FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving making duplicates / molds of your small carvings?
making duplicates / molds of your small carvings?
kinggargantuan
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-10-12 12:55 pm   Permalink

Is there a fairly simple way to make molds of your wood carvings?

I've seen a few threads that talk about resin casting with clay molds and rubber molds and even seen Buzzy's thread where his Brady Bunch tiki molds almost look like they're made in homedepot-polystyrene insulation.

any advice on the easiest way to make a mold of a tiki? There's a craft show coming up that is tied to our local newspaper and for employees of the paper only. I was thinking I'd try making a few small tikis out of basswood, or even casting one of my current ones (if it doesnt have too many undercuts), and selling those at the craft show.

thanks in advance!

Nick

View Profile of kinggargantuan Send a personal message to kinggargantuan      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
OnlyATikiLad
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-10-15 8:08 pm   Permalink

A two part vinyl polysiloxane material will pick up the smallest detail and has a high tear strength.
Cheers

View Profile of OnlyATikiLad Send a personal message to OnlyATikiLad      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
OnlyATikiLad
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-10-15 8:13 pm   Permalink

You want the type that you pour.

View Profile of OnlyATikiLad Send a personal message to OnlyATikiLad      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-15 9:07 pm   Permalink

Go check into some of the companies that make and sell resin, they also have how-to videos to get you started.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KeithH
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-15 9:51 pm   Permalink

TapPlastics has something that should work - they have a pretty impressive demo at my local store.

http://www.tapplastics.com/shop/category.php?bid=33&PHPSESSID=200910152151292115088623

View Profile of KeithH Send a personal message to KeithH      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kinggargantuan
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-10-19 07:29 am   Permalink

great, thanks guys.

I also picked up some clay over the weekend- I can't remember the name now, it's super-something, I think. You can harden it in the oven. It's supposedly pretty popular because it's easy to use. dunno

i was thinking of trying to make something out of that and then harden it and wrap it in fresh clay,remove it, harden the negative and ta-da, i have a mold that i can pour something into.

i'll check the stuff you posted above as well. thanks again.

View Profile of kinggargantuan Send a personal message to kinggargantuan      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
furball
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-10-19 09:50 am   Permalink

I've been wondering about this myself. I have done things with clay but never messed with casting or molding. Keep us posted, I'm very interested in this topic.

View Profile of furball Send a personal message to furball      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unkl Ian
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-10-19 10:25 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-10-19 07:29, kinggargantuan wrote:

I also picked up some clay over the weekend- I can't remember the name now, it's super-something, I think. You can harden it in the oven.

Super Sculpy ?

View Profile of Unkl Ian Send a personal message to Unkl Ian  Goto the website of Unkl Ian     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AlohaStation
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-19 10:34 am   Permalink

www.smooth-on.com

The most available in my area. Great resources for simple how-to, to advanced techniques.

View Profile of AlohaStation Send a personal message to AlohaStation  Goto the website of AlohaStation     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bay Park Buzzy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-19 5:14 pm   Permalink

Here's a whole thread of mold info started and shared by Bowana:

Silicone Molding 101

That's where I learned how to do it.

I get all my stuff from Fiberlay now. That's only because they are a couple miles from the house and I save a lot on shipping by picking it up there. They have a website but it sucks.

Buzzy Out!

View Profile of Bay Park Buzzy Send a personal message to Bay Park Buzzy  Email Bay Park Buzzy Goto the website of Bay Park Buzzy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation