FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Cheapest/Easiest Tiki Drink for a Large Party
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Cheapest/Easiest Tiki Drink for a Large Party
loneranger84
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-09-29 11:22 am   Permalink

I am looking for an inexpensive, somewhat easy-to-make punch-style drink that I can serve at a Halloween party with 20 people or so.

These people will probably not appreciate a well-mixed synergy of a Tiki drink and simply want to get drunk. (Let's call a spade a spade here.)

What would you guys make in this situation?

I'm leaning toward a Sidewinder's Fang with the idea that I can pre-mix orange juice, lime juice, and passion fruit syrup in equal quantities. I could then mix it with some gold rum (Cruzan Dark) and perhaps some dark rum (Myers). Top with club soda in a large punch bowl filled with cracked/crushed ice.

Planter's Punch and Shark's Tooth also seem like they'd be easy to make, although the dark rum will cost a small premium. (Read: Cruzan Dark is cheap.)

Any thoughts? Ideas?

Thanks in advance!

View Profile of loneranger84 Send a personal message to loneranger84      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
sneakyjack
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-29 11:27 am   Permalink

just add 151 - done deal - drunk!

View Profile of sneakyjack Send a personal message to sneakyjack      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jingleheimerschmidt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-29 2:15 pm   Permalink

I serve (a lot of) Painkillers in a hollowed out pumpkin (the little ones).

I also make a bloody eyeball garnish from a lychee fruit stuffed with raspberry/strawberry jam and a blueberry (for the iris).

View Profile of jingleheimerschmidt Send a personal message to jingleheimerschmidt      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
loneranger84
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-09-29 2:18 pm   Permalink

That Lychee idea is fantastic!

I am worried about the coconut cream separating. Have you ever had any problems with this?

View Profile of loneranger84 Send a personal message to loneranger84      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-29 2:29 pm   Permalink

Blood of the Kapu Tiki is another one that is easy and quick. And name appropriate for the occasion.

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-29 2:33 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-09-29 14:18, loneranger84 wrote:

I am worried about the coconut cream separating. Have you ever had any problems with this?

Generally no. Are you using something like CocoLopez or RealCoco? Or real home-made fresh kind of stuff?

Fresh home-made stuff may separate, possibly even curdle from the citrus, otherwise your shouldn't have any issues.

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jingleheimerschmidt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-29 4:45 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-09-29 14:18, loneranger84 wrote:

Not with Lopez. Add more booze too. Coruba or Meyers will work fine for the living dead.

View Profile of jingleheimerschmidt Send a personal message to jingleheimerschmidt      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
loneranger84
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-09-29 4:46 pm   Permalink

I would use Coco Lopez.

I'll look into Blood of the Kapu Tiki.
(Incidentally, I came across another time you recommended this drink on another forum, Chip and Andy.)

Painkillers sound easy and would also be delicious.

Thanks for all of the responses (so far)!

Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-29 5:06 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-09-29 16:46, loneranger84 wrote:
(Incidentally, I came across another time you recommended this drink on another forum, Chip and Andy.)

Wasn't me! It was my evil twin!

Except......

I am the evil twin.

So who was it that was recommending the Blood of the Kapu Tiki.... (insert creepy organ music here)

(start fog machine, ready camera 2)

(Someone go and make sure Old Man Witherspoon is ready)

CincyTikiCraig
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-29 10:11 pm   Permalink

I served Mai Tais by the pitcher at my last party. Granted, I cut back on the ingredients a bit, due to budgetary consideration; I used Bols Curacao instead of Senior, St. James Amber instead of La Favourite Vieux (I did use Appleton X/V though) and Fee's Orgeat instead of Routin 1883. They tasted absolutely great for a party atmosphere were a huge hit with my guests!

View Profile of CincyTikiCraig Send a personal message to CincyTikiCraig      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
loneranger84
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-09-29 11:09 pm   Permalink

Bols Curacao!? You must've hated these people.
I considered Mai Tais since it's a pretty minimalistic drink, but I want to get away with having only one kind of alcohol in there if possible.
(i.e. I can splurge a good quality amber rum instead of buying mediocre rum and curacao.)

I'm liking this Blood of the Kapu Tiki. I love that it calls for Pernod because I have some Absinthe sitting around that I could use.
Though a Doctor Funk would be a bit easier and is more what I'm looking for.
(i.e. 1 fruit juice, not 3. Especially in case I feel like squeezing it fresh, which I might.)

Tiki+ is an awesome iPhone application for any iPhone owners BTW. It's not complete by any means, but there's a lot of recipes here!

loneranger84
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-09-29 11:09 pm   Permalink

Well, for anyone that cares, the cheapest option was a botched version of the Shark's Tooth.

I am using a dark amber rum (Flor de Cana Gold) as the sole rum in the drink (rather than a Barbados rum and an aged Jamaican rum.)

Plus it's so much cheaper than the other options that I can splurge on some maraschino cherries for garnish (and the yummy syrup) while keeping it under $30. =)

[ This Message was edited by: loneranger84 2009-09-30 13:53 ]

Shaun of theTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-30 7:59 pm   Permalink

Scorpion Bowls are usually crowd-pleasers, just be sure to have a plastic covering for your bathroom floor to easily pick up the upchuck.

Suffering Bastards and Dark 'n' Stormys are also pretty simple and cheap to make for a crowd since you just build the cocktails in glasses rather than mess with blenders.

View Profile of Shaun of theTiki Send a personal message to Shaun of theTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
arriano
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-01 09:13 am   Permalink

For a recent party we threw, I made two "bulk" cocktails: Mai Tai and Blue Hawaiian (not Blue Hawaii). Both big crowd pleasers.

Interestingly enough, almost to a person the men wanted Mai Tais and the women wanted Blue Hawaiians.

View Profile of arriano Send a personal message to arriano      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
loneranger84
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-10-01 10:08 am   Permalink

Blue Hawaiian would only cost me a couple more dollars to make than the Shark's Tooth. I'm still considering it.

My only qualm about the Shark's Tooth is that with 8 oz. of rum to 6 oz. of "mixer", it's probably going to be a strong drink.

Good thing I've got a month to test all these different drinks out. =)

[ This Message was edited by: loneranger84 2009-10-01 10:09 ]

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation