FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki The Reef, Stockton, CA (restaurant)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
The Reef, Stockton, CA (restaurant)
abstractiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-12-19 09:07 am   Permalink

The other day I was searching a Manteca CA phone book for Tiki. Manteca is about a 10 minute drive south from Stockton. One of the things I found was this ad for Massei's restaurant.

The name caught my eye as I knew it was the name of one of the owners of the Stockton Reef restaurant. I looked further and found that it said "Formerly The Reef"

The ad appeared in the 1968 Golden State Telephone Co. phone book. so I guess 1968 was end for the Reef restaurant in Stockton.

View Profile of abstractiki Send a personal message to abstractiki  Email abstractiki Goto the website of abstractiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
abstractiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-22 08:55 am   Permalink

Earlier this year I was contacted by Reef partner and kitchen manager Frank Yip's niece. She found me via Tiki Central. She put me in-touch with her mom who is Franks younger sister. I was finally able to meet with her yesterday and she shared many artifacts from this Stockton tiki temple.

She told me that the reef had tiki mugs in the early days but that people stole so many of them they stopped using them. They also had special Reef ash trays made in Honolulu and also Reef matchbooks.

Frank Yip also opened the Cathay restaurant that housed the Tiki Room at the Lodi Bowl bowling-ally. He sold his part in the Reef after a few years to Peter Massie who later turned it into Massie's Restaurant and Cocktail Lounge.

We did not have a lot of time and we agreed to meet again in October. She was very nice and gave me a Menu from The Cathay restaurant Frank opened in Lodi. More on that later in the Tokay Bowl Tiki Room thread.

Cool matchbook.

Love the words printed right on the matches.

Backside of Reef Postcard sent from Honolulu Hawaii.

Reef Postcard, the best images of The Reef ever discovered.

Invitation to soft opening at The Reef.

Inside of Chinese New Year celebration program.

Close up of The Reef advertising on back of Cathay restaurant menu.

Blank invitation to the Reef's 3rd year anniversary open house.

Reef ash tray made in Honolulu.

Ash tray underside.

There is more treasure and artifacts I will post soon.
Happy Hunting!

[ This Message was edited by: abstractiki 2013-09-22 09:02 ]

View Profile of abstractiki Send a personal message to abstractiki  Email abstractiki Goto the website of abstractiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-22 09:55 am   Permalink

Aaah abstract's at it again! Good work!

And I think I had missed the Tokay Bowl thread before...

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=37620&forum=2

"The Tiki Room Teenage Nite Club -Featuring Mistic Frantic Recording Artists
THE FANTASTIC PLASTIC MUSHROOM BAND" !!!

...how trippy!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
abstractiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-01 06:20 am   Permalink

Thanks big bro, I tried searching for that mushroom band but couldn't find anything. I would Love to see a picture of them.

Here are some newspaper artifacts of the Reef I got from Frank Yip's niece.

abstractiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-01 6:54 pm   Permalink

She also showed me the Reef Guest book. I looked inside and found the autographs of Hollywood Actors Chuck Connors, Charlton Heston, Bob Morgan and Chuck Robertson. They were in town for the filming of Big country.

We all know about Connors and Heston but I found out that Bob Morgan and Chuck Robertson were big time stunt men with hundreds of credits between them. Morgan also had 46 acting credits and Robertson had 144.

Morgan once appeared in an episode of a TV show called The Islanders and Robertson was in an episode of Lost in Space as an "Alien Fighter".

I do also recognize several names of prominent Stocktonians.

Front cover of the Reef guest book.

Autographs of Charlton Heston, Chuck Robertson, Bob Morgan and Chuck Connors.

Back cover of Reef guest book.

Inside cover with big autographs. I think one is Jean Simmons but i cant make it out for sure.

Inside label

abstractiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-01 8:04 pm   Permalink

When I met Mr. Yip's niece she told me this story of how Fabian was in town once filming a movie and came to the Reef. She said something like it was crazy with teenagers mobbing and trashing the place. Never again she said. I didn't give it much thought because I never heard of Fabian coming to Stockton but i just did a search and found that he made the movie High Time (released in 1960) in Stockton.

High Times movie promotional poster.

Movie still shot.

tobunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-01 10:51 pm   Permalink

WOW!!!

Abstractiki does it again! Thank you so much for uncovering another facet of forgotten tiki from Stockton's past!

The interior shots you've been able to post are fascinating! It would be so great of these places were still around today.

I'd be interested to see the ceramic masks that are mentioned in the newspaper article... if you can dig up photos of those... or better yet, the actual masks, that would be awesome!

You really need to compile all of your discoveries into a book... and call it something like "Mid-Century Central Valley Tiki"... I know an artist who is dying to create work for it! (hint hint... that would be me)

http://ericoctober.com

View Profile of tobunga Send a personal message to tobunga  Email tobunga Goto the website of tobunga     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation