FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Hawaiian Village, Tampa, FL (restaurant), Tampa, FL (restaurant)
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Hawaiian Village, Tampa, FL (restaurant), Tampa, FL (restaurant)
senioraqua
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-12 5:58 pm   Permalink

Name:Hawaiian Village, Tampa, FL (restaurant)
Type:restaurant
Street:2522 N. Dale Mabry, US Hwy 92
City:Tampa
State:FL
Zip:33607
Phone:813-877-5871

Description:
Hawaiian Village was a massive Polynesian themed complex that offered a slice of \"Hawaii In Tampa\". There were several dining rooms including a Polynesian floor show, a cocktail lounge, and coffee shop.

View Profile of senioraqua Send a personal message to senioraqua      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
senioraqua
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-12 6:27 pm   Permalink

Here are some nuggets culled from The Tampa Times microfilm.

View Profile of senioraqua Send a personal message to senioraqua      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-12 6:38 pm   Permalink

Senioraqua,

Nice research.

I have a few postcards from the famous Hawaiian Village in Tampa.

Here are a few blow-ups of the Hawaiian Village card.

This graphic is from the menu

Nice Outrigger in the dining room.

Great mural on the wall

These pics are from the hotel brochure

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
senioraqua
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-12 6:58 pm   Permalink

Mahalo for the postcards DC

HV menus:
Dinner

Lunch

Breakfast

Drinks

Dessert

Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-12 8:02 pm   Permalink

Wow, that's a great collection of menus. Don't think I have seen the dessert menu before.

Here is the killer matchbook from the Hawaiian Village.

They had a lot of wild mugs, here is one of them.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-12 9:05 pm   Permalink

Senioraqua,

Just noticed on the drink menu the Hawaiian Eye drink which came in that weird face-in-the-mug Good Luck mug.

Looks like this one and the Barrel of Rum were add on drinks after the menu was printed.

DC

uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-13 05:02 am   Permalink

Here's some stuff from my collection including the matchbook that launched a thousand copycats...well maybe not a thousand. The mug put me back twelve and a half cents. Two for a quarter.

[ This Message was edited by: uncle trav 2009-10-13 05:05 ]

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
martian-tiki
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2009-10-28 3:31 pm   Permalink

This was on ebay a few weeks ago.

View Profile of martian-tiki Send a personal message to martian-tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabu The Coconut Boy
Tiki Central Poet Laureate

Posted: 2009-12-27 3:44 pm   Permalink

I recently obtained this postcard with an artist's rendering of the restaurant. If the artwork is true to life, then it looks like they had a handful of nice big tikis on the grounds.

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
abstractiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-27 6:54 pm   Permalink

Here's an old snapshot pic of Hawaiian Village I got from Jordan Smith. Thanks Jordan!

View Profile of abstractiki Send a personal message to abstractiki  Email abstractiki Goto the website of abstractiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-03-11 09:25 am   Permalink

The good old days of live accordian music at Happy Hour in the TIki bar!

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-03-12 05:52 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-03-11 09:25, Swanky wrote:
The good old days of live accordian music at Happy Hour in the TIki bar!

True true...that and Hammond organ playing, too.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kiara
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-10 4:36 pm   Permalink

Here's A nice crisp color shot of Hawaiian village Tampa I found recently. Look close at how many tikis are around the pool.

View Profile of kiara Send a personal message to kiara      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pjc5150
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-01 09:31 am   Permalink

Well, unbeknownst to most folks outside of Tampa, a few years ago the Hawaiian Village was purchased by a local restaurant chain called "the green iguana". The old Hawaiian Village had been turned into a Days Inn, and Green Iguana converted the restaurant out front, and reopened part of it as the Hawaiian Village, mainly as a concert venue.

It just so happens that my neighbor is a red bull rep and is good friends with the owners. For a while there I had her talking to them about having me do some tikis for them, but it kinda never happened.

And then the news hit that the property had been sold, and the whole thing would be bulldozed to make room for a car dealership...so yeah, briefly reopened, just to be closed again....

bummer...

http://www.tampabay.com/features/food/restaurants/tampas-stadium-green-iguana-hawaiian-village-to-close/1237152

View Profile of pjc5150 Send a personal message to pjc5150      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SandraDee
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-01 10:30 am   Permalink

I am from Tampa but never got to experience the Hawaiian Village ---although it was there when i was there I was just too young. Didn't think the Green Iguana would make it in that spot.

Just what Tampa needs..another car dealership. What does that make, 300 now?

Thanks for the update.

View Profile of SandraDee Send a personal message to SandraDee      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation