FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki The Outrigger (Trader Vic's), Seattle, WA (restaurant)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
The Outrigger (Trader Vic's), Seattle, WA (restaurant)
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-15 5:31 pm   Permalink

I think that The Islands restaurant in Phoenix used the same artist for their menus as the Outrigger.

DC

[ This Message was edited by: Dustycajun 2009-10-31 00:07 ]

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-15 6:57 pm   Permalink

I respectfully disagree. The Islands' artist COPIED the Trader Vic's menu's style, and did an OK job...better than some of the other copycats which took a shot at the "scenes from hedonist native life" concept that was initiated by Kay and other TV artists.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-31 12:11 am   Permalink

Bigbro,

Thanks for that clarification, I don't know much about the old TV menu artists, but they sure were the best.

I came across this image on the internet that looked like the same Tiki from my postcard, I am assuming this is also from the Outrigger in Seattle?

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabu The Coconut Boy
Tiki Central Poet Laureate

Posted: 2010-01-04 12:13 pm   Permalink

Costumed waiters serving ostrich meat at Outrigger Restaurant, Seattle, 1960

"Waitress serving customers inside Outrigger Restaurant, Seattle, September 1959" - We've already identified this one as from the Kalua Room earlier in this thread. How about the photo above from the same archive? Did they get that one right?

[ This Message was edited by: Sabu The Coconut Boy 2010-01-04 12:17 ]

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-04 12:23 pm   Permalink

I know you must be joking, but here I am in earnest:

I don't think so! Even if Vic had a "dress like a Roman" day, the lack of any T.V. serving ware, ROSES on the table, and not one fishnet float in sight, even as some dressed down version of the Captain's Cabin Room this photo does not pass.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-07-23 8:16 pm   Permalink

Here is another Outrigger menu from my collection.

And another matchbook style I have.

I just picked up the yellow matchbook on ebay.

DC

[ This Message was edited by: Dustycajun 2010-07-28 16:51 ]

Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-07-28 5:33 pm   Permalink

Here is another matchbook I have from the Outrigger with a nice little rendering of the building.

In a "Tropical Manner", I like that one.

DC

Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-03-19 1:39 pm   Permalink

Here is the souvenir postcard mailer I picked up from the Seattle Outrigger. Same graphics as the menu.

The inside of the mailer has a write-up on the different rooms within the restaurant and renderings of the Tiki Room, Garden Room and Captain's Room.

Bigbro,

The Captain's Room rendering sure looks a lot like the funny photo that Sabu posted with the servers dressed as Roman soldiers, I think the photo may actually have been from The Outrigger.

DC

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-03-19 3:26 pm   Permalink

Well I'll eat my own words!:

Quote:

On 2010-01-04 12:23, bigbrotiki wrote:
....even as some dressed down version of the Captain's Cabin Room, this photo does not pass.

Great visual memory, D.C.! That is the same place, no doubt, down to the stars on top of the posts, AND, something I totally neglected to note in my previous post, a South Seas map mural (!) with Tahiti and the Society Islands behind them (...with, perhaps, some Covarrubias icons!)

This could be a promotional event for one of the many Roman Empire movies of the 50s, like Ben Hur or Quo Vadis:

Ben Hur was shot in 1959, and Spartacus in 1960. On second thought though, the above scene looks a little bit too silly and the bespeckled guy too geeky for such serious films, and Seattle was not exactly a film town. Hmm....

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki 2011-03-20 07:23 ]

corrinnao
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-03-21 4:31 pm   Permalink

Maybe they were trying for the King Kamehameha look but the local prop store didn't have it and somehow convinced them the roman solider look was the closest thing.

View Profile of corrinnao Send a personal message to corrinnao      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-03-21 5:44 pm   Permalink

Yesss, that must be it! But what about....the ROSES!?

JoeB

Posted: 2011-03-30 05:29 am   Permalink

Brings back memories. Late '60's as a rookie used to work the vice squad in Seattle. After chasing/arresting prostitutes all night, the crew usually dropped into Trader Vic's or another friendly hangout for a couple shooters to unwind from the pressures of the chase. Trader Vic's was the first one I went to. Had my first exotic drink (a Planter's Punch) there. It was fantastic. Then got into Mai Tai's. Never lost my taste for the sweet drinks.

[ This Message was edited by: JoeB 2011-03-30 05:32 ]

View Profile of JoeB Send a personal message to JoeB      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-07-31 10:45 am   Permalink

Here is an old menu spotted on ebay from The Outrigger in Seattle that sports a nice Tapa pattern. Maybe a new look for Taco Central cups on the West Coast?

The back of the menu features this Tiki image that was used on another menu from the Outrigger restaurants located in Seattle and Denver.

DC

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-07-31 10:57 am   Permalink

I have been wanting to make that Tiki into a mug ever since i found that menu many moons ago...but nobody let's me.

Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-07-31 12:48 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-07-31 10:57, bigbrotiki wrote:
I have been wanting to make that Tiki into a mug ever since i found that menu many moons ago...but nobody let's me.

Sven,

GREAT mug idea. Maybe you could pitch it to the operators of the new Trader Vic's in Portland. It is after all a design unique to the Pacific Northwest.

DC

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation