FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki The Outrigger (Trader Vic's), Seattle, WA (restaurant)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
The Outrigger (Trader Vic's), Seattle, WA (restaurant)
tikicoma
Grand Member (4 years)  

Posted: 2011-08-08 12:13 am   Permalink

Thought i'd post pictures of the matches that were in two of the covers Dustycajun showed earlier.

sorry about the focus I'm not used to using a scanner. I love those fat matches!

aloha, tikicoma

View Profile of tikicoma Send a personal message to tikicoma      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Malaria

Posted: 2011-08-20 11:54 pm   Permalink

Hi, never posted here but here goes...
Just went over to an estate sale yesterday round the corner from my place and picked up a coffee can of matchbooks, a tiki mug and an Aurthur Lyman lp all for $5. Anyway the can contained 9 OUTRIGGER matchbooks (6 unused and 3 with a few matches missing). Too bad I never met the old bastards before they kicked the bucket!
Found a pic of the same ones online...

The only difference is the striking strip is black and not white like in this pic.
I'd like to trade with anyone who has other old spare tiki matchbooks. I don't actually think it's permitted to send matches in the mail though?

View Profile of Malaria Send a personal message to Malaria  Email Malaria     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikicoma
Grand Member (4 years)  

Posted: 2011-09-19 9:53 pm   Permalink

Vintage cocktail napkin from the Outrigger that I lost the bid on.

I wonder who got it?

Aloha, tikicoma

View Profile of tikicoma Send a personal message to tikicoma      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikicoma
Grand Member (4 years)  

Posted: 2011-09-19 10:15 pm   Permalink

Outrigger sign on the Benjamin Franklin Hotel February 1950.

On the left side of the Outrigger sign is a sign that kind of looks like a palm (?) shaped sign going down but I couldn't make it any clearer.

Image from u of washington digital image web site.

aloha again, tikicoma

Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-12-18 09:51 am   Permalink

Here is another photo of the hotel building with the Trader Vic's sign at the top.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-12-28 5:24 pm   Permalink

Here is another photo of Trader Vic's with the Space Needle in the background and the Monorail track in front.

That is some modern cool!

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-01-09 11:29 pm   Permalink

Found a few old advertisements from 1958 for the Outrigger at the Benjamin Franklin Hotel.

They must have thought highly of the big Tiki from this postcard as it was featured in both ads. The photo ad above also came from the same photo shoot as the postcard.

Also another great photo of the monorail buzzing past the Benjamin Franklin Hotel and Trader Vic's that was shown on Zulu Magoo's Tiki Architecture blog.

http://tikiarchitecture.blogspot.com/

DC

Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-25 8:53 pm   Permalink

A few more old Outrigger ads.

This one shows the Captain's Room.

DC

Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-06-18 11:38 pm   Permalink

Here is a photo of the manager Harry Wong at the Seattle Trader Vic's.

DC

tikicoma
Grand Member (4 years)  

Posted: 2012-07-15 12:43 am   Permalink

This is from The Fabulous Baker Boys, the scene was set in an imaginary bar called the Luau Lounge in Seattle. The site I found it on inferred that this was actually shot in Trader Vic's Seattle not on a Hollywood set. Can anyone confirm this? Has anyone here been to the Seattle Vic's in the 80's or 90's?

The exterior shots in this movie are obviously Seattle but I don't know about the interiors.

aloha, tikicoma

tikicoma
Grand Member (4 years)  

Posted: 2012-11-05 11:35 pm   Permalink

This postcard from the Seattle Trader Vic's sold on ebay over a week ago.

aloha, tikicoma

tikicoma
Grand Member (4 years)  

Posted: 2012-12-08 3:00 pm   Permalink

Found a Seattle Outrigger menu last month and looking here didn't see any shots of the "bill of fare" so here it is.

The cover so you know which menu I'm talking about (no topless wahines for the provinces).

Looks like this menu was snagged by a sailor on liberty 7/5/52 and he came back on the 7th, must have like the place. No topless wahines and the Suffering Bastard renamed the Suffering Bar Steward, I guess the Trader didn't know that Seattle was practically founded on prostitution!
"All prices are our O.P.S. Ceiling Prices or lower. A list is available for your inspection." From 1951 to 1953 the US had price controls in effect but with rising wages they quickly ended.

The back cover and the final word

aloha, tikicoma

Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-12 07:38 am   Permalink

A few more news wire photos from ebay.

This photo gives a look at the interior

An this one is a cool shot of the ship's figurehead that adorned the front of the Trader Vic's restaurant

The story.

DC

Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-11 5:36 pm   Permalink

Picked up a nice old news wire photo from 1949 showing an original artist sketch drawn for the Outrigger exterior.

Compared to the postcard.

The back of the card lists Victor N. Jones the as the designer. Have not heard that name before, anybody got something on him? Or could in be a pseudonym for Victor Jules Bergeron??

Cool stuff!

DC

tikicoma
Grand Member (4 years)  

Posted: 2013-03-26 10:16 pm   Permalink

Dusty! This brought up some interesting info. Victor N. Jones was, indeed an architect in Seattle and had a firm there from 1942-55. Before that he had been in a Seattle firm that won national recognition for main street store front remodels. He had been an architect since 1926 (UW grad.). Became local AIA president then retired to Maui in 1959.
In 1945 Jones & associates hired Lloyd Lovegren as associate architect for their Boise office (1945-50). Lovegren had been head drafting room architect for the Pacific Naval Air Force Bases in Pearl Harbor (1940-42). In 1951 he left to form a firm that received critical acclaim designing for Trader Vic. Lovegren designed several restaurants for Bergeron including Denver (1954),

Chicago (1957) and Havana (1958).

Also of interest to Poly-popsters would be the Dynasty Restaurant in the Ilikai Hotel Honolulu (1968).

aloha, tikicoma

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation