FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Beyond Tiki The Film Noir Thread
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
The Film Noir Thread
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-26 7:05 pm   Permalink

Since "Breaker Morant" is a true story, historical court room drama that takes place during the Boer Wars.
it really does not fit into the Noir catagory,but squarely in "Courtroom Drama"

Edward Woodward is truly great in this movie, as is the whole cast, it is really a 4 star movie!

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Gnomon
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-29 11:39 am   Permalink

OK. How about "Natural Born Killers"? Is the Robert Downey, Jr. character "innocent" enough in his thinking he could scoop what he thought was the story of the century and still survive unscathed?

View Profile of The Gnomon Send a personal message to The Gnomon      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-29 11:58 am   Permalink

Well it would be consistent with Noir's long-running doomed "couple on the run" theme.....

1. They Live By Night (1949)
2. Gun Crazy (1949)
3. Bonnie & Clyde (1967) - Some say Noir, some say not.

For that I might classify it as Neo-Noir. I hated the movie though. Like "Sin City", there was too much cruelty and violence for my tastes.

The Robert Downey Jr. "Ace in the Hole" angle is interesting. It's been a while since I've seen the movie.

[ This Message was edited by: JOHN-O 2010-03-29 12:05 ]

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-29 12:47 pm   Permalink

Just skip it and go straight to "Ace in the Hole"

Billy Wilder expanded the range of what was Noir with this movie, by including social commentary as subtext.
it was considered to cynical & dark when it was released.

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiHardBop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-30 10:14 am   Permalink

These films fit motif of the non-conformist(s) being persecuted by society. This goes back ages -- anybody remember Romeo and Juliet, or even the story of Christ? They usually contain a character or two who are tempted by the non-conformist hero to join in the rebellion against society -- and must suffer or die for the act. And I must admit that there are strong parallels with (my) definition of classic noir, I'm kind of against classifying them as noir. I would put these examples in the hard-boiled crime definition - a superset of noir that does include elements of noir.

But not all films that fit the non-conformist being persecuted by society fit the hard-boiled crime definition. For example, the previously mentioned "Romeo and Juliet", "Spartacus", "Cool Hand Luke".

I do agree on "Ace in the Hole" being noir, though. My wife is a reporter and it rings so true even to this day.

P.S. One of my favorites in this motif is "The Vanishing Point"

View Profile of TikiHardBop Send a personal message to TikiHardBop  Goto the website of TikiHardBop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Gnomon
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-30 2:20 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-03-29 11:58, JOHN-O wrote:
For that I might classify it as Neo-Noir. I hated the movie though. Like "Sin City", there was too much cruelty and violence for my tastes.

Except for the fact that I don't hate, I'm with you there. I wouldn't watch it again. Same with "Ghost Dog" and "Pulp Fiction", but "NBK" was particularly troubling.

View Profile of The Gnomon Send a personal message to The Gnomon      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rum Runner
Official Man-About-Town  

Posted: 2010-04-12 8:27 pm   Permalink

Just saw The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, the first film in
The Millenium Trilogy from Sweden
Explosive acting debut from new Femme Fatale actress Noomi Repace
right up there with the girls from Run Lola Run and Le Femme Nikita

View Profile of Rum Runner Send a personal message to Rum Runner  Email Rum Runner     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-12 10:52 pm   Permalink

David Fincher is doing the american remake of The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo.

bongofury
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2010-05-14 3:48 pm   Permalink

I am a fan of Film Noir also. I started taping movies off TV back in the early 80s and have a large collection of mystery, detective, and film noir. I started trying to collect detective movies like Charlie Chan, Mr. Moto, Michael Shayne, Philo Vance, etc. When I started collecting Tiki and Hawaiian stuff I paid more attention to ones I had with Hawaii or Tiki bar scenes (Hell's Half Acre, Jungle Heat, A Guy Named Joe, Forbidden Island, etc.) I am a big fan of the Dick Powell movies "Cornered" and "Murder My Sweet". TikiG....I have a copy of Man In The Dark & John O....I have most of the movies on your wish list. If anyone is looking for something, shoot me a pm or email....

View Profile of bongofury Send a personal message to bongofury  Email bongofury     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-14 6:12 pm   Permalink

Dick Powell ?? I just saw "Cry Danger" last month at the Film Noir festival at the American Cinematheque (Egyptian Theater) in Hollywood. He starred it in along with Rhonda Fleming. Just when you think you've seen all of the Noir classics, an "undiscovered" gem like this is screened. It was recently restored by the UCLA Televison and Film Archive.

I don't want to spoil the film for anyone (in case it gets released on DVD) but it's probably one of the best Noirs that I've ever seen. It had all of the classic Noir elements, not to mention some of the snappiest dialog this side of "Double Indemnity" and "Sweet Smell of Success". Credit, the screenwriter William Bowers who was also responsible for the co-bill "Tight Spot".

Rhonda Fleming attended the event and spoke of her experiences. At 87, she still oozed classic movie star glamour !!

"Hell's Half Acre" is high on my to-see list. I think it's the only classic Noir to have taken place in Hawaii. Bongo, did they actually shoot scenes there ?? I've never heard of "Forbidden Island". Cool title, I must research it.

[ This Message was edited by: JOHN-O 2010-05-14 18:37 ]

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-14 6:58 pm   Permalink

I will have to see Cry Danger, missed that one, lots of praise there John-O.

bongofury
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2010-05-15 1:50 pm   Permalink

Hell's Half Acre was all shot in Honolulu except one short scene in San Francisco (probably a Hollywood set). Don Beach was technical adviser. The rare book "Hawaii In The Movies" 1898-1959 confirmed my suspicions that "Chet's Hawaiian Retreat" was actually Don The Beachcomber's. There is about 20 minutes of exteriors & interiors of DTB. Key Luke from the Charlie Chan series is also in it. Jungle Heat was filmed entirely on Kauai and the bar at the Coco Palms hotel and features a score by Les Baxter. Forbidden Island was filmed at Silver Springs in Florida except the "Phillipine Bar" scenes that according to Martin Denny (he is Marty the piano player in the bar) those scenes were shot at Trader Vic's in Honolulu.

Cry Danger is excellent!

View Profile of bongofury Send a personal message to bongofury  Email bongofury     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-15 4:38 pm   Permalink

Well it looks like none of the movies mention are in print at the moment
Checked Netflix & Amazon.com, anyone have any info on future releases?

bongofury
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2010-05-15 4:41 pm   Permalink

I can do a trade on anything you are looking for.

JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-16 10:51 am   Permalink

I tried to find more background on ""Jungle Heat and "Forbidden Island". Not much, but here's a couple of images...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0050579
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0052818/

Bongo, would you really consider these Noirs, or are they more Tropical-based mystery thrillers? At any rate, they're significant for their Tiki/Exotica connection. (ATP, they might also be available via grey market bootleg.)

I really want to see "Hell's Half Acre" on the big screen. The "Czar of Noir" Eddie Muller mentions it in book "Dark City" so I definitely consider that film Noir. Also I've seen it listed on the bill for major Film Noir festivals. American Cinematheque is doing their Tiki film festival next month so I can only hope it might qualify and show up on the bill.

Here's some images. Check out Marie Windsor in the B&W still below. She a major "Dark City Dame".

"A woman who believes her missing husband is in prison in Hawaii on a murder charge travels there to see if it actually is him. However, he escapes before she sees him, when he hears that his current girlfriend has been murdered. The wife searches the slum area of Honolulu known as Hell's Half Acre for him, he searches for his girlfriend's killer, and his gangland associates are looking for the two of them."

Bongo, do you ever make it out to the Tonga Hut? Maybe owner Jeremy can be talked into doing a "Tiki Noir" film festival some night using your tapes.

Dude, you know what I really want a copy of? That rare Hawaii film book you have. I'm going to see if it's circulating in the LAPL system.

[ This Message was edited by: JOHN-O 2010-05-16 10:58 ]

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation