FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts Uncle Trav's miniature tiki huts....Small Paradise. Diving into a new project
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 Next Page )
Uncle Trav's miniature tiki huts....Small Paradise. Diving into a new project
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-03-13 10:39 am   Permalink

Thanks Mike. Here is the first attempt at the patina. I think it is looking ok.

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-03-13 7:51 pm   Permalink

Lookin good sir

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-03-14 10:20 am   Permalink

Love your step by step experiment. Would like to try this once I get hold of a diving helmet.

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-03-29 2:00 pm   Permalink

We'll work has been taking a toll on my fun time so progress has been slow on the diving helmet lamp. I was able to pick up a few items for the electrical wiring this weekend. I am going with a C-7 bulb and socket that should work out well. I will post some more progress photos soon. Thanks for taking a look!

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2016-03-29 2:27 pm   Permalink

Hey Trav, that patina turned out AWESOME!!!

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2016-04-10 05:15 am   Permalink

So is this light done?

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-04-15 3:42 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2016-04-10 05:15, tikiskip wrote:
So is this light done?

Unfortunately not yet. Now that the warmer weather is here work has picked up and so has yard work at the home ranch. I hope to have some free time soon to finish it up.

uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-05-01 06:18 am   Permalink

Well the mini helmet pendant is still not done. Damn work has been getting in the way. The patina finish is about done now. I wanted to age the glass to give it a matching feel but was not sure how to proceed. I got some good advice from Tikiskip on how to archive this. I decided to go with hitting the glass with some 80 grit sandpaper and them some 220 grit. Next I will make a thinned down paint wash of a couple of different colors to add some grime in the scratches. Still a work in progress folks. Here are some before and after pics. I will post more after I add the paint wash. Thanks for taking a look.

danlovestikis
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2016-05-01 09:32 am   Permalink

It sure looks like you nailed it. Good job. Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-05-05 8:16 pm   Permalink

Great look

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2016-05-05 8:58 pm   Permalink

Yeah! Looks great. If you're ever looking for something to put inside of it, this fake monkey skull might fit:
http://www.dappercadaver.com/products/budget-monkey-skull.html

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Philot
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-05-06 07:24 am   Permalink

What that diving helmet really screams out for is a miniature tiki grotto diorama inside of it.

Said the guy with more ideas than time or talent...

I always get a kick from watching your projects Uncle Trav!

View Profile of Philot Send a personal message to Philot      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-05-14 07:10 am   Permalink

Thanks for the kind comments everyone. I love the monkey skull idea and a diorama would be cool as well. I'm in the home stretch on the light. I blacked out the C-7 socket for the interior. Now I just have to wire it up and mount it in the helmet. I hope to have in done in time for a party tonight. I will be a special one for my daughter. Today is her b-day and she is moving to the west coast next week. Here is the blacked out socket before and after.

uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-05-15 05:54 am   Permalink

Finally got the helmet done and lit up. Kinda of anticlimactic by looking at the photos. Seeing it it person it is really striking. Everyone at the party last night loved it and said it fit the decor and feel of the bar perfectly. Those comments made the project worthwhile. I went with a blue C-7 bulb that gives a nice glow. I hung it from the bulkhead above the bar where people sit. It is small enough to be unobtrusive and makes an awesome accent light. Again the photos can't catch the true look and feel of the light. I have said it before but it still rings true. Giving new and frequent visitors to the bar something new to discover while having a cocktail in hand is always fun to see. Thanks for taking a look at my projects.

teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-05-15 09:59 am   Permalink

Awesome Work. Makes me think of the ending to Sponge Bob the Movie. Or even an alien space Sci Fi.
As far as snow in May goes, I don't think I've ever seen it. Even more reason to have a basement Tiki Bar.

View Profile of teaKEY Send a personal message to teaKEY  Email teaKEY Goto the website of teaKEY     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2017 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation