FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki The Outrigger (Trader Vic's), Seattle, WA (restaurant)
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
The Outrigger (Trader Vic's), Seattle, WA (restaurant)
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-10 10:50 am   Permalink

Name:The Outrigger (Trader Vic's)
Type:restaurant
Street:Hotel Benjamin Franklin
City:Seattle
State:WA
Zip:
Phone:

Description:
I did a search and could not find a specific post for this location. I picked this postcard up today and thought I'd post it. Great interior shot. Note the outrigger bar top in the background.

[ This Message was edited by: uncle trav 2009-10-10 11:14 ]

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-10 10:54 am   Permalink

Ahm lookin'..ahm lookin'.... Wo ist es? ?

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-10 11:05 am   Permalink

I hope to have the pic up soon. The magic picture thingy is a bit slow on my side of the world today.

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-10 11:15 am   Permalink

Sorry for the delay.

uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-10 11:29 am   Permalink

Here's a closeup of the bar.

Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-10 2:22 pm   Permalink

Trav,

I never really noticed that outrigger on the bar before, nice pick up.

I have three other postcards from this place:

Here is another interior, one of the three TV cards that have people in it! (can you name the other two?)

Here is an exterior shot.

And this is after it changed to Trader Vics.

Vic changed his Outrigger locations to Trader Vic's because soooo many Outriggers cropped up.

I have some menus, will post later.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-10 3:23 pm   Permalink

Great cards Dusty. I don't remember seeing the first one before.Thanks for posting those. Here is and ad for the Outrigger from Mimi's collection showing the bar from another angle. This place has that small, low ceiling, cozy felling that was so great.

http://www.arkivatropika.com/cgi-bin/item.cgi?item_id=203

[ This Message was edited by: uncle trav 2009-10-10 15:24 ]

Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-11 10:46 am   Permalink

Trav,

Great looking bar.

I have a menu and matchbook from the Outrigger.

The menu has the same graphics as the Trader Vics Ashtrays.

Also saw this interesting menu on ebay with a ships bow rendering.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-11 2:17 pm   Permalink

Wow! That last menu I have never seen. An artist rendering of the ship's figurehead above the outside entrance. I think there was a section of the restaurant called the Captain's Cabin That had nautical decor and was built up like the interior of a ship.

Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-11 2:36 pm   Permalink

Right you are Trav.

The room was called The Ship's Cabin. Here is the write up from Tiki Road Trip.

The second TV's to open, cool.

DC

uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-11 3:24 pm   Permalink

Here is an early photo of one of the dining areas of the Outrigger. I lightened the photo to show the corrugated tin roof and garden area in the background. Looks like fog cutters are being served. And on a side note has it been slow around TC lately or just my imagination.

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-11 3:35 pm   Permalink

Trav, seems like some website is mixing up its Seattle Tiki temples. What you have there is the Kalua Room at the Hotel Windsor, not the Outrigger:

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-11 3:39 pm   Permalink

I humbly stand corrected. Well now that is a mighty fine interior shot in it's own right. Is there a thread for this location as well?

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-11 3:58 pm   Permalink

Unfortunately this classic postcard got mangled on Page 110 of Tiki Modern, but you can find it analyzed here:

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=4194&forum=1

and more info here:

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=68&forum=1&vpost=436

But back to the Seattle OUTRIGGER:

Looking at this and the material above it becomes clear how Trader Vic's tried to brand the Polynesian outrigger canoe as a logo for the franchise --and how it clearly was a Pre-Tiki concept: A Polynesian outrigger was used over the entrance, in the bar, and on matchbooks and menus.

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki 2009-10-11 15:59 ]

The Mod Jetsetter
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-10-14 7:40 pm   Permalink

The Ben Franklin Hotel in Seattle turned into the Westin Hotel. It's a cool looking twin circular tower hotel similar to the Marina towers in Chicago.

My dad worked in the Westin Building right next door to the twin towers back in the 80s and used to "lunch" at the Trader Vic's. Now I know what he meant by "lunch".

View Profile of The Mod Jetsetter Send a personal message to The Mod Jetsetter      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation