FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums ╗ ╗ Collecting Tiki ╗ ╗ A Collection of Cannibals
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )
A Collection of Cannibals
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-24 09:37 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-01-21 02:31, HOUSE OF KU wrote:
GatorRob... is this the guy??

Yes, I believe that's the one. And at $800, it's not surprising he's still there. Okay, back to cannibals...

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-24 12:22 pm   Permalink

But why!? I could look at that same shop front again and again!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-25 6:31 pm   Permalink

Forgot one, not posted on this thread so far: The Cannibal SWIZZLE STICK !

It is UNMARKED, and identical on both sides. The Cannibal's style is also unspecific, not copied from any particular known carving or rendering. Though the stick is vintage, it feels like of more recent vintage, the plastic is a bit more rubbery.

When did they start making the round ball stick ends, any swizzle collector club members here?

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabu The Coconut Boy
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-02-06 4:39 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-01-15 22:01, bigbrotiki wrote:

... in Miroslav Stingl's 1985 book "Kunst der Suedsee" says. It was photographed (obviously a bit later than the postcard) at the Arahu Rahu marae in Tahiti, which was reconstructed in the mid-50s:

Bigbro - thanks for the background on my postcard. The postcard itself says "MARAE ARAHURAHU" on the back, so you were right on.

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Zeta
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2010-02-06 8:28 pm   Permalink

I really think the cannibal tiki was inspired by this canoe figurehead. Bigbro showed this piece before on this thread but didn't mention the similarities...

Can you see?

View Profile of Zeta Send a personal message to Zeta  Goto the website of Zeta     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-07 10:06 am   Permalink

Umm....so why would I show it in this thread if not for its similarity?

The main difference to the other cult objects where the motif was similar is that nowhere else did the mouth-wrapping-around-the-head occur. That symbolism specifically speaks of cannibalism, while the mere holding of heads or humans symbolizes head hunting, (or birth, or myths about ancestors).

Cannibalism was not practiced universally in the South Seas (though it did occur in the Solomons), for example it did NOT exist in Tahiti, where the carvings hail from. Tahiti also did NOT have a pronounced carving style, but as with tourism demand for Tiki carvings rose, carvers that had moved there from the neighboring Marquesas Islands filled that need. Not only is the style of the Cannibal carvings basically Marquesan, but the tradition is, as the Marquesans DID practice cannibalism.

Bay Park Buzzy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-10 3:05 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-01-15 22:01, bigbrotiki wrote:

Here's another shot of that tiki from a Travels of Captain Cook book published in 1971

Buzzy Out

View Profile of Bay Park Buzzy Send a personal message to Bay Park Buzzy  Email Bay Park Buzzy Goto the website of Bay Park Buzzy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Mr. Unreasonable

Posted: 2010-06-20 9:54 pm   Permalink

Here's SHAG's version of the Mai-Kai Cannibals form this years Hukilau Aloha shirt and dress.

Very Nice!!

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-21 1:31 pm   Permalink

I got me one of those! (No, not the dress..)

Boris, I was expecting you to post Humuhumu's great Balhi Ha'i glass she had made for her home bar next :

inspired by the Beachcomber menu, this fine piece of glassware certainly belongs here too.

Bora Boris
Mr. Unreasonable

Posted: 2010-06-21 8:35 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-06-21 13:31, bigbrotiki wrote:

Boris, I was expecting you to post Humuhumu's great Balhi Ha'i glass she had made for her home bar next :

I was hoping someone who had a decent camera with an eye for lighting and detail would post a picture of one and voila there it is.

Great picture Bigbro!

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Vince Martini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-22 5:52 pm   Permalink

Thanks everyone, this thread rocks. But...

I WANT MORE!!!

View Profile of Vince Martini Send a personal message to Vince Martini  Email Vince Martini Goto the website of Vince Martini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Zeta
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2010-07-12 9:42 pm   Permalink

What do you people think about it? Tiki? Cannibal? both?

View Profile of Zeta Send a personal message to Zeta  Goto the website of Zeta     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikinomad
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-11-29 6:27 pm   Permalink

It's been awhile since I've found anything worthwhile "digging in the field" but I've recently unearthed some fine specimens from what I believe to be from the Hanalei Hotel. I travelled north to salvage 9 cannibal Tikis from the harsh elements. They need some serious TLC but I think the long drive was well worth it...

Here are three of them as I found them tied to various trees in a back yard in New Hampshire....

Here they are in my garage drying off after the long voyage home...

and here are some of the fellows as they migrate into my collection....

Happy hunting fellow urban archaeologists!

View Profile of Tikinomad Send a personal message to Tikinomad  Email Tikinomad Goto the website of Tikinomad     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
LOL Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-11-29 6:49 pm   Permalink

Congratulations - Great find! I think one of those guys needs to find his way back to San Diego...

Ovarian Cancer Research

View Profile of LOL Tiki Send a personal message to LOL Tiki  Email LOL Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
atomictonytiki
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2011-11-30 01:14 am   Permalink

This thread was a great source of inspiration when I was completing the design for my "Kai Kanak aka The Happy Cannibal".

View Profile of atomictonytiki Send a personal message to atomictonytiki  Goto the website of atomictonytiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation