FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Events » » California Events » » TIKOT! - Visions from the Tiki Tarot @ FBG thru November
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 Next Page )
TIKOT! - Visions from the Tiki Tarot @ FBG thru November
hodadhank
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-04 1:01 pm   Permalink

The Hanged Man is Key Twelve in the TIKOT! Major Arcana.

Atomic Tony Tiki gives us a tongue-in-cheek spin on Disney's Enchanted Tiki Room Tangaroa tree and its dangling babies. A card of profound but veiled signifigance, The Hanged Man grins serenely having let go of worldly attachments and in letting go gains a profound perspective accessible only to someone free from everyday conceptual, dualistic reality. Legs are crossed forming a digit 4, the number which rules one’s sense of “I AM” and ego, his bent knee symbolizing flexibility to bend to the will of a higher consciousness. The image, as a whole, suggests life in suspension, not death, but a hero committed enough to the adventure to die for it.

The Hanged Man by Atomic Tony Tiki of Bangkok, Thailand.
Acrylic on canvas
$200.00

[ This Message was edited by: hodadhank 2009-11-06 13:51 ]

View Profile of hodadhank Send a personal message to hodadhank      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hodadhank
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-04 3:43 pm   Permalink

Strength is Key eight in the TIKOT! Major Arcana.

4WD Bill Collins gives us a version of Strength as physically imposing as elegant. A Marquesan female figure straddles a submissive lion emulating classic mid-century cannibal images. Carved from a single piece of palm wood they are as one, the lion representing the primal or id-like part of the mind, and the woman, the 'higher' or more elevated parts of the mind. Associated with Leo, this card stresses discipline and control while implying a potency that is sexual, creative, and intuitive.

Strength by 4WD Bill Collins of Vista, California USA
Carved Palmwood
$400

NOTE This sculpture is available for pick up only and stands 53" tall.

[ This Message was edited by: hodadhank 2009-11-04 18:16 ]

View Profile of hodadhank Send a personal message to hodadhank      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hodadhank
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-04 4:29 pm   Permalink

Temperance is Key Fourteen of the TIKOT! Major Arcana.

Heather Watts portrays the cardinal virtue of Temperance in the form of a winged mermaid. Partly terrestrial, partly a thing of the dark sea she embodies the opposites of both worlds to produce sublime balance. She pours liquid from a flower into a skull mug who's effervescence return to the flower perpetuating the process of life and death indefinitely. A glowing fish float replaces the traditional setting sun as representative of the death of ego. This underworld card seems right at home on black velvet and should serve as a reminder that a compromise between two seemingly incompatible options is often the best option.

Temperance by Heather Watts of Vancouver BC, Canada
Acrylic on Black Velvet, framed
$650.00

[ This Message was edited by: hodadhank 2009-11-06 13:52 ]

hodadhank
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-06 12:02 pm   Permalink

The Wheel is Key Ten in the TIKOT! Major Arcana.

S.L. Grice gives us a Wheel rich with symbolism dating back to the early 15th century. Here, a Polynesian version of the goddess Fortuna spins at random, changing the positions of Tikis on the wheel - some suffering great misfortune, others gaining windfalls. Replacing the traditional Sphinx (objectivity), the Monkey (flexibility) and the Crocodile (creative power) with the Pueo (owl), Tako (octopus) and Mano (the shark), we see qualities the Querant will need to achieve prosperity. The flying pig has been caught, cooked and presented on a table of Taro leaves as a symbol of abundance. Attended by a smiling Menehune, Fortuna stands poised for the spinning, but even one step removed from outcome herself as her eyeless puppet tiki has his hand on the lever.

The Wheel by S.L. Grice of Seattle Washington USA
Acrylic on canvas
$875
***SOLD***

[ This Message was edited by: hodadhank 2009-11-09 12:56 ]

Tiki Shaker
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2009-11-08 4:39 pm   Permalink

I finally was able to go down and see the show today. Awesome work everyone! If anyone hasn't had the chance to go down there, please do, you wont be disappointed!

View Profile of Tiki Shaker Send a personal message to Tiki Shaker  Email Tiki Shaker     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
atomikitty
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-08 4:40 pm   Permalink

Can't wait to come see this great show in person, and visit with the always awesome Hodad Hank and Freaky Boutiki team!

Hoping to get down there next weekend.
Anyone else who didn't get to the opening night event wanna make a road-trip?

Hank, thanks SO MUCH for organizing such a unique and inspiring show, and for letting me be a part of the magic.

The write up you posted with my piece is absolutely beautiful-couldn't have put it in better words myself!

MUCHO MAHALO for all you do to support, encourage and inspire your tiki artist Ohana!

~ Suzy
*Atomikitty*

View Profile of atomikitty Send a personal message to atomikitty  Email atomikitty Goto the website of atomikitty     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-09 12:08 pm   Permalink

sorry if I missed the info, but when will this show be up till?
I am planning on going to SD area on Sat the 21st.
Hope I can see it then.

Jeff(btd)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hodadhank
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-09 2:00 pm   Permalink

The Hierophant is Key Five of the TIKOT! Major Arcana.

Erin Joy's hipster Hierophant derives his name from the wise chief priest of the Eleusinian Mysteries and stands for any religion or orthodox theology. With five eyes representing the five senses, and appendages that nod to the Papal triple cross, he looms from his shadowbox with one hand raised in beatnik benediction. Two fingers pointing skyward and two pointing down form a bridge between heaven and earth. Attended by two tiki, twin keys to the kingdom heaven, he prepares the querant spiritually for life's adventures and as Freud’s superego, shapes us, sometimes brutally.

The Hierophant by Erin Joy of Oceanside CA USA
$280
***SOLD***

[ This Message was edited by: hodadhank 2009-11-09 14:01 ]

Tiki Shaker
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2009-11-09 2:45 pm   Permalink

Erin Joy's piece is stunning in person. Amazing amount of detail.

View Profile of Tiki Shaker Send a personal message to Tiki Shaker  Email Tiki Shaker     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hodadhank
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-09 3:07 pm   Permalink

The Hermit is Key Nine in the TIKOT! Major Arcana.

HodadHank's Hawaiian bearded Tiki Hermit carefully treads a darkened lava wastland iluminated only by a glowing fugu lamp, magical receptacle for the knowledge and wisdom he has acquired through years of study and meditation. He represents a wise, inspirational person, friend or teacher. His staff embodies the weight of his experience, upon which he leans for support. Believed to grant special powers, The Hermit is dressed in the feathered cloak and headress of a Hawaiian Kalani'opu'ua. A pop cultural nod to Swiss fantasy artist Barrington Coleby's most famous version of this card is evident in the lower right. "There's a feeling I get when I look to the west and my spirit is crying for leaving..."

The Hermit by Hodad Hank of Mission Beach, California USA
Kilz & flame on antique tongue & groove beach shanty panels
$200
***SOLD***

[ This Message was edited by: hodadhank 2009-11-23 09:45 ]

bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-09 3:19 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-11-09 12:08, bigtikidude wrote:
sorry if I missed the info, but when will this show be up till?
I am planning on going to SD area on Sat the 21st.
Hope I can see it then.

Jeff(btd)

ahem?

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
little lost tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-09 3:34 pm   Permalink

Try a PM
or call the Shop
Dummy!

No use soundin like one of them old ladies who
gets impatient and grunts in line
at the grocery store....

View Profile of little lost tiki Send a personal message to little lost tiki  Email little lost tiki Goto the website of little lost tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-09 4:40 pm   Permalink

I thought that if I asked publicly then other people that wanted to know, might get the answer also.

so bite me.

Jeff(btd)

4WDtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-09 5:14 pm   Permalink

I was told the show is thru the month of November.

View Profile of 4WDtiki Send a personal message to 4WDtiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-09 6:13 pm   Permalink

Thank you sir,
you are a Scholar and a Gentleman.

Jeff(btd)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation