FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki In Search of Frank Bowers...
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 )
In Search of Frank Bowers...
HopeChest
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-08-11 1:32 pm   Permalink

Off topic, but MAN - how good of a drummer would you have to be to drum with Gene Krupa?!?!?

View Profile of HopeChest Send a personal message to HopeChest      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2017-08-11 3:31 pm   Permalink

Right?

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Pele Paul
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-08-11 3:39 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-12-13 19:35, bigbrotiki wrote:
John-O, you're such a lush! Well, here is MY groundbreaking discovery -except it's not really mine, it was BORIS who discovered this previously unknown piece of Bowers ephemera, and I thank him very much!

I apologize in advance/ in retrospect if I outbid anyone on this (Sabu? John-O?), but I just had to have it:

I show most but not all pages, Bowers' style was definitely Pre-Tiki, more 30s/40s...

The animals were drawn by his wife Vicki.

And here's what WE like, the...

My favorite is actually the back cover:

wow these are awesome!!! Id love to pattern my style after him!!! i need these books!!! INCREDIBLE tiki style
he was ahead of his time !!!!

View Profile of Pele Paul Send a personal message to Pele Paul  Email Pele Paul     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Otto
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2018-09-02 4:57 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2016-08-06 16:41, msteeln wrote:
forgive me if this site is well known https://lamodern.com/2013/09/frank-bowers-l-a-muralist/

above link is broke so here is updated link
https://lamodern.com/auctions/2013/10/1/469

and here is the content in case that link gets broken soon. It's a three-panel mural
Lot 469: Frank Bowers
Mural
Oil on canvas
Signed and dated "Frank Bowers/47" lower left
71" x 400"
Estimate: $18,000 - $25,00

Frank Howard Bowers (1905-1964) was an American painter and muralist born in California. He moved to Los Angeles during the Depression Era and was assigned to execute grand-scale murals for the WPA's Federal Art Project as part of President Roosevelt's New Deal program. Noteworthy commissions include a mural for the interior of the South Gate, California City Hall in 1941, and a series of murals for the Fruit Growers Exchange in Downtown Los Angeles (also known as the Sunkist Building, which has since been demolished) in the early 1930s. Aside from his involvement in the Federal Art Project he also leisurely painted several custom oil on canvas murals for bars and lounges in and around Long Beach and South Los Angeles. Some of the commissions were reportedly in exchange for his bar tab.

This mural was executed for the interior of restaurateur Vivian Laird's Restaurant and Jungle Room in Long Beach. Los Angelenos may find some of these tremendous murals in situ at the Veterans of Foreign Wars Hall and Buccaneer Lounge in Sierra Madre, Foc'sle Bar in Wilmington, and outside state lines at the Hard Hat Lounge in Las Vegas, Nevada.

View Profile of Otto Send a personal message to Otto  Goto the website of Otto     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2018 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation