FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Castaway, Stockton, CA (restaurant)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Castaway, Stockton, CA (restaurant)
abstractiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-18 7:27 pm   Permalink

The news articles I have on the Stockton Reef don't mention the Tallichet Restaurant Group or Specialty Restaurant Corp. It does mention three partners as as operators, Elves Marengo, Pete Massei and Frank Yip. They also mention that the building's basic construction was done by Emile Merlo of Stockton.

View Profile of abstractiki Send a personal message to abstractiki  Email abstractiki Goto the website of abstractiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tobunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-27 10:09 pm   Permalink

I was discussing this thread with my family at Thanksgiving (in Stockton), and my brother mentioned that my mom has a book that has a photo of the Castaway in it. The book is called Stockton Historical Landmarks and it catalogs some of Stockton's oldest landmark buildings. In the center spread that features several landmarks in the same shot, the Castaway can be seen in all its glory in the foreground.

The photo appears to be taken from the top of the structure directly to the west of the Castaway.

Here is the cover of the book, and a typical photo.

The center spread is the only color photo, and the caption reads "Downtown Stockton and the new marina - 1976 (Five Stockton historical landmarks are visible)"... perhaps it should read SIX Stockton historical landmarks are visible, including the Castaway!

Close up of the Castaway.

This is the view of the Castaway I remember as a kid, driving past it and seeing it from the freeway. As with the Islander, my family never went there, and in my mind, I thought it had something to do with Gilligan's Island, since that's the only reference I had to the word "castaway".

Since Abstracttiki has had such success with the photo archives of the Bank of Stockton, perhaps a search through other local bank archives would be fruitful.
Union Safe Deposit Bank, according to the cover of this book, has been around since 1897... It's Bank of the West now, but perhaps they still have something in their archives worth perusing.

http://ericoctober.com

View Profile of tobunga Send a personal message to tobunga  Email tobunga Goto the website of tobunga     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
abstractiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-27 11:46 pm   Permalink

Thanks for your posted comment tobunga, I like this color picture. After a minute or two i went back and compared it to the B&W Bank of Stockton photo and it's somewhat interesting that they were taken just seconds apart based on the person walking by the Van in the middle of the picture.

Also interesting that the B&W picture ended up in the the Bank of Stockton Archives and the color picture ended up in the History book by Union Safe Deposit Bank.

The building that the photographer was standing on to take the picture is still there today.

I'll pay Bank of the West a visit on Monday.

View Profile of abstractiki Send a personal message to abstractiki  Email abstractiki Goto the website of abstractiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tobunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-29 6:57 pm   Permalink

Awesome, Abstractiki!

Keep up the great sleuthing, and keep us posted on any new news about Stockton's golden era of tiki.

Oh, any info on the original Minnies on Harding Way? (It's now Gong's, a Chinese restaurant... tried to go there over Thanksgiving weekend, but they were closed for the holiday weekend!)

Mahalo!

[ This Message was edited by: tobunga 2010-01-02 20:26 ]

View Profile of tobunga Send a personal message to tobunga  Email tobunga Goto the website of tobunga     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
abstractiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-01 12:32 pm   Permalink

Mahalo Tobunga, I do have a few things from the Stockton Minnie's I ran across during my Stockton Tiki research.

I guess Stockton's Tiki History would not be complete with out a thread for this place. Ive been so busy with the other Tiki sites I just hadn't gotten around to doing it yet. Look for it soon.

I also have something on Stockton's only poly pop motel that I'll post soon.

tobunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-02 8:27 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-01-01 12:32, abstractiki wrote:
Mahalo Tobunga, I do have a few things from the Stockton Minnie's I ran across during my Stockton Tiki research.

I guess Stockton's Tiki History would not be complete with out a thread for this place. Ive been so busy with the other Tiki sites I just hadn't gotten around to doing it yet. Look for it soon.

I also have something on Stockton's only poly pop motel that I'll post soon.

AWESOME! Can't wait to see what you've uncovered!

Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-06 6:46 pm   Permalink

Abstractiki,

Check out this menu from the Castaway that I tried for on ebay. Great rendering of the exterior, what a beauty.

There was a Castaway drink and a Tiki Bowl.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
abstractiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-07 10:30 am   Permalink

Very cool! This outrigger style is something I don't remember seeing before.

I wish this place was still there. We could get a couple of Tiki bowls, motor on over to Windmill Cove for some rum, hit lost Isle for some Mai Tais and back to the Castaway for a $6 Top Sirloin!

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-07 10:43 am   Permalink

I believe that is actually the Castaway in Burbank...the way it once looked like.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation