FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts Uncle Trav's miniature tiki huts....Small Paradise. Trader's hut is finished !!
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )
Uncle Trav's miniature tiki huts....Small Paradise. Trader's hut is finished !!
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-16 1:02 pm   Permalink

Well I think being laid off from work is starting to effect me. I never intended to make a paper hut. I sat down the other morning and looked through my well used copy of The Book Of Tiki and wondered if I could make a Polynesian type roof line out of paper. Not the type of thing one usually thinks about but boring times call for boring measures. I used heavy card stock and cut out the roof line and after that I made the body and so on. It is not made to be any certain style or even be super detailed just kinda stylized. I just brushed the whole thing with the tiki handyman's secret weapon amber shellac. About 7 1/2" tall and about the same long. Diorama size I guess. I still have to even out the color but it looks ok sitting on the bar. Just thought I'd throw it out there as a first attempt at this type of thing for folks to see. Thanks.

Here's how it started. Sorry for the exotic setting of my stove top for background but the light was good.

[ This Message was edited by: uncle trav 2013-04-04 14:10 ]

[ This Message was edited by: uncle trav 2013-11-02 06:27 ]

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiG
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-16 1:10 pm   Permalink

Pretty freakin cool, uncle trav

Could this be your true calling? Architectural models of potential tiki temples?

This little model speaks volumes to me..inspires me to try a model sometime..Thanks for the post

tiki since '67!

View Profile of TikiG Send a personal message to TikiG  Email TikiG     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Lorilei
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-09-16 1:21 pm   Permalink

LOL, this is Frickin' Cool! You did an awesome job, especially on a first attempt. I admire your architectural skills,I probably would have cut a finger off, or glued them together or something!

Tainted Tiki eBay Store

View Profile of Lorilei Send a personal message to Lorilei  Email Lorilei     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2009-09-16 3:02 pm   Permalink

Well thought out and well executed. Love the rafter and the bamboo accents

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiMango
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-16 4:16 pm   Permalink

Great start! I think you're on to something. What will the future hold for the evolution of this laid-off, energy-consuming craft? Thatch roofs, removable tops, fully detailed interiors? Build your own "tiki archeology" kits? I think the sky's the limit. Keep going!

Well... maybe you can start by adding a floor?

[ This Message was edited by: TikiMango 2009-09-16 16:17 ]

View Profile of TikiMango Send a personal message to TikiMango  Email TikiMango     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-16 4:40 pm   Permalink

Thanks guys. I guess the floor would be a good next step. The bamboo is made from bar-b-q skewers. I made the segments in the bamboo with a pair of micro wire cutters and then dipped them in the shellac. The legs are made from cut up pencils with the paint scraped of and then shellacked. Gotta use whats around. Elmer's glue all the way. Like I said I never intended to get this far but I'm glad you like it. Thanks again.

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2009-09-16 5:00 pm   Permalink

I thought that was real bamboo! Excellent!

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mp
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-16 6:17 pm   Permalink

Beautiful! I want one x-large with a hammock inside.

View Profile of mp Send a personal message to mp  Email mp     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-17 04:53 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-09-16 18:17, mp wrote:
Beautiful! I want one x-large with a hammock inside.

Thanks mp. I think I'll stick to the smaller huts as the building materials are a little more in my budget. I'll try my hand at making a floor for the hut today and see how it comes out.

uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-17 07:07 am   Permalink

The new floor is installed. Gave it a rough plank look. Well I hope it kinda looks that way. More slapped on shellac for the floor. Kind of a weathered look. Here are some pics with the floor in.

TikiG
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-17 07:13 am   Permalink

There ya' go!

View Profile of TikiG Send a personal message to TikiG  Email TikiG     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bamboobeavis
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-09-23 2:14 pm   Permalink

When you told me about this on the phone I sure didn't have in mind what you really made, but let me tell you buddy, that is awesome. The detail is right on. I also like how you took pictures with the hut next to the jigger.

View Profile of bamboobeavis Send a personal message to bamboobeavis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2009-09-23 5:28 pm   Permalink

That's sweeter than Tupelo Honey!

Clarita
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-27 11:54 am   Permalink

Ha, very nice!

View Profile of Clarita Send a personal message to Clarita  Goto the website of Clarita     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-27 2:27 pm   Permalink

Thanks for all the kind words everyone. I'm glad to see you enjoy the hut. Here is another out of the blue attempt. A very small Kahiki I started today for no good reason. This thing is small. I'm not sure how much detail I'll be able to get when I'm done but it's all for fun anyway. Not meant to be an exact replica just something to have fun with. Thanks again.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation