FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Locating Tiki » » The Polynesian Village, Chicago, IL (restaurant)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
The Polynesian Village, Chicago, IL (restaurant)
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-11-17 6:31 pm   Permalink

Sabu,

How about a close-up of that island drink mural?

Here is an ad from a 1961 Chicago guide featuring Martin Denny for two shows nightly at the Polynesian Village.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-01-25 12:42 pm   Permalink

Here is a drink menu I have from the Polynesian Room that is similar to the one posted by Bifcozz.

This one dropped the appetizers and listed strictly the drinks, with a few more added. The Covarrubias tiki rendering was added as well.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mangogirl808

Posted: 2011-07-07 7:11 pm   Permalink

Aloha, I live on Oahu. I have found pictures and history of the Kents on the big island. I just am fascinated with their lives. Do you have any pictures to share of the Kents? I have found pictures of their life and travels, and would like to start collecting!
Happy Day,
Mango girl

View Profile of mangogirl808 Send a personal message to mangogirl808  Email mangogirl808     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-07-07 11:30 pm   Permalink

MangoGirl,

Welcome to Tiki Central. It would be great to see some of your photos and information on the Kent's adventures in Hawaii posted here. You can search these forums to find out more information on Skipper Kent as well.

Dustycajun

BrendaT

Posted: 2011-08-18 07:41 am   Permalink

I think it's so cool how so many of the tiki bars were connected and created by one or two people. I would love to see a documentary or book done on the history of tiki bars and of the people who started the craze. Skipper Kent sounds like a really interesting person who lived quite an adventurous life.

View Profile of BrendaT Send a personal message to BrendaT      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mangogirl
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-02-26 3:19 pm   Permalink

It's possible that Lucille Kent was the designer or art director, of this establishment. She also did the interior for Skipper Kents and Zombie Village. That's why they look similar.
Happy Day,
Mangogirl

View Profile of mangogirl Send a personal message to mangogirl  Email mangogirl     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-27 6:39 pm   Permalink

Spotted this rare mug on ebay a while back from the Polynesian Village.

Looks like a Trader Vic's design but has an OMC tag. Anybody seen one of these before?

DC

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-28 10:04 am   Permalink

Wow! Never seen it. Pretty amazing the stuff they got away with back then! So clearly the classic Trader design.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Ragbag Comics
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-04-13 11:59 am   Permalink

Does anyone of you super sleuths out there know when, approximately, the Polynesian Village closed? If I had to guess,
I would put it around 1966.

I know the Edgewater Beach hotel closed in 1967, and that the main building of the hotel was torn down not
too long after that (perhaps 1969 at the latest.) The Edgewater Beach Apartments, which co-existed with the hotel,
still stand today and really make a person appreciate how grand the architecture of the hotel must have been.

The hotel lost its beach access around the time the Polynesian Village opened, due to the northward expansion of
Lake Shore Drive (which stopped at Foster prior to the expansion; that took place around 1954-55)

The Polynesian Village would have been kaput prior to 1967 when the hotel shuttered - here's a snippet from one of the local
neighborhood blogs, quoting Les Waverly, who was a band leader at the hotel in the 50's and 60's:

"They replaced the Polynesian Village and they tried to bring back the Marine Dining Room. There would be people who would come back to relive their honeymoon of 20 or 30 or 40 years ago and they were looking for that nice hotel that they enjoyed so much—and they’d spend one night in the rooms up there with the peeling plaster and the crummy bathroom and all that. We saw the hotel slip little by little. The stores began to close and they stopped operating the summer theater, but still you thought it would keep going."

Up until the sale to the hotel group from Boston in the 1950's (and, apparently with that, the Skipper Kent connection),
the Marine Dining Room was the primo place to go in the city, especially throughout the 30's and 40's when Benny Goodman,
Glenn Miller and all the other great band leaders of the era played there.

It sounds like that change back to the Marine Dining Room wasn't too long before the hotel closed, so I would have to guess the Village closed around 66-67-ish.

I can say, the area surrounding the hotel (Uptown/Edgewater) hit a period of sharp decline starting in the late 60's. It had been the "entertainment capital" of the North side of the city for decades, starting in the teens and 20's, but (as happens in big cities) it became mostly a slum throughout the late 60's, 70's, and 1980's, and is only really starting to rebound now. Clark Street (one of the main North-South thoroughfares, several blocks West of the Edgewater Beach hotel on Sheridan Road) was referred to as the "Hillbilly Highway" in the media starting in the late 60's, due to the massive influx of poor Appalachian immigrants in the neighborhood. Clark Street was pretty solidly country and western bars (Carol's Pub at Clark & Leland is all that's left now of
that time period.)If you've seen the 1970's horror classic "Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer," which was filmed in that area, you can see what the Uptown/Edgewater area looked like by the mid 1980's.

Off the topic of Tiki, sure, but hopefully some context to what was going on in area around the Edgewater Beach Hotel at the time the Polynesian Village was wrapping up will be interesting to some. Just trying to get an idea how long the Polynesian Village would have been going... it couldn't have been TOO long, as artifacts and information about the place seems to be rare to come by.

--Pete

View Profile of Ragbag Comics Send a personal message to Ragbag Comics  Goto the website of Ragbag Comics     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Or Got Rum?
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-04-13 2:35 pm   Permalink

Rag Bag, Trying to find some info from my Chicago connections...hopefully something will come up. To keep thing going on this great thread, here is an ad from a 1960 Chicago restaurant mag I have. Boy, Did they score some talent. OGR

View Profile of Or Got Rum? Send a personal message to Or Got Rum?      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-04-13 5:35 pm   Permalink

keep in mind there was also a polynesian village on addison but they may have gotten the old sign and tikis from the one in edge water after it closed. the sign in big yellow letters that once adorned the facade have been removed since the mid 90's but the tikis are still there and have been recently painted brown over their original black color.

if i recall, the sign was the same font as the one in edge water beach.

[ This Message was edited by: Tipsy McStagger 2014-04-13 17:36 ]

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiare
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-06-08 2:55 pm   Permalink

Picked up a Polynesian Village swizzle today at the flea market. At first I didn't recall where they were located but was delighted to find out in Chicago since I am from Chicagoland!

http://alohatiki.blogspot.com
A sporadically updated blog about tiki, food and stuff.

View Profile of Tiare Send a personal message to Tiare  Goto the website of Tiare     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation