FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Cheapest/Easiest Tiki Drink for a Large Party
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Cheapest/Easiest Tiki Drink for a Large Party
heylownine
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2009-10-24 10:51 pm   Permalink

Personal experience says the Miehana recipe scales well by the pitcher. I have no reason to doubt it's ability to scale to a punchbowl.

kevin

View Profile of heylownine Send a personal message to heylownine  Email heylownine Goto the website of heylownine     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-24 08:29 am   Permalink

Just wondering if anyone had any new ideas for a punch style drink for about 20 people. this is for Halloween but doesn't have to be theme oriented.
Oh and easy to make yes but doesn't have to be a cheap drink.

[ This Message was edited by: hiltiki 2013-10-24 08:31 ]

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2013-10-24 09:01 am   Permalink

I'm tossing in a suggestion based on some testing done last night at my home bar with a friend. He is also looking for something inexpensive and tasty to serve for a large group coming to his home in the next few weeks.

The "Fink Bomb" from Frankie's Tiki Room is relatively simple and flavorful. It is made with pineapple juice, Midori melon liqueur, coconut rum, and a gold rum float over ice. We took a road trip and found three versions of melon liqueur at Total Wine -- Midori $20, DeKuyper $12, and another low-end brand for $7. We decided to test with my Midori and also bought a bottle of the $7 liqueur. We made two cocktails and for both we used Cruzan coconut rum (very reasonable at around $13/bottle) along with Diplomatico gold rum for the float and swapped out only the melon liqueur.

Our conclusions were:
1) The low-end melon rum was sweeter and not as rich and thick as Midori, but we thought it would work well for non-experienced drinkers. The Cruzan coconut offered a good combination of flavor and low price and worked very well. The Diplomatico could be replaced by another less-expensive gold rum, but we didn't have the guts to go too cheap all the way around. The pineapple juice came from a Dole can and held up well.
2) There is NO SHAKING and NO GARNISH involved in making the drink. Add ice, then all the liquid ingredients. It tends to "layer" and looks attractive on its own. So this was very low-effort cocktail with a pleasant pineapple/coconut/melon blend.

Better ingredients yield better taste and texture, but this is definitely EASY. And it's relatively INEXPENSIVE if you buy lower-end melon liqueur and low-end gold rum.

The recipe is in the book "Liquid Vacation" from Frankie's Tiki Room.

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sunny&Rummy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-24 09:07 am   Permalink

Tiare at A Mountain of Crushed Ice just posted a Wray and Nephew rum pumch from the recent UK Rum Festival (see link) that looks worthwhile. I'm going to spin this up over the weekend for sure, though I will be doubling the amount of rum. It's similar to a homespun Jamaican House Party Punch I am very fond of.

http://www.amountainofcrushedice.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/Rumfest-2013-JWray-recipes1.jpg

View Profile of Sunny&Rummy Send a personal message to Sunny&Rummy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AdOrAdam
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2013-10-24 09:46 am   Permalink

Fog cutters - make it to the right strenght & let people add their own ice

View Profile of AdOrAdam Send a personal message to AdOrAdam      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiHardBop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-24 3:44 pm   Permalink

You might want to be careful using the Wray & Nephew around "civilians". It has a taste that newbies might not like.

View Profile of TikiHardBop Send a personal message to TikiHardBop  Goto the website of TikiHardBop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-24 4:36 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-10-04 11:29, Hale Tiki wrote:
Official Appleton Estates Rum Punch:

In a punch bowl, combine
1-750ml Appleton Estate V/X
1-750ml Coruba dark Jamaican rum
1-750ml Wray & Nephew white overproof rum
2L orange juice
2L pineapple juice
1 cup lime juice
1/2 cup grenadine and several dashes of Angostura bitters
Stir to mix and add a block of ice to chill. Serve in punch cups and garnish with fresh fruit.

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-24 4:39 pm   Permalink

Here is my Kraken Killer recipe which is very easy to scale up

Quote:

On 2013-03-16 21:26, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
Here is my "Kraken Killer" recipe
I think this is better then the classic "Painkiller" which I am still a big fan of.

In a Cocktail Shaker, half filled with ice

2 oz. Kraken Rum
1 oz. Cruzan Coconut Rum
1 oz. Monin Coconut Syrup (I like this much better then Coco Lopez, which is lumpy & has a chalky after taste to it)
4 oz. Pineapple Juice
1 oz. Orange Juice

Give it a good shaking, pour into a tall glass or mug of your choice with more ice
and dust with Nutmeg.

Now enjoy the hell out of it!
Please let me know if you prefer this over the classic recipe, most people I serve this to, do....

[ This Message was edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2013-03-16 21:29 ]

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sunny&Rummy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-24 9:09 pm   Permalink

That Appleton Estates Rum Punch that Hale Tiki shared is very good.

Tried the J Wray Reggae Punch tonight made to recipe specs and it was good but needs to be tweaked cor balance. Used up all my Wray a d Nephew but when I get some more I will try this one again with 1.5x the rum and 0.75x the Jamaican strawberry syrup.

View Profile of Sunny&Rummy Send a personal message to Sunny&Rummy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-25 6:52 pm   Permalink

Thank you all so much for great ideas. I will try to make some of these drinks and decide.

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-29 06:28 am   Permalink

When I have a decent sized group, I mix a big batch of Rum Barrels. I use Myers's instead of Demerara. Everyone likes it, it is not hard to measure. It is a big drink that you can serve in smaller glasses full of ice and make it last longer. It improves with better ingredients, but it perfectly good off the shelf. Do get decent lime juice like the not from concentrate organic bottled if you don't want to fresh squeeze.

It has the classic simple/complex feature. You can enjoy it thoughtlessly and it is good, or you can tell them it has 10 ingredients and they can think about it and taste the depth.

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2013-10-29 06:31 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-10-29 06:28, Swanky wrote:
When I have a decent sized group, I mix a big batch of Rum Barrels. I use Myers's instead of Demerara.

Good suggestion, Swanky!

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kill Devil
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-29 07:21 am   Permalink

Swanky - which Rum Barrel recipe? I recall a few variations

View Profile of Kill Devil Send a personal message to Kill Devil      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-29 08:52 am   Permalink

Don's I use Tiki+ a lot and it is there too.

It's a 9 oz. drink, which is pretty huge compared to most. It is basically double a normal recipe and is less than 50% booze, which again, isn't too bad for a Tiki drink. Ice cubes can help it to melt and dilute a bit faster to help that as well.

Mai-Kai Memories Series Custom ceramic mugs!

[ This Message was edited by: Swanky 2013-10-29 08:54 ]

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Longboard
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-29 2:32 pm   Permalink

Swanky,

It's funny but your right. Newbies love Meyers just as much as a great aged El Dorado.

I never waste the good stuff on Squares anymore.

-Longboard

View Profile of Longboard Send a personal message to Longboard      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation