FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums ╗ ╗ Tiki Travel ╗ ╗ JOHN-O's Mid-Century Guide to the San Gabriel Valley, CA
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
JOHN-O's Mid-Century Guide to the San Gabriel Valley, CA
tikiyaki
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2010-03-22 10:16 pm   Permalink

OH NO!!!! Goody's was awesome. Great still-intact Mid Century Interior, great, cheep breakfast, they actually gave you applesauce or a half of a canned peach before your meal.......what a travesty. And then there was that signage....I'm sure their new location will be nothing special by comparison.
Sad.

John-O, Moffatts is THE BOMB Chicken Pot Pie !

My wife used to live across the street...we went there alot.

View Profile of tikiyaki Send a personal message to tikiyaki  Email tikiyaki Goto the website of tikiyaki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-21 10:43 pm   Permalink

Just got back from Dal Rae, this time we had dinner and it was just plain good. They served good martinis and the service was great. We also enjoyed going to Embers Lounge, played pool and talked to the regulars, we had fun, we'll go back.

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-07-05 11:11 pm   Permalink

This is a great guide!

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Zeta
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2010-07-07 10:20 pm   Permalink

JUAN-O, I am your fan. Thank you for this. Your writing is awesome! You got style! I want more! I want to go to all those places! LOOOOOVE IT. So authentic! Viva California!

View Profile of Zeta Send a personal message to Zeta  Goto the website of Zeta     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-07-08 11:09 am   Permalink

Thanks Zeta !! Not too many takers with the exception of Hiltiki and Christiki. That squashes my plan to do a similar mid-century thread on the San Fernando Valley.

I guess most Tikiphiles here are Tiki-ONLY-philes.

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
faztiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-07-12 7:55 pm   Permalink

this is an amazing tour guide. Thanks John-O.
San Gabriel Valley seems to be everything Silicon Valley is not. Over the last ten years i've watched dozens of similar places in the South Bay disappear. Funky charm, a unique personality and any semblance of historical value seem to be a curse here.
i was just at Oceanic Arts two weeks ago and pulled an in-n-out on Whittier. wish i'd seen your post before, i might still be sitting barside at the Tamarack.
i love the cross-over effort. keep it up!

View Profile of faztiki Send a personal message to faztiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-07-13 09:02 am   Permalink

Faztiki, you still have Original Joe's in SJ (aka the "Only Joe's" now).

I love that place !!

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-07-14 11:11 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-07-08 11:09, JOHN-O wrote:
Thanks Zeta !! Not too many takers with the exception of Hiltiki and Christiki. That squashes my plan to do a similar mid-century thread on the San Fernando Valley.

I guess most Tikiphiles here are Tiki-ONLY-philes.

lottaliving.com would appreciate such a post!

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
faztiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-07-19 10:26 pm   Permalink

Well John-O, let me tell you a sad sad story.
every Sunday a few friends and i would pile into a '68 caddy and hit the streets. starting usually with a coldy at the Log Cabin (San Jose's oldest bar), or at the Caravan, we drive south down Almaden Expressway, stopping along our way at The Bears, The Branham Lounge, Almaden Feed-n-Fuel, and ending up at Quail Hollow. Each of these beautiful establishments had class, personality, and cold cold drinks. on our return Northbound we would inevitably end up in heaven, the counter at Original Joes. All of these bars were on a 25 mile stretch of the same road, except OJ's which was one block East.
in the last six years - The Bears -torn down and turned into a vacant strip mall / The Branham Lounge - now called the NEW Branham Lounge - added 6 plasma TVs that are always on, even when sports arent / The Log Cabin - now a taqueria (and not a good one) / Almaden Feed-n-Fuel - closed by noise complaints from nearby homes that were built 80 years after the bar was opened / Quail Hollow - burned down, probably by the developer who bought the whole hillside overlooking this incredible bar perched lakeside in the cinnibar hills. and finally, OJ's.
Original Joe's still stands, although last year they closed for 4 months while they gutted the inside, including removal of the fireplace, the charm, some asbestos, and all of the class from the rear bar. Instead of the classiest bar and best martinis in town, the bartenders are serving food to tables of kids.
its criminal.
now i stay at home on sundays.
let my tale of woe be a message to those who 'appreciate' the classic bars without frequenting them! if you treasure something, get out there and support it!

oh yeah, i was back in Columbus Ohio a few months back. I knew The Kahiki had long been gone, but i had never seen the gorgeous CVS drugstore thats taken its place. fuck progress.

View Profile of faztiki Send a personal message to faztiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-07-20 09:28 am   Permalink

Faztiki,

I haven't been to the SJ Original Joe's for several years. It's bad enough that the San Francisco location still remains closed (after a fire) but to hear that San Jose has been remodeled (for the worse?) is quite alarming.

Thanks for posting that. I know the feeling and share your pain .....

MauiRose
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-07-20 10:00 am   Permalink

I for one would love to read a mid-century guide to The Valley...

View Profile of MauiRose Send a personal message to MauiRose      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-16 7:09 pm   Permalink

OK, I'm a little embarrassed about this latest entry, it flew low and under the radar for this Rosemead native son. It look a surf show recommendation from BigTikiDude to bring it to my attention.

Spike's is the oldest bar in the San Gabriel Valley, having opened in the late 1940's. A little research and a conversation with the owner brought to light some of these following facts. Originally it was called the Dew Drop but later changed to Andy's Alibi in the mid-1950's when it became the SGV's first "titty" bar. In 1965, it became Patrick's Cocktail Lounge and remained that way for 3 decades. In the mid-1990's, it became Spike's.

Over the last decade, a small stage was put in and bands were booked. For those of you familiar with Silver Lake's Spaceland club, it has a similar 1970's "down and out" disco vibe. Very cool !!

From what I could tell from my visit, this has become a hub for a hoppin' Mexican-American Rockabilly scene. Latino Elvis's and Chicana Bettie's filled the room decked out like "Happy Days" extras and took over the dance floor with their hep-cat moves.

I was there to see a couple of international Surf bands that BTD had booked for his Surf Guitar 101 convention.

The kids politely listened to the live surf sounds but obviously were there to swing to the Rockabilly DJ spinning between the band's sets. I couldn't help thinking of Paul Lemat's hot rod greaser's line in "American Graffiti":

"I don't like that surfin' shit. Rock and roll's been going down hill ever since Buddy Holly died."

Spike's is located at 7813 Garvey Avenue in Rosemead, about 4 miles south of the Bahooka.

[ This Message was edited by: JOHN-O 2010-08-16 19:10 ]

Coco Joe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-13 8:49 pm   Permalink

what about Chronis?

View Profile of Coco Joe Send a personal message to Coco Joe  Email Coco Joe Goto the website of Coco Joe     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-13 10:10 pm   Permalink

Actually I've never been there. I hold my head down in shame.

BUT... Geographically speaking, isn't that technically East Los and not SGV ??

Nevertheless I got it down now on my to-do list. Thanks Joe !!

christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-08 07:56 am   Permalink

Way to bring it, John-O!

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation