FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Music Mickey Hart Music
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
Mickey Hart Music
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-02 06:56 am   Permalink

Is this forum about Tiki or isn't it? WTF does hippy music have to do with poly pop? (other then the fact that hippy music KILLED off the tiki and lounge music scene) Let's discuss THAT!

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Sperm Whale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-02 08:16 am   Permalink

Does anybody think that the band W.A.S.P. is Tiki? I heard that Blackie Lawless went to Hawaii before.

he he

[ This Message was edited by: The Sperm Whale 2009-11-02 08:16 ]

View Profile of The Sperm Whale Send a personal message to The Sperm Whale  Email The Sperm Whale     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
LoungeShark
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-02 08:28 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-11-02 08:16, The Sperm Whale wrote:
Does anybody think that the band W.A.S.P. is Tiki? I heard that Blackie Lawless went to Hawaii before.

he he

[ This Message was edited by: The Sperm Whale 2009-11-02 08:16 ]

That's just wrong....but man, was that funny! I almost did a 'spit take' with my coffee.

View Profile of LoungeShark Send a personal message to LoungeShark      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-02 08:36 am   Permalink

In a tribute to hippies all over, I decided to go as "Mike Gordon from the band Phish" for halloween...I hope all you hippies like it!

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-02 08:53 am   Permalink

Got Djembe?

congatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-03 2:42 pm   Permalink

Well, I might as well jump in. Anyone who calls Mickey Hart/Planet Drum/Global
Drum Project/etc "hippie music"...just because Mickey was/is in a hippy band....
hasn't listened to any of it. I guess that means Dylan is a 'folkie."

View Profile of congatiki Send a personal message to congatiki  Email congatiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-03 3:04 pm   Permalink

Yes Dylan is a Folkie.

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-03 3:09 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-11-03 14:42, congatiki wrote:
Well, I might as well jump in. Anyone who calls Mickey Hart/Planet Drum/Global
Drum Project/etc "hippie music"...just because Mickey was/is in a hippy band....
hasn't listened to any of it. I guess that means Dylan is a 'folkie."

It may or may not be. Jerry Garcia played non-hippy music with Ornette Coleman and David Grisman, but he was a hippy from the start, and maintained the hippy appearance and attitude his whole life. And yes, Dylan was a "folkie" at his core. Johnny Cash was a country artist from the start. People can switch musical styles, but hippies generally follow a hippy code which dictates their attitude and appearance as well. I say, once a hippy ALWAYS a hippy. I am proud that I never became one.

But regardless, whether you consider Mickey hart a hippy or not, his music has little to nothing to do with poly-pop. Can you at least agree with that?

As much as you hippies would like it to be, this forum is not a hippy forum. It is dedicated to the poly-pop phenonenom known as "tiki", which is a product of the pre-hippy era. Why is this so hard for hippies to understand this concept? I know you want to spead your agenda, which is to make everyone a trust fund, djembe playing hippy...but Les Baxter was never any of those things.

I get that there are many hippies that are attracted to tikis and many hippies that live on Maui, but let's not confuse Hawaiian style with "tiki". That's been all but proven on this forum.

lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-03 3:20 pm   Permalink

And by the way, not only have I heard the album you are talking about, I also read the book. I have several hippy friends that are always trying to convert me to their cause, and one of them loaned me Mickey Hart's book to read years ago. I always give hippy-ness a chance, and am always dissapointed.

Sorry, I just can't get into that lifestyle.

And did you know that if you routinely are mindlessly and tunelessly banging away on a Djembe (while wearing your beanie cap and birkenstocks), that you are at risk for woolsorter's disease? Just one more reason not to be a hippy, INMHO.

[ This Message was edited by: lucas vigor 2009-11-03 15:21 ]

The Sperm Whale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-03 3:31 pm   Permalink

Here is what happens when hippy's and tiki mix ..... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKr-WKT4aiA Ha Ha Good Times

[ This Message was edited by: The Sperm Whale 2009-11-03 15:32 ]

View Profile of The Sperm Whale Send a personal message to The Sperm Whale  Email The Sperm Whale     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
congatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-03 3:31 pm   Permalink

Well there clearly won't be any informed discussion on this thread. Gonna go check
out some "poly pop" Frank Sinatra on You Tube, and I'll probably bang along on
my djembe. No hippy sandles up here though, too cold.

View Profile of congatiki Send a personal message to congatiki  Email congatiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-03 3:43 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-11-03 15:31, The Sperm Whale wrote:
Here is what happens when hippy's and tiki mix ..... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKr-WKT4aiA Ha Ha Good Times

[ This Message was edited by: The Sperm Whale 2009-11-03 15:32 ]

OMG!!!!!

This is the music the Smoking Menehunes played BEFORE I joined!!!!

Spermy, you made my day!~!

lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-03 3:46 pm   Permalink

Now I can't get that song out of my head!

WE LOVE TIKIS!!!!!!!!!!!!

But even more, we love GWAR!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1x_-JnarzUg

[ This Message was edited by: lucas vigor 2009-11-03 15:49 ]

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-03 4:25 pm   Permalink

Waitaminnit, isn't Merrel Fankhauser a SURF guitarist, so this is SURF ???

I think they should have a battle of the bands with Florida's THE TIKI BAND, and Mojo Nixon in the middle singing "I'm a prisoner of the Tiki Room":
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002QEGOGC/ref=dm_dp_trk10?ie=UTF8&qid=1255570390&sr=301-1

...all the while the NEON TIKI TRIBE dances to the music!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-03 4:48 pm   Permalink

Looks like he's been around for awhile!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merrell_Fankhauser

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation