FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki A Collection of Cannibals
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )
A Collection of Cannibals
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-15 12:54 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-09-15 11:37, cloudmonkey wrote:
This is some fascinating stuff.

Is the Harvey's signature tiki logo one of these cannibals?

The little guy is right where the big guy's mouth would be. Is this a very stylized version of the Eater?

I believe the Harvey's guy rather is an attempt at this classic Tahitian god:

...which Picasso liked so much he had a replica made of it:

(both pics from Tiki Modern, pages 35/ 36)

Nice Steve Crane style Cannibal, Tikinomad, here is one of the poles that stood in front of the Hanalei Hotel/ Islands Restaurant before it got renovated:

...and we all know where IT originally came from, right?

And House of Ku: You OWN that shirt? And you know Spence Weaver's granddaughter? He had the pick of all the top shelf tourist carvings in his day!

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki 2009-09-15 12:56 ]

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kirby
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-15 2:39 pm   Permalink

This is a gear shifter i carved for my dunebuggy, with my interpretation of the tiki cannibal/headhunter, I particularly like when skulls are used in this way, I believe I have seen some examples in The book of tiki, as a polypop way of representing it but im not sure if the skulls were used in this way before that time.Sven?

[ This Message was edited by: kirby 2009-09-15 14:40 ]

View Profile of kirby Send a personal message to kirby  Email kirby Goto the website of kirby     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-15 3:46 pm   Permalink

The Portland Kon-Tiki cannibals, now at Thatch in Portland:

From the Jardin Tiki, Montreal:

And the Kon-Tiki cannibals at La Mariana (pretty much identical to the Luau pole bigbro posted):

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
little lost tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-15 4:05 pm   Permalink

Here's Mr. Daumer...
He ain't in any Tiki bars
but he IS a real cannibal....
so i thought he needed to be here....

View Profile of little lost tiki Send a personal message to little lost tiki  Email little lost tiki Goto the website of little lost tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cloudmonkey
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-09-15 9:51 pm   Permalink

bigbrotiki, what's the name of that Tahitian god the Harvey's logo is based on? It's very cool looking and I'd like to find out more about it. Is it Ta'aroa, their creation god? I couldn't find any images to compare.

Thanks!

View Profile of cloudmonkey Send a personal message to cloudmonkey  Goto the website of cloudmonkey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-15 10:29 pm   Permalink

Quite funny...but please let's not let this thread deteriorate into a Cannibal joke or all-about-cannibalism thread, there is too much fun to be had with the Cannibal Carving subject in itself.

Thank you for the Crane Cannibal dokumentation, GatorRob!

Kirby, you probably mean this guy from The Tikis:

...and no, I don't think there is an ancient precedent, he is pure Polynesian pop.

The concept in modern Tikidom of a head or figure between the legs is not neccessarily connected with the Cannibal concept, but often might be inspired by another ancient Polynesian tradition, that of the Maori:

...where it was connected with ancestor myths about birth, creation, maybe subjugation, but never cannibalism.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-15 10:34 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-09-15 21:51, cloudmonkey wrote:
bigbrotiki, what's the name of that Tahitian god the Harvey's logo is based on? It's very cool looking and I'd like to find out more about it. Is it Ta'aroa, their creation god? I couldn't find any images to compare.
Thanks!

I am not at home with my archive, but I think his name was A'aa, or something funny like that, from Rurutu. You can find him in many Oceanic art books, he was hollow and had many more "children" carvings in his belly.

Here's a prize question: Which other children did he inspire in Polynesian pop that we all know?

Sabu The Coconut Boy
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2009-09-15 11:23 pm   Permalink

Quote:

Here's a prize question: Which other children did he inspire in Polynesian pop that we all know?

Could it be this fellow from Disneyland's Tiki Room?

And the Tangaroa Babies that descend from his limbs?

Since the Ruruturu God, A'a has sometimes been identified with Tangaroa (Ta'aroa), the creator god?

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Koolau
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-15 11:24 pm   Permalink

That helmet-like head and "children" made me think of:

Tangaroa Baby

View Profile of Koolau Send a personal message to Koolau      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
atomictonytiki
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2009-09-16 05:50 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-09-15 12:54, bigbrotiki wrote:

...which Picasso liked so much he had a replica made of it:

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki 2009-09-15 12:56 ]

I don't think he personally had a replica made because I went to an exhibition which featured items from the Roland Penrose Archive (an early but influential collector of surrealists/da da/cubists) and they had the very same "Tangora god of the sea" cast.

It just shows that the surrealists had the best shops to visit, where you could buy casts of amazing Tikis.

Also the Tangora Babies are exactly like the small figures on the big tiki.

View Profile of atomictonytiki Send a personal message to atomictonytiki  Goto the website of atomictonytiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
little lost tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-16 08:09 am   Permalink

there's a whole book on Picasso's Oceanic Arts collection
but it's expensive....

www.kinnyruzic.com Art Blogs Wishes Fulfilled!
I'm on Facebook too! under my real name Ken Ruzic
Yeeeeeeeah!

View Profile of little lost tiki Send a personal message to little lost tiki  Email little lost tiki Goto the website of little lost tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BigToe
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2009-09-16 10:56 am   Permalink

Picasso was a cannibal???

big fun thread! thanks for starting it Kate!!!

i feel a painting coming on!

[ This Message was edited by: bigtoe 2009-09-16 13:12 ]

View Profile of BigToe Send a personal message to BigToe  Email BigToe Goto the website of BigToe     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-16 4:45 pm   Permalink

I too am enamored by the Tahitian cannibal trio. I love him so much I commissioned Flounder to do a burlap for me. I'm so glad we have these big carvings, ephemera, shirts & mugs, and folks who create new interpretations.

GREAT collection Kate! Thank you for sharing with us! I didn't know anyone else loved them as much as I do.

Great Minds Drink Alike

[ This Message was edited by: Tikiwahine 2009-09-16 16:57 ]

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-Kate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-16 5:35 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-09-14 22:11, bigbrotiki wrote:

Quote:

On 2009-09-14 18:48, Tiki-Kate wrote:
I honestly can't recall when my obsession with the Cannibal Trio started...

...maybe with the BOT?

I think you might be right, Sven.

I'm also quite taken with this image of the Kon Tiki menu from page 108 of Tiki Modern. It's on my list of things I'd like to carve. I need to finish about five other projects before I start anything new though.

And I'm so glad you posted the Flounder, TW. I came very close to including it in my original post, but I hoped that you would chime in here.

View Profile of Tiki-Kate Send a personal message to Tiki-Kate  Goto the website of Tiki-Kate     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2009-09-16 5:40 pm   Permalink

Congrats Kate...they are awesome. Thanks everyone for such great info and pix...really helps those of us that are still on the steep side of the learning curve.

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation