FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Travel Mai Tai's in Waikiki???
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Mai Tai's in Waikiki???
Rum Balls
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2012-03-16 07:11 am   Permalink

Just got back from a week-plus of mostly nasty weather on Oahu

Didn't get out as much as hoped, but did have Mai Tais at 3 locations. Tiki's Grill & Bar in Waikiki made a 1944 Mai Tai that was (suprisingly) very good. La Mariana's was fine, but the setting more than made up for it. And Germaine's Luau was OK, though I wasn't expecting an outstanding MT there anyway. If you do Germaine's, go to the gift shop first and buy a tiki mug, and then the bar will pour your 3 "free" drinks into that instead of a much smaller plastic cup.

View Profile of Rum Balls Send a personal message to Rum Balls      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VanTiki
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2012-04-19 4:44 pm   Permalink

Ms. VanTiki and I sneak away to the Mai Tai Bar at the Royal Hawaiian whenever we can. They have an off-menu Trader Vic's Mai tai which I love dearly, and it ranges from yummy to FANTASTIC depending on who is working the bar. Ms. VanTiki loves their Mai-Tai degeneres with ginger. We love to park at the Zoo, stroll through Waikiki, and explore the grounds of the Royal Hawaiian. They have some fantastic paintings on display (including the original oils used to make those iconic Matson menus), and sometimes have neat historical exhibits.

Henrik "VanTiki"

View Profile of VanTiki Send a personal message to VanTiki  Goto the website of VanTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTie
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-24 11:09 am   Permalink

La Mariana Sailing club was an amazing tiki bar! I was there 2 years ago. 50 Sand Island Road, Honolulu, HI

View Profile of TikiTie Send a personal message to TikiTie      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SizzlePixels
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-06-07 8:29 pm   Permalink

While drinking our way around Hawaii last summer we tried our best to find the best drinks. I do not recall having anything bad.

[ Edited by: Hakalugi - rearranged images - 2012-06-07 20:54 ]

View Profile of SizzlePixels Send a personal message to SizzlePixels  Email SizzlePixels     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SizzlePixels
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-06-07 8:31 pm   Permalink

Sorry for the super wide post. I guess I did something wrong. I thought the photos would wrap.

View Profile of SizzlePixels Send a personal message to SizzlePixels  Email SizzlePixels     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Mr. Unreasonable

Posted: 2012-06-07 8:35 pm   Permalink

You could edit and stack the image links but either way it's a great post.

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
1961surf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-06-07 9:07 pm   Permalink

So who had the best Mai Tai's ?

View Profile of 1961surf Send a personal message to 1961surf  Email 1961surf Goto the website of 1961surf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SizzlePixels
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-06-08 11:44 am   Permalink

Thanks very much for the edit.

We actually enjoyed La Mariana Mai Tai the best with those at the Don The Beachcomber in Kona coming in a close second. We set out on a mission to hit all the drinking establishments and I think visited the majority of them. The bar at the Royal Hawaiian was good also.

SizzlePixels
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-06-08 12:57 pm   Permalink

We enjoyed these at the Mai Kai also.

Careless Navigator
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-06-08 7:12 pm   Permalink

We are just about to head back to Waikiki for our fifth visit. Boy have l pondered the Waikiki Mai Tai quest over the years and l have to agree with most of what has been previously written here. Maybe l could add my summary.
First of all l have this theory that there is an extra ingredient in a Mai Tai that can make it good or bad and that is location. The most average Mai Tai can taste better than it is in a great bar or for that matter watching the sun go down on Waikiki Beach. Everyone is right, it's not easy to find a great Mai Tai in Waikiki but you will have some of your most memorable Mai Tai drinking experiences there. I hate busy vacation destinations but l love Waikiki...go figure.
So here goes my top ten.
1. The Chart House Guy Tai... good value, taste, location, great bar staff and old world charm. l believe it's the only independently run Chart House and it is owned by legendary surfer Joey Cabell.
2. House Without a Key. Not cheap but great taste and location. If you are into the romance of days past, have a Mai Tai under the Banyan tree listening to the Hawaiian band as the sun goes down.
3. La Mariana. Technically not Waikiki but all great Mai Tai crawls start there in the afternoon. Ok drinks but boy oh boy, for everyone who's into Poly Pop this is a spiritual home.
4.The Mai Tai Bar at the Royal Hawaiian. Since they had the make-over a couple of years back they have added several Mai Tai's to the menu (Why? l really don't know). Pricey, but great career bar staff and the history of the place are hard to beat.
5. Dukes, noisy and busy with a mid-priced solid tourist Mai Tai. It's a party in that joint all the time.
6. Wailana Coffee House Cocktail Bar. I don't think this has been mentioned here before. This is a great find if you are short of cash. It is on the side of the entrance to the Wailana Coffee House and opens at midday. It's a local hang out. The Mai Tai is sweet but ok. Best part is they are $3.50 all day and most of the ingredients have Tader Vic on the label. Also great bamboo interior.
7. Top of Waikiki revolving restaurant. This place changes all the time (no pun intended)but their Mai Tai was created by a Barman who worked at Don's in Las Vegas. Can be inconsistent but make the effort to go up there, fantastic view from the bar.
8. Jimmy Buffett's At The Beachcomber. Yes l know this is a controversial choice considering Jimmy's the enemy BUT they have a Mai Tai called something like "Vic's Original". It's not cheep but if you hit the place at happy hour it's affordable. Enough said.
9. Princess Kaiulani. The bar by the pool has an almost typical bar by the pool Mai Tai. It tastes a little different to others along the strip and the barman told me thet it is based on a Don's Mai Tai. Tastes like it's got grapefruit in it to me, But What do l know.
10. Its a toss up between the Moana Surfrider and Tiki's. The Surfriders Mai Tai should be better because of it's history ( it's older than the Royal Hawaiian) but you can sit around the bar and pretend you are watching Wembley Edwards doing "Hawaii Calls". Tiki's is not my favorite place. The Bar staff always seem to have something better to do than serve you. Prices are Ok and most of the time they have mugs.
There you go, l hope it wasn't too rambling.
Also you should check out The Hideaway Bar (great dive bar) Nashville Waikiki (coz it's such a feakin' stupid idea) and the Mai Tai Bar above Ala Moana Centre (decent Mai Tai when you need a break from shopping and they have cool t shirts)

[ Edited by: Bora Boris - Removed some "Edited by"s - 2012-07-23 15:19 ]

View Profile of Careless Navigator Send a personal message to Careless Navigator  Goto the website of Careless Navigator     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lunavideogames
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2012-07-23 3:06 pm   Permalink

I agree with Rum Balls. Tiki's has the best Mai Tais in Waikiki. 1944 Mai Tai is real strong and tasty! I had 6, but not in one sitting. 2 max for me so that I am not wasted in 2 hours. Very good. My wife really enjoyed their Polynesian Prince. Made with rum, strawberries and champagne.

View Profile of lunavideogames Send a personal message to lunavideogames      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lunavideogames
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2012-07-23 3:12 pm   Permalink

Oh yeah and Duke's is DOOKIE! Some stupid hippie with a guitar kept playing sublime songs. We had to storm out of there. I have to hear sublime 10+ times a day here in SoCal. When I am on vacation I should not have to deal with that crap!!!

View Profile of lunavideogames Send a personal message to lunavideogames      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trailerpark Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-07-24 08:52 am   Permalink

Just returned from Waikiki. I also enjoyed Tiki's Bar and Grills "1944 Vic's Mai Tai". No pineapple juice but I think there was a little bit of passion fruit. Anyway, it was good and I had several. My wife really enjoyed the Lycheetini and Fruit Loop martini that tasted like the cereal.

We went to the Royal Hawaiian bar and asked for the original Vic's mai tai. I was expecting the worst but she made it. It was great and after two, I can't remember much after that.

[ This Message was edited by: Trailerpark Tiki 2012-07-24 08:55 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Trailerpark Tiki 2012-07-24 18:53 ]

View Profile of Trailerpark Tiki Send a personal message to Trailerpark Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-09-18 07:56 am   Permalink

Quote:

[i]On 2009-12-07 12:34, Tonga Trader wrote:
Rumfire was a surprise hit for us, we were getting happy hour Mai Tais for $5, and they were perfectly passable. Great spot for sunset, too, which happens during happy hour this time of year.

Rumfire has an incredible tropical contemporary design which embraces the shore:

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-10-22 11:58 am   Permalink

Had a blast...

Free one, or two, or three from Hawaiian Airlines

next stop...

Hale Koa Hotel Bar

Royal Hawaiian Mai Tai Bar (this is the Royal Mai Tai)

Duke's (skip this one)

Tiki Town at the International Market Place ($3.95)
Made lots of friends here...

Jimmy Buffett's The Beachcomber Surf Museum

Hard Rock Cafe (skip this one)

unless you help it out a bit...

Cheese Burger in Paradise

Back to the Royal Hawaiian Mai Tai Bar (for the Scratch Mai Tai) awesome...

The Edge of Waikiki Sheraton

PLEASE USE CAUTION WHEN WALKING TO ALL THE BARS...

Got a great Tiki Tour from Phillip Roberts
that ended at the Royal Hawaiian...

Can't beat the price at Tiki Town, back for a couple more...

Da Big Kahuna

Lava Rock Lounge in the International Market Place

Tiki's Bar and Grill

Wailana Coffee House Cocktail Lounge (Great Price)

Back to Cheese Burger in Paradise

Tapa Bar at the Hilton Hawaiian Village (skip this one)

OK, OFF TO THE NORTH SHORE...

No Mai Tai here, but ya have to stop n eat here...
every day

Back to the drinks...

Turtle Bay Pool Bar

and another one

OLA at Turtle Bay Resort

and another

Haleiwa Joes

they also sell a supersized one...

Crap
I just realized that I forgot to get pictures at

1. Breakers
2. Cholos
and
3. Jameson's

Don't forget to stop by and see Uncle Bryan for STAND UP rentals or a lesson or two...

ONE MORE TIME ON THE WAY TO THE AIRPORT...

LAS STOP IN THE AIRPORT

WE MISS IT ALREADY...

[ This Message was edited by: hang10tiki 2012-10-22 12:03 ]

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation