gotta go to work, -to be continued

View Profile of Tiki-Kate Send a personal message to Tiki-Kate  Goto the website of Tiki-Kate     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
little lost tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-14 6:58 pm   Permalink

Kate is Rad.....
no two ways about it!

YAY Cannibals!

View Profile of little lost tiki Send a personal message to little lost tiki  Email little lost tiki Goto the website of little lost tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
LoungeShark
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-14 7:01 pm   Permalink

Wow! Now I feel like an expert on them, too. Thanks for the education and pics.

View Profile of LoungeShark Send a personal message to LoungeShark      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-14 7:07 pm   Permalink

Here's a picture of the little ones at the Mai-Kai that I took during Hukilau 2008 ~

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Doctor Z
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-14 8:18 pm   Permalink

I always thought they were called "The Chase", "The Capture", amd "Full Tummy".

Don't know where I got that from...
Ask for it by name!

View Profile of Doctor Z Send a personal message to Doctor Z  Email Doctor Z     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-14 8:41 pm   Permalink

this is just a sick assumption,
but is it possible that its not a hunt,
but a birth, an eating, and a full tummy,?
as in eating ones young?

I know, I'm demented.
but you never know.

Jeff(btd)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-14 10:11 pm   Permalink

Not as sick as you might think: Not having any other forms of birth control at their disposal, but being aware that the resources on an island were limited, infanticide was an accepted form of birth control on Tahiti. So much for paradise.

Though the squatting birth position was common in the islands, and the middle figure could be interpreted as pulling the baby out between the legs, the fact that the "catcher" is clearly sitting on his victim seems to make the Cannibal concept more likely.

BUT: Cannibalism was NOT a Tahitian custom (unlike in the Marquesas), only human sacrifice, meaning ritual killing, but not ingesting. I believe that the influx of Marquesan carvers in Tahiti led to these puppies being called Bora Bora or Tahitian Cannibal carvings, but that their tradition and style actually hails from the Marquesas. Since no ancient examples exist, it is unclear if the concept is based on ancient tradition, or was an early whimsical idea to appeal to the tourists.

Quote:

On 2009-09-14 18:48, Tiki-Kate wrote:
I honestly can't recall when my obsession with the Cannibal Trio started...

...maybe with the BOT?

An early souvenir concept indeed, as the date 1923 now asserts. Fantastic, Kate, I never had any proof of first appearance. Now compare these to the fake repros that were up on T.C. a few weeks ago, and everyone will see the difference.

Now the question remains: Why, starting with Don, did everyone in Polynesian pop get the sequence wrong? Wasn't it obvious?

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-14 10:48 pm   Permalink

Here are some additional images of the original cannibals to illustrate their design -which has not been fully understood by many Tiki artists, since they were not privy to the originals.

the catcher:

the eater:

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
HOUSE OF KU
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-15 04:13 am   Permalink

One for you Big Bro....

Mai Kai shirt

Another eater...@ Spence Weaver's granddaughters house

Aloha, Freddie

View Profile of HOUSE OF KU Send a personal message to HOUSE OF KU  Email HOUSE OF KU     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-15 06:24 am   Permalink

That's such a great find. And they're in remarkably good condition. Congratulations Kate!

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
atomictonytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-15 06:30 am   Permalink

I was wondering if those carvings inspired the Indiana Jones idol...

View Profile of atomictonytiki Send a personal message to atomictonytiki  Goto the website of atomictonytiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AlohaStation
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-15 06:34 am   Permalink

My personal favorites

View Profile of AlohaStation Send a personal message to AlohaStation  Goto the website of AlohaStation     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
little lost tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-15 08:05 am   Permalink

WOW!
WHAT A LEARNIN HERE!
i always thought the Cannibals were arranged as thus...

Logically,it includes the WHOLE digestive process...

www.kinnyruzic.com Art Blogs Wishes Fulfilled!
I'm on Facebook too! under my real name Ken Ruzic
Yeeeeeeeah!

View Profile of little lost tiki Send a personal message to little lost tiki  Email little lost tiki Goto the website of little lost tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
naugatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-15 08:25 am   Permalink

I had a Sophie’s Choice moment with this one when years ago the owner told me I could buy one of the set while the other two were promised to someone else. It was my first large tiki and I’d love complete the set, alias.

View Profile of naugatiki Send a personal message to naugatiki  Email naugatiki Goto the website of naugatiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cloudmonkey
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-09-15 11:37 am   Permalink

This is some fascinating stuff.

Is the Harvey's signature tiki logo one of these cannibals?

The little guy is right where the big guy's mouth would be. Is this a very stylized version of the Eater?

View Profile of cloudmonkey Send a personal message to cloudmonkey  Goto the website of cloudmonkey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation