FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki A Collection of Cannibals
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )
A Collection of Cannibals
HOUSE OF KU
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-11-30 01:23 am   Permalink

Saw these in Gecko'z studio a couple of weeks ago...

Aloha, Freddie

View Profile of HOUSE OF KU Send a personal message to HOUSE OF KU  Email HOUSE OF KU     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kon-Hemsby
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-11-30 04:38 am   Permalink

They are gorgeous. I would love those, although pretty costly I would expect.

View Profile of Kon-Hemsby Send a personal message to Kon-Hemsby  Email Kon-Hemsby     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MikeyTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-11-30 11:28 am   Permalink

Those look very similar to the set I got: (The second set made.)

and I know there is at least one more set out there: (The very first set made.)

[ This Message was edited by: MikeyTiki 2011-12-02 22:13 ]

View Profile of MikeyTiki Send a personal message to MikeyTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-11-30 11:55 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-06-20 21:54, Bora Boris wrote:
Here's SHAG's version of the Mai-Kai Cannibals form this years Hukilau Aloha shirt and dress.

Very Nice!!

Wow, Shag took the wrong eye thing to a whole new level! Instead of seeing them as "asian" eyes, he saw them as eyebrows and added eyes underneatht them!

Here is Tiki 65's set he carved.

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-12-06 07:30 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-11-29 18:27, Tikinomad wrote:
It's been awhile since I've found anything worthwhile "digging in the field" but I've recently unearthed some fine specimens from what I believe to be from the Hanalei Hotel. and here are some of the fellows as they migrate into my collection....

Happy hunting fellow urban archaeologists!

Tikinomad,

What a great find. You know, many of the Tikis at the Hanalei Hotel came from Steve Crane's original Luau restaurant in Beverly Hills. Here is a photo from the Luau posted by Sabu.

Sure looks like your cannibals on the right! This counts as a "double" find.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikinomad
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-12-06 07:38 am   Permalink

Thanks DC! I was very excited about this find...thank you for reposting that great photo from Sabu of Steve Cranes Luau too!

View Profile of Tikinomad Send a personal message to Tikinomad  Email Tikinomad Goto the website of Tikinomad     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-12-06 09:38 am   Permalink

Just as a reminder: Since all the Steven Crane's Kon Tikis were modeled after his The Luau, many had these cannibal posts in them, too. This is how some of them ended up at La Mariana:

Just like the Hanalei did with the Luau, La Mariana took these over from the closed down Waikiki Kon Tiki. So maybe Tiki Nomad's post is from the Boston, Chicago or Cleveland Kon Tikis.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikinomad
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-12-06 11:57 am   Permalink

Thanks for all the info Big Bro...the Boston Kon Tiki would make more sense because where I picked them up from was only about 1 1/2 north of Bean Town...

View Profile of Tikinomad Send a personal message to Tikinomad  Email Tikinomad Goto the website of Tikinomad     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uglyguy
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-12-07 6:31 pm   Permalink

Super Score Tikinomad. A whole bunch of them. Plus you saved them from rotting away. I was happy to get one years ago when ebay was just getting rolling. Mine was out of San Diego. I put a Luau matchbook on him and tell everyone he's from there. Thanks for the input on the Witco mask. Here he is. Aloha....

View Profile of uglyguy Send a personal message to uglyguy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Psycho Tiki D
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-01-07 2:58 pm   Permalink

Things turn up in the strangest places...

Found today, asssuming this is a cannibal carving/lamp?

PTD

View Profile of Psycho Tiki D Send a personal message to Psycho Tiki D  Email Psycho Tiki D     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
1961surf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-01-07 4:03 pm   Permalink

Killer lamp PTD !

View Profile of 1961surf Send a personal message to 1961surf  Email 1961surf Goto the website of 1961surf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-01-08 10:45 pm   Permalink

The stuff you find, PTD! What you have there is an original, vintage O.A. lamp! I am not at home so I can't post the catalog page, I will though later. Congratulations!

The "Youngen between the legs" does not necessarily denote a cannibal concept, in Maoridom it was quite common for fertility and other themes:

In the early 2000s, O.A. made 3 replicas of that Marquesan lamp Tiki which were given as Thank You trophies to Otto, Hanford and me for keeping Tiki Culture alive. Photos will folow.

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki 2012-01-08 22:47 ]

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-01-09 2:11 pm   Permalink

OK, here we go:

I have never seen one of those big O.A. table lamps in the wild - and with the original shade intact!
What "strange place" did you find it in, if I may ask?

The lamp is the same pattern than this freestanding O.A. Tiki:

Waitaminnit, something's missing on mine, you're saying now. Note the last line in the catalog caption:

And since the lamp was meant to sell for not only the rumpus room, but the whole house, I would assume it was never made WITH.

My modern trophy version mentioned above came uncensored, of course:

Here is a full frontal view, without spectators:

And here the nice plaque that Bob and Leroy had made for each of us.
Very sweet:

I feel that as a utilitarian object such as a lamp, this Tiki is even cooler.

Psycho Tiki D
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-01-09 3:22 pm   Permalink

bigbro,

Mahalo for posting the pictures from the OA sales brochure. Any idea what year these were carved? The tribute one looks great and I like the reflection of you on the plaque.

This is where I found this...a consignment shop in Salt Lake City.

http://saltlakecity.craigslist.org/fud/2786763358.html

PTD

View Profile of Psycho Tiki D Send a personal message to Psycho Tiki D  Email Psycho Tiki D     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-01-09 3:38 pm   Permalink

Can't help you with the exact age, we would have to ask them. The catalog came out in 1970, it was their first real collection of all their offerings. During the heyday of Tiki they were just too busy to make one, they went from job to job.

The plug looks quite old, how does the wiring look? I would guesstimate mid 60s to mid 70s.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation