FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki A Collection of Cannibals
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )
A Collection of Cannibals
meega
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-11-28 1:08 pm   Permalink

You're right about being from different sets. Although the first two have different noses, the victims match, while the other two have different but matching style noses as well as different but matching victims.

View Profile of meega Send a personal message to meega  Email meega     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2009-11-28 4:02 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-09-18 10:36, Swanky wrote:
Does the lathe mark have anything to do with the carving, or is it simply a remnant of the original piece of wood being turned to make it round?

I've done enough lathe work to know that a lathe can only make things that have "radial symmetry"; candlesticks, bowls, chair legs, etc. My guess is that they were chucked in a lathe to form the basic shape; the roundness of the top of the head, the narrowing of the neck. The rest of the carving was done off the lathe. Now these could be carved with a CNC (computer numerical controlled) router.

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabu The Coconut Boy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-28 4:33 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-11-28 11:12, meega wrote:
I just ran across this on ebay. I'm assuming it's not a TC member because of the Maori description. I'm curious if this is a realistic price?(can't afford anyway - better off trying my own carve)

Vintage Maori Tikis - The Luau Tiki Bar Beverly Hills
http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Maori-Tikis-The-Luau-Tiki-Bar-Beverly-Hills_W0QQitemZ230405169319QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item35a537e0a7

This set has already been discussed on this thread:

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=33671&forum=12&hilite=cannibal

The experts all seem skeptical that these were ever at the Luau. The seller ended the previous auction early, possibly because folks began asking him too many questions that cast doubt on the authenticity? I wonder if he thinks enough time has passed to try selling them again.

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
1961surf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-05 4:17 pm   Permalink

He must..... here they are .

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230405169319&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

View Profile of 1961surf Send a personal message to 1961surf  Email 1961surf Goto the website of 1961surf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-06 09:31 am   Permalink

Oops! Wrong thread. Sorry

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-30 05:31 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-09-17 16:18, 1961surf wrote:
Quote:

On 2009-09-17 11:49, boutiki wrote:

[ This Message was edited by: boutiki 2009-09-17 11:50 ]

Definite lathe marks on the bottoms of Dukes cannibals -Sven .
Does this mean that they were not hand carved, and turned on lathe ?

Those Are lathe marks and could have been just to turn the square boards into rounds but you are most likely correct because the "duplicators" use the same system to hold and turn the piece as it is being carved along with the other dozen or so.

[ This Message was edited by: Benzart 2009-12-30 05:37 ]

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-30 11:56 am   Permalink

This thread coming up again, and being one of my favorite subjects, I want to share another theory about the history and evolution/devolution of the Cannibal Carvings:

We have seen (and discussed) many variations of the trio on menus and matchbooks, but for me, one of the most graphically intriguing pieces has always been this Kon Tiki Montreal menu cover:

Quite an elaborate concept! Was this just the artist's fanciful imagination? For that, it seems rather concise, with details like the cauldron bearers drawn into it:

The motif also appeared on matchbooks...

...and even on souvenir spoons:

(I want that spoon!)

Well, when perusing details of the Kon Tiki blueprints, in the "Luau Garden" we first notice one of the multiple waterfalls of the Kon Tiki emptying into a pool....but then another feature catches our attention!:

In the upper left corner, right by the pool, on a 6 inch high platform, stood what was called a "Sacrificial Altar"! The overhead view of a large round item surrounded by three smaller half-round pieces bears an uncanny resemblance to the grouping on the menu cover, and the name certainly befits the concept.

I unfortunately missed the opportunity to inquire about this detail when both of the Kon Tiki's designers were still alive, but what really condemns this find into the realm of theory is the fact that so far, no photographic evidence has surfaced which would prove the physical existence of this ensemble. This, my friends, would indeed be a stellar find!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-31 10:29 am   Permalink

We-hell, any opinions on this theory? If it existed, why was there no mention or photograph of it? And what was in the cauldron?

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Babalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-31 10:50 am   Permalink

Hey Big Bro, I certainly don't know if this "Sacrificial Alter" was really built on the Kon Tiki grounds or not, but I love the thought that it might have been. I'm very intrigued with the images you have presented to us all in the above posts - thanks...an adaption of these images should really should be made into a bowl. (without rabbits that is) Hummm....

View Profile of Babalu Send a personal message to Babalu  Email Babalu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-31 10:56 am   Permalink

I know! There it is, complete with a lid! I have so many great bowl and mug concepts, but somehow they are not being produced...

GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2009-12-31 11:26 am   Permalink

GROG have alot of mug ideas GROG not produce yet. Now that GROG unemployed and have kiln, GROG may be able to get some of these out in 2010.

GROG draw this quick sketch with a mouse on the computer over a year or two ago. It just the idea, not the final design, so forgive the crappy drawing. It part of a series GROG going to do called "MUGSHOTS" ( Ernest Keen) that are a combination of a mug and a shot glass.This is a "skull eater", but GROG may do a more tradional styled "cannibal tiki mugshot" too.

[ This Message was edited by: GROG 2009-12-31 11:27 ]

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Big Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-31 1:24 pm   Permalink

Great idea, Grog.

View Profile of Big Kahuna Send a personal message to Big Kahuna  Email Big Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-31 2:39 pm   Permalink

Nice design, indeed. Will the jaw be hinged, and the head tilts back to reveal the skull ?

...and now back to the Cannibal SACRIFICIAL ALTAR mystery:

Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-04 6:30 pm   Permalink

Bigbro,

The sacraficial altar is a great find, hope to see a photo.

Went to the Harbor Hut in Morro Bay over the holidays, here is the cannibal Tiki out front.

And, what a cool child's menu, the cannibal eating a ... child!

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
1961surf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-04 8:11 pm   Permalink

Nice images and photo DC.Something about tikis eating babies on a kids menu
is knuckle biter .

View Profile of 1961surf Send a personal message to 1961surf  Email 1961surf Goto the website of 1961surf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation