FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Home Tiki Bars UK Home bar - The Lei Inn - (photo intensive)
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
UK Home bar - The Lei Inn - (photo intensive)
Kon-Hemsby
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-11 08:14 am   Permalink

We'd had the little home bar in our kitchen/ diner for a while, named the Kitsch Inn.

We decided that it was time to build a proper bar. As we don't have a basement, as they are fairly rare in the UK, we considered building an extension to the home. However this was going to prove expensive, so we decided to convert one of our spare bedrooms. Only a small double bedroom, but we decided as long as there was a sofa bed in there it was the most effective method of making our home bar. So here is my attempt at building my first tiki room /bar.

The first few photos show me stripping out the built in wardrobe, carpet, coving etc. Just so it gives an idea of what it was before.

So it was time to procure some matting and assorted DIY materials from our friends at
http://www.cheekytiki.com.
After considering how best to put the matting up, we decided to go the whole hog and stick it to the walls. Now it was the moment of truth. Get that adhesive on the walls and get the matting applied.

Mmmm the smell of that matting was lovely.

Originally I planned to use thatch for the ceiling but eventually decided to fit a false ceiling with matting. I fixed batons to the walls and fixed the others through the ceiling into the loft. I made up ceiling 'panels' of hardboard with matting glued to them. I decided to stain and varnish the ceiling tiles to make them look different to the walls. BUT the matting looked so rich I decided to stain and varnish ALL the matting. I love making work for myself! But it was worth it.

More to follow.

[ This Message was edited by: Kon-Hemsby 2009-10-11 08:44 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Kon-Hemsby 2009-10-21 13:29 ]

View Profile of Kon-Hemsby Send a personal message to Kon-Hemsby  Email Kon-Hemsby     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kon-Hemsby
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-11 08:24 am   Permalink

Now the ceiling was up it was time to start putting some bamboo on the walls.

And then some shelving for the mugs and most importantly....The Rum

And my bargain tiki from ebay, who just fitted under my bamboo.

Now was the time start to build the bar itself.

After various coats of stain and varnish I decided that this bar top would be fine.

And that's pretty much it. Now to show you the finished tiki room. We decided to name it with a bedroom theme as it is a spare bedroom and hence the name The Lei Inn.

[ This Message was edited by: Kon-Hemsby 2009-10-11 08:44 ]

View Profile of Kon-Hemsby Send a personal message to Kon-Hemsby  Email Kon-Hemsby     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kon-Hemsby
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-11 08:37 am   Permalink

So the finished bar.

Behind the bar.

And The Lei Inn itself;

Note the Virani tribute beard. (now since gone).

[ This Message was edited by: Kon-Hemsby 2009-10-11 08:46 ]

hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-11 09:36 am   Permalink

You have done an amazing job decorating this room. It is done in great taste and is very inviting. The lighting also sets a great mood.

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Or Got Rum?
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-11 09:41 am   Permalink

Tranquil~Moody~Chock full of Eye-Candy~A superb job. Thanks for showing us around!

View Profile of Or Got Rum? Send a personal message to Or Got Rum?      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
beadtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-11 12:29 pm   Permalink

Excellent! Beautiful! FUN! You took a boring old room and turned it into an amazing tropical get-away. Perfect escape for the cold, foggy, damp winters!

View Profile of beadtiki Send a personal message to beadtiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kon-Hemsby
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-11 11:23 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the kind words. And I forgot to thank everyone who has posted their home bars on here before, you've been a great help for me to design my own bar.

Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-12 09:22 am   Permalink

Fast transformation. Maybe put rope light behind those top shelf bottles?

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
sneakyjack
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-12 10:32 am   Permalink

good stuff!

View Profile of sneakyjack Send a personal message to sneakyjack      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiracer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-12 11:43 am   Permalink

amazing job - the roof works really well!

I can hear the denny playing in the background from here...

Devil Reef Bar Blog
http://www.devilreef.com

View Profile of tikiracer Send a personal message to tikiracer  Goto the website of tikiracer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kon-Hemsby
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-12 12:36 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-10-12 11:43, tikiracer wrote:
amazing job - the roof works really well!

I can hear the denny playing in the background from here...

Cheers. I was pleased the way the roof worked out. Always some exotica or crazed mugs playing....

Krisdrama
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-12 9:14 pm   Permalink

Thank you for sharing your photos! Love what you did. I am itching to stop renting and get my own place so I can go all out like you guys! Nice!

View Profile of Krisdrama Send a personal message to Krisdrama  Email Krisdrama     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
blue.octopus
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2009-10-15 4:21 pm   Permalink

Well done - it looks really great.

Once I get somewhere with a spare room I'll be emailing you for tips

View Profile of blue.octopus Send a personal message to blue.octopus      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
virani
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-18 12:28 pm   Permalink

Wow, that's a really nice looking bar, very attractive (so is the beard, too !!).
Nice job.

View Profile of virani Send a personal message to virani  Goto the website of virani     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
harro
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-20 1:36 pm   Permalink

Super job! What a cool conversion. Love the bamboo bar, and mug/rum collection.
When's the party?

View Profile of harro Send a personal message to harro  Email harro     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation