FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving SDshirtman's first carve Finished 11/6/09
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
SDshirtman's first carve Finished 11/6/09
surfintiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-19 6:48 pm   Permalink

A man after my own heart...LOTS of sanding perfection!

View Profile of surfintiki Send a personal message to surfintiki  Goto the website of surfintiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikigodz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-19 8:25 pm   Permalink

nice!!!!!

View Profile of tikigodz Send a personal message to tikigodz  Email tikigodz     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hottiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-19 8:56 pm   Permalink

looks like some type of aquatictiki, maybe from neptune's lounge...wherever he's from, he's one cool tiki...can't wait to see his buddies !!!

View Profile of hottiki Send a personal message to hottiki  Email hottiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SDshirtman
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-10-22 1:25 pm   Permalink

I had a chance to work on his body a little more. Thank god for grinders.

I'm thinking about making his toes hang over the edge of his pedestal but we'll see.

I sanded his hindquarters. This is officially my wife's favorite part.
And yes, I have a 4 slot toaster.

Overall I'm pretty pleased with the progress so far. I'm thinking about if I want to do any designs on his arms or legs.
I'm also thinking about instead of burning him possibly using an airbrush for more control. What do you guys think?

[ This Message was edited by: SDshirtman 2009-10-22 13:26 ]

[ This Message was edited by: SDshirtman 2009-10-22 13:28 ]

[ This Message was edited by: SDshirtman 2009-10-22 13:33 ]

View Profile of SDshirtman Send a personal message to SDshirtman      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
congatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-22 2:05 pm   Permalink

Excellent design and carving....very nice.
And....looks like you got a hell of a toaster too.

View Profile of congatiki Send a personal message to congatiki  Email congatiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
benella
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-22 2:42 pm   Permalink

WOW, unbelievably amazing !
Smooth as I like it.

Benjamin.

View Profile of benella Send a personal message to benella  Goto the website of benella     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
seeksurf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-22 3:53 pm   Permalink

Sweetness! love the lines you have brought out and
smooth as butter. Beautiful!

View Profile of seeksurf Send a personal message to seeksurf  Email seeksurf Goto the website of seeksurf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
drasticwagon
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-22 4:04 pm   Permalink

MAN O MAN O MAN! What a great job, You was born to make tikis.

View Profile of drasticwagon Send a personal message to drasticwagon  Goto the website of drasticwagon     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiMango
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-22 4:10 pm   Permalink

He's coming along nicely! As for airbrush or other, that's your prerogative (your creation), depending on what you want him to look like in the end. I've seen spray paint, torch, stain... all used to achieve a different look and feel. Surprise us!

View Profile of TikiMango Send a personal message to TikiMango  Email TikiMango     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BIG tiki scott
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-22 4:55 pm   Permalink

sdshirtman!!! WOW!!! THAT IS ONE SWEET TIKI!!!! smooth as your tikis butt on a summers day and clean crisp lines WOW! as drastic wagon stated you were born to do this!!! and as for air brushing or burning or a combo its your tiki and as far as i can see you will do a great job w any!!! always remember its sumthin you created make sure you do what your mind thinks is right!!! cheerz!!

[ This Message was edited by: BIG tiki scott 2009-10-22 16:56 ]

View Profile of BIG tiki scott Send a personal message to BIG tiki scott  Email BIG tiki scott Goto the website of BIG tiki scott     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SDshirtman
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-10-28 01:44 am   Permalink

Here are the latest pics. I think I'm almost done. Seems like I have a million hours in him so far.
I'm contemplating doing some design work on the legs and arms. We'll see though. I dont want to overkill it.
Iv'e been sanding the living hell out of him to the point that I never want to see sandpaper again and I dont think I have fingerprints anymore.
My garage also has a fine coat of dust everywhere. And I mean EVERYWHERE! What a mess.

I wish i would have taken more pics of my first carve progress. My wife has some on here camera. Anyways here's what I have.

I used a dremel to do the lines in his hands. I haven't broken out the dremel much the entire carve except for this and a tad around his tongue.

I made the lines a little deeper and sharper with a chisel. I'd love to know how everyone else is doing it.

Here's a few to show a 360ish view.

In retrospect I would have done a few things different on the back but I'm cool with how this came out.

Here are some close ups. I did a small burn in his mouth to get a feel for the torch.
Still deciding is I want to burn him of use an airbrush to blacken in the deeper cuts.

Was kind of nervous about the eyes but now that its done I'm wondering what I was worried about.

So I think I still have some more sanding to do then I can think about staining him.
I bought some minwax special walnut to color him with.

If anyone can advise me I'm wondering if I should stain him all at once or do him in sections. Its been 15 years since I stained anything and he's a decent size at 44". Now that I'm this far into it I dont want to botch the last step.

Thanks for all the kind words of encouragement so far.

[ This Message was edited by: SDshirtman 2009-10-28 01:49 ]

View Profile of SDshirtman Send a personal message to SDshirtman      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-28 06:42 am   Permalink

Wow shirtman, this is an Awesome carving. The sills you have demonstrated are far beyond entry level and show great control and use of the tools at hand. Personally I would Not burn the details as yours are crisp and sharp and leave plenty surfaces for the shadows to show the real detail. I think if you burn it you lose that shadow interaction. Originally the burning was to smooth out the chainsaw tracks and combined with a wire brush was very effective at smoothing which we do now with a grinder and sanding papers. Stain could go either way, he is a very contemporary looking tiki so going with too dark a stain cold go against that. But it's OK to or not to stain.
Really Nice work and photos.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AlohaStation
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-28 07:12 am   Permalink

Nice carve! I would not burn him and would think about not staining him as well. Palm get MUCH darker when you put Polyurethane it. You may be happy with the natural color as opposed to staining him. Get a scrap piece and do some experimenting, especially if its been a while since you used stain. Either way it is still a cool tiki!

View Profile of AlohaStation Send a personal message to AlohaStation  Goto the website of AlohaStation     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
claq50
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-28 07:47 am   Permalink

Very cool, like where its heading.

View Profile of claq50 Send a personal message to claq50      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SDshirtman
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-10-28 11:51 am   Permalink

Thanks again. The complements really mean a lot to me coming from you guys. The suggestions not to stain have me second guessing what I'm going to do. At the same time I think I'm going to do it anyways. I'll do some test pieces beforehand though. I am going to heed Benzart advice and put the torch away. I'll post some pics after I get some color on him.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation