FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Beyond Tiki The Film Noir Thread
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
The Film Noir Thread
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-25 7:26 pm   Permalink

John-O we have the Blue Dahlia on DVD.

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-25 9:09 pm   Permalink

Really, is it Region 1? I know it's available in Region 2 and probably as a grey market bootleg.

My last post had me check the latest status of my wish list. I just found out that Vidiots in Samo carries "Detective Story" and that "Dragnet" (1954 movie) is available via Amazon VOD.

[ This Message was edited by: JOHN-O 2009-09-25 23:25 ]

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-25 10:32 pm   Permalink

Yes, get Detective Story, not Noir, but Hard Boiled detective drama, a must see.

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-28 09:33 am   Permalink

John-O not sure, it says Fox Film Noir on top and it has the 20th Century Fox logo in the back.

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2009-09-29 5:02 pm   Permalink

John-O: Sheild For Murder was recently on TCM. I've seen most of the films on your list either on TCM or at Noir City, the annual film noir festival in San Francisco (every January for about 2 weeks), but I prefer seeing them on the big screen.

Last night I saw a pretty uncommon B-noir called The Burgler (1957) starring Dan Duryea (who was great) and Jayne Mansfield (who was pretty terrible). The original book and movie's screenplay was written by one of the best crime authors, David Goodis. It played at the Roxie theater in SF with a great Goodis screenplay film, Nightfall, also from 1957 and one of my absolute favorites. Both films had great location scenes, The Burgler in Atlantic City and Nightfall in Los Angeles (Miceli's in Hollywood is in the opening credits) and somewhere in the mountains (Sierras or Rockies). I recommend you put Nightfall on your must-see list.

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-29 6:30 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-09-25 22:32, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
Yes, get Detective Story, not Noir, but Hard Boiled detective drama, a must see.

ATP,

Dude, that ending was NOIR !!

Based on your comment I was expecting a happy ending (and I hate when that happens in Dark City).

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-29 6:40 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-09-29 17:02, thejab wrote:
John-O: Sheild For Murder was recently on TCM. I've seen most of the films on your list either on TCM or at Noir City, the annual film noir festival in San Francisco (every January for about 2 weeks), but I prefer seeing them on the big screen.

Last night I saw a pretty uncommon B-noir called The Burgler (1957) starring Dan Duryea (who was great) and Jayne Mansfield (who was pretty terrible). The original book and movie's screenplay was written by one of the best crime authors, David Goodis. It played at the Roxie theater in SF with a great Goodis screenplay film, Nightfall, also from 1957 and one of my absolute favorites. Both films had great location scenes, The Burgler in Atlantic City and Nightfall in Los Angeles (Miceli's in Hollywood is in the opening credits) and somewhere in the mountains (Sierras or Rockies). I recommend you put Nightfall on your must-see list.

TCM. Hmmm.... Maybe I'll have to get TV again.

Thanks for the suggestions. I just added Nightfall to my list and any movie with both Dan Duryea and Jayne Mansfield is a must see in my book.

I've always wondered about the Noir City festival being run in SF. Isn't LA supposed to be the real Noir City?

Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-29 11:29 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-09-29 18:30, JOHN-O wrote:
Quote:

On 2009-09-25 22:32, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:

ATP,

Dude, that ending was NOIR !!

Based on your comment I was expecting a happy ending (and I hate when that happens in Dark City).

I can't dispute your point of view, I like to include Detective Story in my idea of classic Noir...

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Fres-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-01 12:40 am   Permalink

"Cat People" (1942) a good dose of "noir horror."

View Profile of Fres-tiki Send a personal message to Fres-tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-01 01:01 am   Permalink

Yes! Val Lewton is Horror Noir!

thejab

Posted: 2009-10-01 3:53 pm   Permalink

Quote:

I've always wondered about the Noir City festival being run in SF. Isn't LA supposed to be the real Noir City?

I think it's a tie! One year at Noir City they showed LA vs SF, and there are great classic films set in both cities.

But LA seems more ideal as noir city because the auto-centered post-war urban/suburban setting is perfect for film noir. There's something about the endless sunshine contrasting with the dark criminal element. But SF has the fog and rain, which makes for great nighttime noir atmosphere.

A good book on SF film noir.

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-01 9:09 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-10-01 00:40, Fres-tiki wrote:
"Cat People" (1942) a good dose of "noir horror."

I actually like to think of it as "supernatural noir".

Yes, "Cat People". I also liked the 1982 remake with Nastassja Kinski.

My favorite Val Lewton is "I Walked with a Zombie" (1943).

Probably my favorite "supernatural noir" is neo-noir - Angel Heart (1987).

Here are my upcoming noir posts:

1. Top neo-noirs.
2. The most overrated classic noirs.
3. Good classic noirs that could have been great if Hollywood hadn't tacked on the last-minute "happy ending".

TikiGoddess
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-02 1:34 pm   Permalink

Scarlet Street starring Edward G. Robinson and Dan Duyea is excellent. No happy ending there certainly.
As for modern noir LA Confidential is great in my opin. I think alot of modern movies get the noir label undeservedly, but this one deserves it.

View Profile of TikiGoddess Send a personal message to TikiGoddess      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-09 01:11 am   Permalink

Check out any of the many films of Jules Dassin, cross genre at times, check out "Naked City"
I just picked up the Blu-Ray of Carol Reed's "The Third Man" I dig the post war Vienna location, great Cinematography and more.
Fritz Langs American movies are worth a see, if you have not already.

54 house of bamboo

Posted: 2009-10-12 3:43 pm   Permalink

Inspired by the programming of a British Film Noir festival at New York's Film Forum
http://www.filmforum.org/films/britnoir.html I have sought out as many of the films as possible to play at home through my LoveFilm subscription (like Netflix).

Why not try some?

The Stevenson Wedding Mug by Cheekytiki, 2006

[ This Message was edited by: 54 house of bamboo 2009-10-12 15:45 ]

View Profile of 54 house of bamboo Send a personal message to 54 house of bamboo      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation