FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving How To Darken Lines?
How To Darken Lines?
Danny Deuce
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-09-25 11:27 pm   Permalink

I just finished carving my first tiki, and I was wondering if anyone would be able to tell me how to darken the lines on my tiki like in this picture?

View Profile of Danny Deuce Send a personal message to Danny Deuce      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
laojia
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-26 12:22 am   Permalink

Welcome on TC Danny!

To darken line you can torching it or, more simply, stain it before re-sanding. If the lines are fairly deep stain will stay inside...

Hope this help!

J.

View Profile of laojia Send a personal message to laojia      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiMango
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-26 05:33 am   Permalink

Some people even use spray paint in the grooves. Sand away the over spray.

View Profile of TikiMango Send a personal message to TikiMango  Email TikiMango     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pjc5150
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-26 12:02 pm   Permalink

I put the torch on it & then sand the charr off the spots that I don't want to be blackened.

[ This Message was edited by: pjc5150 2009-09-26 12:05 ]

View Profile of pjc5150 Send a personal message to pjc5150      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Danny Deuce
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-09-27 05:10 am   Permalink

Awesome thanks guys!, I'll do that tommorow, and post pictures of the finished tiki

View Profile of Danny Deuce Send a personal message to Danny Deuce      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-28 09:33 am   Permalink

Torch does not get in deep cuts well. After you torch, take a stiff bristle brush to rub it in a bit and clean up. But, Better to put some paint or stain in the cuts first.

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Danny Deuce
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-09-28 6:42 pm   Permalink

Thanks guys, I tried the torch to darken the lines, the torch I used though, the flame was too big, so I inverted my idea. Here is the finished Tiki, Im pretty happy with it for my first tiki, but the body couldve done with more work.

BIG tiki scott
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-12 8:20 pm   Permalink

i agree w swanky. i usualy burn all areas i want dark sand off any over burn then take black enamal paint and thin w paint thinner or mineral spirits till watery kinda makes a black stain. then apply w small brush and rubb it in w my finger or cloth or what ever will fit to blend it in w the burn to look natural. all of these ideas are great just puttin that out there. good luck!! cheers!

View Profile of BIG tiki scott Send a personal message to BIG tiki scott  Email BIG tiki scott Goto the website of BIG tiki scott     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation