FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Beyond Tiki » » The Film Noir Thread
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
The Film Noir Thread
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-29 5:10 pm   Permalink

Just in time for Halloween how about the Noir/Horror movies.

I just watched "Curse of the Demon" from great Noir Director: Jacques Tourneur (Out of the Past)
it is a horror story made in the Noir style with cast Dana Andrews & Peggy Cummins

The restored version is "Curse of the Demon" but was also released under the title "Night of the Demon" in an edited version.

synopsis:
Dr. John Holden ventures to London to attend a paranormal psychology symposium with the intention to expose devil cult leader, Julian Karswell. Holden is a skeptic and does not believe in Karswell's power. Nonetheless, he accepts an invitation to stay at Karswell's estate, along with Joanna Harrington...

Quotes
Dr. John Holden: Sit down. Your generosity is becoming overwhelming as it gets closer to ten o'clock. You're staying with me, Karswell. You've sold your bill of goods too well, because I believe you now. I believe that in five minutes something monstrous and horrible is going to happen. And when it does, you're going to be here so that whatever happens to me will happen to you.

I saw this as a kid but had little memory of it except for the monster, a really top notch effort.

Time to brake out the Val Lewton movies!

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-31 03:16 am   Permalink

How about Foreign Noir,In this case Japan.

From the late 1950s through the sixties, wild, idiosyncratic crime movies were the brutal and boisterous business of Nikkatsu, the oldest film studio in Japan.

In an effort to attract youthful audiences growing increasingly accustomed to American and French big-screen imports, Nikkatsu began producing action potboilers (mukokuseki akushun, or “borderless action”) that incorporated elements of the western, comedy, gangster, and teen-rebel genres from stylistically daring directors as Seijun Suzuki, Toshio Masuda, and Takashi Nomura.

Criterion just released these in the USA

I Am Waiting
Koreyoshi Kurahara 1957

In Koreyoshi Kurahara’s directorial debut, rebel matinee idol Yujiro Ishihara stars as a restaurant manager and former boxer who saves a beautiful, suicidal club hostess (Mie Kitahara) trying to escape the clutches of her gangster employer.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rusty Knife
Toshio Masuda 1958

In Toshio Masuda’s smash Rusty Knife, Yujiro Ishihara and fellow top Nikkatsu star Akira Kobayashi play former hoodlums trying to leave behind a life of crime, but their past comes back to haunt them when the authorities seek them out as murder witnesses.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Take Aim at the Police Van
Seijun Suzuki 1960

At the beginning of Seijun Suzuki’s taut and twisty whodunit, a prison truck is attacked and a convict inside is murdered. The penitentiary warden on duty, Daijiro (Michitaro Mizushima), is accused of negligence and suspended, only to take it upon himself to track down the killers.

Cruel Gun Story
Takumi Furukawa 1964

Fresh out of the slammer, Togawa (Branded to Kill’s Joe Shishido) has no chance to go straight because he is immediately coerced by a wealthy mob boss into organizing the heist of an armored car carrying racetrack receipts.

A Colt Is My Passport
Takashi Nomura 1967

One of Japanese cinema’s supreme emulations of American noir, Takashi Nomura’s A Colt Is My Passport is a down-and-dirty but gorgeously photographed yakuza film starring Joe Shishido as a hard-boiled hit man caught between rival gangs.

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-02-28 5:08 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-05-14 18:58, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
I will have to see Cry Danger, missed that one, lots of praise there John-O.

Not on DVD and screening on Fri, March 18th at...

Billy Wilder Theater
Courtyard Level, Hammer Museum
10899 Wilshire Boulevard (intersection of Wilshire and Westwood Boulevards)
Los Angeles, CA 90024

http://www.cinema.ucla.edu/calendar/calendardetails.aspx?details_type=2&id=441#screening_1572

With 1951 costar Rhonda Flemming in person no less !!

This is a fantastic little known Film Noir gem.

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-03-31 11:12 am   Permalink

Any other fellow Noir Tikiphiles going to check this out other than CalTiki and me ??

If so, it's pre/post cocktails at Musso's.

This thread is no fun anymore ever since Atomic Tiki Punk got kicked off TC.

[ This Message was edited by: JOHN-O 2011-03-31 17:59 ]

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chuck Tatum is Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-03 9:41 pm   Permalink

What a great thread John-O! sorry I did not find this earlier.

View Profile of Chuck Tatum is Tiki Send a personal message to Chuck Tatum is Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chuck Tatum is Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-22 11:36 am   Permalink

I am still catching up with the suggested movies on John-Os thread
"Kiss Me Deadly" was just released on Blu-ray from Criterion
one of my favorites that influenced a few other movies like "Pulp Fiction" & "Repo Man" etc.

CTiT

View Profile of Chuck Tatum is Tiki Send a personal message to Chuck Tatum is Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTomD
Grand Member (4 years)  

Posted: 2011-06-22 3:41 pm   Permalink

Thanks CTiT for resurfacing this JOHN-O thread; didn’t know it was here on TC.

The Big Heat (1953) is memorable to me not only as classic film noir, but for another reason. Through a friend, my wife and I got to visit Glenn Ford in 2003 at his Beverly Hills home on 911 Oxford Way. Glenn was always one of my favorite actors, and it was very gracious of him to see us, given the ill health that he was in (he passed away only three years later at age 90). During the introductions, Glenn quipped, “Glad you survived your suicide, Tom!” By sheer coincidence, my first and last names are the same as the corrupt cop who committed suicide in the opening scene of this movie, and Glenn was pointedly referring to my apparently bad aim.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V52AeJibEOY

-Tom

View Profile of TikiTomD Send a personal message to TikiTomD      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chuck Tatum is Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-22 9:29 pm   Permalink

A great choice TikiTomD and Fritz Lang's "The Big Heat" is one of the classic Noir's.

[ This Message was edited by: Chuck Tatum is Tiki 2011-06-23 01:51 ]

ErkNoLikeFire
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-23 12:10 am   Permalink

Just picked up Kansas City Confidential but haven't watched it yet. I can't seem to tear myself away from L.A. Noire.

“The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass.” Martin Mull

"Rum is not drinking, it's surviving" Robert Shaw THE DEEP

View Profile of ErkNoLikeFire Send a personal message to ErkNoLikeFire  Email ErkNoLikeFire     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chuck Tatum is Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-23 02:07 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-06-23 00:10, ErkNoLikeFire wrote:
Just picked up Kansas City Confidential but haven't watched it yet. I can't seem to tear myself away from L.A. Noire.

I picked up the Blu-Ray of "Kansas City Confidential" also, it has been a while since I caught it on TCM
and I have not watched it on disc yet also, Eric.

Lets compare notes when you get around to watching it.

TikiTomD
Grand Member (4 years)  

Posted: 2011-06-23 04:38 am   Permalink

Easily my favorite sci-fi tech noir film is Blade Runner (1982). However, Gattaca (1997), starring Ethan Hawke, Uma Thurmond and Jude Law, is a close second. It has a strong noir feel to it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oeJlaIc8Fs0&feature=related

-Tom

View Profile of TikiTomD Send a personal message to TikiTomD      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chuck Tatum is Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-23 10:41 am   Permalink

How about "Dark City"?

TikiTomD
Grand Member (4 years)  

Posted: 2011-06-23 5:25 pm   Permalink

CTiT, Dark City (1998) definitely makes my list. It drips noir in its visual dreariness, though the ending is a bit more hopeful than the usual noir classic.

Chuck Tatum is Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-23 6:44 pm   Permalink

I really think Kiefer Sutherland was channeling Peter Lorre in "Dark City"
And with classic Noir themes of the protagonist who has no memory of the crime,murder,femme fatale etc.

ErkNoLikeFire
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-05 11:40 pm   Permalink

I Have He Ran All the Way (1951) on in the background, Seems to be a decent noir style thriller. Good tense scene of John Garfield trying to evade the cops by blending in at a public pool.

“The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass.” Martin Mull

"Rum is not drinking, it's surviving" Robert Shaw THE DEEP

View Profile of ErkNoLikeFire Send a personal message to ErkNoLikeFire  Email ErkNoLikeFire     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation