FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Trader Vic's Passport to Exotic Cocktails - And Other Brochure Items
Trader Vic's Passport to Exotic Cocktails - And Other Brochure Items
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-20 4:11 pm   Permalink

I picked up this nice little Trader Vic's Passport to Exotic Cocktails booklet.

How about these mug prices, four Suffering Bastard mugs for $6.95 or a Scorpion Bowl for $6.50!

This must have been the peak of the Trader Vic's merchandising era, look at all of the stuff listed.

The Passport advertises three different kinds of Trader Vic's blended rums, the Mai Tai Rum, the Navy Grog Rum and the Light Rum.

Here is the description. Made for the homeowner to replicate the drinks found at Trader Vic's

The Passport also lists a slew of recipes, many of which can still be made without the custom mixes.

Here is the Fog Cutter and the Tonga Punch.

A fun little memento from the Trader Vic's past.

DC

[ This Message was edited by: Dustycajun 2012-09-06 21:27 ]

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Digitiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-20 5:16 pm   Permalink

what an amazing find! Its really only recently that Trader Vic's has begun to sell their mugs and stuff again. For the longest time, if you asked if they sold their mugs at a restaurant, you got a "no" answer.

"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." -- Dean Martin

View Profile of Digitiki Send a personal message to Digitiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-21 04:20 am   Permalink

Great little book DC. I like the graphics. Is there a date for it anywhere?

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
LoungeShark
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-21 07:04 am   Permalink

That's a really nice find. Feel free to post more of the drink recipes.

View Profile of LoungeShark Send a personal message to LoungeShark      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-21 3:16 pm   Permalink

Digtiki,

I agree, it's good to see Trader Vic's offering their wares again. I got one of the new mugs from LA when the first opened.

Trav,

No date on the Passport booklet, but California Sales Tax charge on the order form was 4%, which puts it between 1962 and 1967.

LoungeShark,

Here are a few more scans from the Passport.

The full intro:

Some more recipes.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
LoungeShark
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-22 07:15 am   Permalink

Thanks DC. I appreciate it. Would love to get a set of those myself. Plus, it'd be interesting to see how different these drinks are using the TV Mai Tai Rum vs. the modern version of mix, dark rum and lime juice.

View Profile of LoungeShark Send a personal message to LoungeShark      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-22 11:45 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-10-20 16:11, Dustycajun wrote:

How about these mug prices, four Suffering Bastard mugs for $6.95 or a Scorpion Bowl for $6.50!

They call it a mai tai mug.
I wonder if they ever did serve a mai tai in the S.B. mug.
Great find DC.

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-22 8:43 pm   Permalink

I just had to grab this photo from Witch Doctors post showing the 4 set of the Suffering Bastard Mugs in the gift box - just as advertised! Wow!

DC

1961surf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-22 9:09 pm   Permalink

Thats my buddy Crazy Johnny in Augusta Georgia...I have seen this .
Awesome find .

View Profile of 1961surf Send a personal message to 1961surf  Email 1961surf Goto the website of 1961surf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Witch Doctor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-07 6:16 pm   Permalink

yea they are sweet...i have been offered some sick coin for them.. but sorry not for sale but Tiki bill will get them in my will,...hahahhah

View Profile of The Witch Doctor Send a personal message to The Witch Doctor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-09-06 9:43 pm   Permalink

I saw this great old brochure on ebay that had a lot of the Trader Vic's merchandise for sale.

Man he sold everything under the sun for some home fun!

Not to mention other items like

Cuff Links

Thermometers

Paper Weights

Pins

Cards

Rum

Lighters

And even an Olympic pin.

The merchandise master. Donn was never into that stuff.

DC

SandraDee
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-09-07 08:11 am   Permalink

Really dig this thread, thanks for bringing it back up DC. I actually have the first passport but in all honesty I never opened it to look at it until this morning when I read this thread!

Love seeing the prices on these items

View Profile of SandraDee Send a personal message to SandraDee      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Const Tiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-09-09 4:33 pm   Permalink

I like all of this stuff, but how can you figure out how much to pay for it?

View Profile of Const Tiki Send a personal message to Const Tiki  Email Const Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikilongbeach
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-10-17 12:18 pm   Permalink

On etsy.com they have a small Trader Vic hibachi for sale for $10.

www.etsy.com/listing/101932794/trader-vics-table-fondue-meat-heater?ref=sr_gallery_27&ga_search_query=trader+vic's&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_ship_to=US&ga_search_type=all

View Profile of tikilongbeach Send a personal message to tikilongbeach      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation