FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Ala Moana Shopping Center, Honolulu, HI (other)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Ala Moana Shopping Center, Honolulu, HI (other)
aquarj
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2012-07-25 01:24 am   Permalink

Got a few pics to share of the Ala Moana, and specifically the Waiola fountain by George Tsutakawa, which is still there. I really like this sculpture, and also Tsutakawa's style in general, so I made a post in Beyond Tiki with more general info about him.

Although the sculpture seems to have echoes of Hawaiiana, I think it actually has more to do with Tsutakawa's style rather than any overt intentional Hawaiian influence, which becomes clearer when you see it in the context of his other work. Still, it's very interesting how it fits into that modernist Hawaiian style that was like a time capsule of the mid 60s there.

First up, here's an older color photo of the Waiola fountain...

Now some recent pics...

Notice how the water is just coming out in one place now, versus the exuberant blasts churning up the pool all over the place in the older photo. Probably not 1000 gallons a minute anymore!

While admiring the fountain, I looked up and noticed probably the coolest Macy's exterior I've ever seen.

By and large, Ala Moana is like a regular mall now. There's not much discernible of that beautiful style from the concept drawings earlier in this thread, and of course the Brownlee carvings are long gone (some of my very favorite work by him). But it's nice to see these details that still survive!

-Randy

View Profile of aquarj Send a personal message to aquarj  Goto the website of aquarj     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-07-25 1:20 pm   Permalink

Aloha Randy,

Great to meet up with you. Funny, I was just by that fountain yesterday...

View Profile of Phillip Roberts Send a personal message to Phillip Roberts  Email Phillip Roberts     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-07-25 7:12 pm   Permalink

Some great photos there Randy. Thanks for documenting what's left.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Checkers&Pogo

Posted: 2013-05-20 07:28 am   Permalink

When I was ten years old in 1974, my parents used to take me to the Coral Reef restaurant regularly. I can remember the Supper Club look of the interior, the abalone soup, and the almond cookies at the end of every meal. It seems to me there were a lot of curving walls covered with tiny dark ceramic tiles, and cool hourglass shaped light fixtures inside, like the whole place was inspired by a lava lamp.

View Profile of Checkers&Pogo Send a personal message to Checkers&Pogo      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Checkers&Pogo

Posted: 2014-01-31 6:39 pm   Permalink

I was scanning some old slides of my parent's, and I discovered these photos taken in Ala Moana Shopping Center in 1969. I thought I'd share them here.

One thousand gallons per minute in evidence.

Children at the Koi ponds.

I think that might have been outside Shirokiya's Department store.

View Profile of Checkers&Pogo Send a personal message to Checkers&Pogo      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-05-08 8:14 pm   Permalink

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation