FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts Uncle Trav's miniature tiki huts....Small Paradise. Diorama-o-rama
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 Next Page )
Uncle Trav's miniature tiki huts....Small Paradise. Diorama-o-rama
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-12-14 7:23 pm   Permalink

Thank you for all of the kind compliments. Here is a shot from the workbench. A whole lot of thatching going on. It's hard to make out in these photos but each row of thatch has hundreds of tiny cuts to make the detail of the thatch. Thanks again for taking a look.

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BigToe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-12-15 3:58 pm   Permalink

lookin good trav, you crazy sum-bitch!!!!

View Profile of BigToe Send a personal message to BigToe  Email BigToe Goto the website of BigToe     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-12-15 8:11 pm   Permalink

Crazy is right! This thing is sucking up a ton of time! Two Mai Kai restaurants in this world and one is on my kitchen table. I still have some work to do but I hope folks will recognize this model when they see it. Once again not an exact copy but a blend of my imagination and the real thing. I am going to do a sign for this one if I can figure out how. Thanks for taking a look.

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-12-15 8:35 pm   Permalink

Wow, sweet! And now, for the foliage...

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Big Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-12-15 10:01 pm   Permalink

Love it! Nice work, my friend.

View Profile of Big Kahuna Send a personal message to Big Kahuna  Email Big Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tigertail777
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-12-15 11:10 pm   Permalink

WOW. Incredible. What did you use to do the coloring on the thatching? I really like how it is uneven varying tones...just like the real thing!

View Profile of tigertail777 Send a personal message to tigertail777  Email tigertail777 Goto the website of tigertail777     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-12-16 07:05 am   Permalink

Thanks guys. Haven't even thought about foliage yet. I used amber shellac for the thatch. I think this works best on the paper I used. The amber light is from a small C7 bulb I installed in the base. All hand built and many many hours of work but it has been a fun project. Here is a pop can for scale and a look at the guts.

[ This Message was edited by: uncle trav 2011-12-16 07:11 ]

Beachbumz
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2011-12-16 7:47 pm   Permalink

Unreal Trav!
So Brada... What time Happy Hour start???

View Profile of Beachbumz Send a personal message to Beachbumz  Email Beachbumz     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-12-22 07:53 am   Permalink

No happy hour just yet. I still have to get the sign built but it is coming along.

MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2011-12-22 08:21 am   Permalink

Trav, I missed last week's post, the pictures of it all lit up are a thing of beauty! This is definitely one of your best and most ambitious projects.

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2011-12-22 08:55 am   Permalink

You have found your calling and we have found one fun thread to watch. If you are keeping what you make you could build the best village on earth a place we would all want to go. Thank you, Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiKIrby
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-12-23 2:30 pm   Permalink

Awesome, just awesome... I love the scale.

View Profile of TikiKIrby Send a personal message to TikiKIrby  Email TikiKIrby     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-01-17 10:09 pm   Permalink

Uncle Trav,

Another mini marvel, awesome work! Glad to own one of your masterpieces.

I saw this montage on the web and thought it might be a good look for your Mai Kai scene!

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Beachbumz
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2012-01-18 12:00 am   Permalink

That is sooooo Cool Trav!!!
Your detail is amazing. SWEET!

View Profile of Beachbumz Send a personal message to Beachbumz  Email Beachbumz     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-03-09 05:07 am   Permalink

Thanks for all of the kind words everyone. I finally hit the creative wall back in January and had to walk away from the miniatures for a bit. I am starting to try out some ideas for the sign for the mini Mai Kai but nothing to post as of yet. Thanks again for taking a look.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation