FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki The Polynesian Village, Chicago, IL (restaurant)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
The Polynesian Village, Chicago, IL (restaurant)
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-24 07:27 am   Permalink

Bifcozz,

I have this drink menu mailer from the West Indies in Reno that talks about being created by the "men who helped make possible the Bay Area's famous Zombie Village". I always wondered about the Skipper Kent connection.

Do you have any more info on this one? Maybe we could start a new location thread.

Thanks again.,

DC

[ This Message was edited by: Dustycajun 2010-02-24 07:28 ]

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bifcozz
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-02-24 08:13 am   Permalink

Here is a followup from last nights drunken post.
here is a letter dated jan 1st 1955 from Josephine

Here is a cute letter jan 5th to Mr Benway at polynesian imports Honolulu about a ten foot clam.

Here is a letter from Otto Mammon giving the Kents an update on how the polynesian room is doing

Here is a letter from Roger Sonnabend to Skipper Kent

here is a picture of Skipper Kent on his boat

Here is another letter from Roger Sonnabend.

We will post more information on the Kents in the appropriate locations within the next couple of days.

View Profile of bifcozz Send a personal message to bifcozz      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bifcozz
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-02-24 09:31 am   Permalink

Here is the eye candy....

View Profile of bifcozz Send a personal message to bifcozz      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-24 10:06 am   Permalink

eventually, the edgewater beach location became a kon tiki ports, i believe - or was it don the beachcomber....one of the 2 before it closed.....tiny boat taxis used to ferry folks to the edgewater hotel and back from navy pier and other stops along the lake front.

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-24 4:33 pm   Permalink

Amazing! Thank You biffcoz for scanning all that in! This must all be from his estate sale/auction a couple of years ago ( the same that yielded that amazing spec bowl I show in Tiki Modern?) It is great to see all this material ended up in appreciative hands. It always is a little eerie to see that no family members cared for all that. Well, we're his "family" now, we care!

Would it possible to enlarge/zoom in on the "Social Calendar November/December" piece, I would love to be able to read his movies' titles!

It is amazing to see that the little bit of "menu mythology" that I showed in the Book of Tiki was no sailor's yarn, but only a small part of his true story!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabu The Coconut Boy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-24 5:13 pm   Permalink

Thanks so much, bifcozz. It's nice to have that mystery-connection solved and the answers saved for posterity. I like that photo of Skipper Kent and this piece of artwork especially:

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bifcozz
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-02-26 3:58 pm   Permalink

bigbro here is the closeups you asked for

Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-29 12:08 pm   Permalink

Time to give this awesome thread a bump.

Picked up this nice flier advertising the Rage of the Tropics show at the Polynesian Village.

What a line up, Danny Kaleikini, the Tu-Tus comedy team and the Manu the sword dancer.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-29 1:19 pm   Permalink

...and "the HAUNTING Gene Rains Quartet"! Cool.

That one's got to be in my next CD booklet, DC, on the double page for the Gene Rains tune I will have in it!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-29 1:41 pm   Permalink

Would have been nice to hear Gene Rains do "Tiki" there...

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabu The Coconut Boy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-11-11 12:21 pm   Permalink

I was very excited to be able to purchase the original large-format negative of this photo. It shows a stylish couple having drinks in the Polynesian Village in June, 1960. Lots of nice details, including the man's shirt, that Tahitian tiki that shows up in so many other images, and a drink bowl to the far right.

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-11-11 12:32 pm   Permalink

Sabu,

That is a great find! Another amazing thing about the photo is that it has the illustrated islands drink map on the wall mural. It looks like the same one that you can get a peak at on the right side of the Skipper Kent's postcard.

DC

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-11-11 12:36 pm   Permalink

Is there an emoticon for "stuffing your fist in your mouth and biting on it" symbolizing a high level of excitement!?

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-11-11 2:01 pm   Permalink

I tried to doctor around on the contrast and gamma of the pic to lift up the background, but those white folks get too white real fast:

O.A. used to make this style Marquesan Tiki, here is a beautiful one at Duke Carter's amazing house:

You can see him better in a B&W version:

The Marquesan at Skipper Kents is quite similar, but I don't know if it's from the same carver as the two Tikis above.

Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-11-12 10:20 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-02-24 17:13, Sabu The Coconut Boy wrote:
Thanks so much, bifcozz. It's nice to have that mystery-connection solved and the answers saved for posterity. I like that photo of Skipper Kent and this piece of artwork especially:

Think that's a Stubenberg or just a copy of his style? Maybe clip-art?

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation