[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Drinking Rum and Coca-Cola
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Drinking Rum and Coca-Cola
dewey-surf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-09 6:34 pm   Permalink

Classic song, but is it a classic drink?

Over-rated? Under-rated?

For Posers or Purists?

My questions are these: What in your opinion is the best rum for a rum and coke? Also what ratio do you normally use? Or does it matter, meaning does Coca-Cola negate a rums overall pure taste?

Right now I find Captain Morgan's Private Reserve to be a nice mix with Coca-Cola.

View Profile of dewey-surf Send a personal message to dewey-surf      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
1961surf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-09 10:35 pm   Permalink

Sailor Jerry's hands down the best with Coke!

View Profile of 1961surf Send a personal message to 1961surf  Email 1961surf Goto the website of 1961surf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2009-10-09 10:50 pm   Permalink

How about Rum & Pepsi?

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2009-10-09 10:52 pm   Permalink

Rum and coke? Add some fresh squeezed lime and turn it into a Cuba Libre.

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-10 04:48 am   Permalink

I personally have never acquired a taste for rum & coke. Can't pin down why. Maybe it was from my younger days when cheap rot gut was all we could afford to dump in the drink. I may have to try it again and do a bit of a taste test with some quality rum. Also this is a stupid question but do you put the coke in the drink first or the rum? I've always done booze first and the other ingredients second for my cocktails unless the cocktail requires a float of course.

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-10 06:16 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-10-10 04:48, uncle trav wrote:
Also this is a stupid question but do you put the coke in the drink first or the rum? I've always done booze first and the other ingredients second for my cocktails unless the cocktail requires a float of course.

If you put the rum in first, then the coke, the process of pouring the coke will mix the drink pretty well. This keeps you from having to stir the drink for more than a real quick turn allowing you to keep as much of the fizzy as possible.

And Rum and Pepsi is good if you use a heavier or spicier rum.

My personal favorite, Rum and Dr. Pepper. I use a light rum like Cruzan to allow the 23 flavor profile of the Dr Pepper stand out while still drinking an adult(erated) beverage.

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Shaun of theTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-10 07:44 am   Permalink

The type of Coke can make a huge difference, Mexican-made Coke blends very well with rum since it's made from pure cane sugar rather than corn syrup. I'm curious about how Dublin Dr. Pepper would mix. Here's a recent NYT article on the Mexican Coke Cult: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/11/magazine/11fob-consumed-t.html

View Profile of Shaun of theTiki Send a personal message to Shaun of theTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dewey-surf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-10 11:01 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-10-09 22:50, MadDogMike wrote:
How about Rum & Pepsi?

SACRILEGE!

View Profile of dewey-surf Send a personal message to dewey-surf      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-10 1:06 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-10-10 11:01, dewey-surf wrote:
Quote:

On 2009-10-09 22:50, MadDogMike wrote:
How about Rum & Pepsi?

SACRILEGE!

Nah.... it is, however, a bit awkward to sing it that way

Drinkin' rum and Pepsi-Cola
Go down Point Koomahnah
Both mother and daughter
Workin' for the Yankee dollar......

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
arriano
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-10 1:14 pm   Permalink

Mexican Coke, Havana Club, fresh lime juice. Once you've had a Cuba Libre the way it's supposed to be, you'll understand why it was popular in the first place.

View Profile of arriano Send a personal message to arriano      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
iTiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-10-10 9:16 pm   Permalink

I like mexican Coke with Pyrat Xo. I also float a 1/4 oz of Velvet Falernum on top.

View Profile of iTiki Send a personal message to iTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-11 09:58 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-10-10 04:48, uncle trav wrote:
Also this is a stupid question but do you put the coke in the drink first or the rum?

I put them in a shaker and shake really hard.

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-11 4:36 pm   Permalink

Captain Morgans Rum and Diet Coke = Skinny Pirate

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-11 8:20 pm   Permalink

sorry but diet coke = puke.

Jeff(btd)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nuKKe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-12 12:13 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-10-10 13:14, arriano wrote:
Mexican Coke, Havana Club, fresh lime juice. Once you've had a Cuba Libre the way it's supposed to be, you'll understand why it was popular in the first place.

I second that and follow the measurements on the back label of HC Anejo Especial.
Israeli Coke is also made of sugar cane. I wonder about other parts of the world. Any other international members reading this thread?

View Profile of nuKKe Send a personal message to nuKKe  Email nuKKe     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2018 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation