Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Recipe: The Ice-less Bloody Mary
Recipe: The Ice-less Bloody Mary
thinkingbartender
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-10-31 7:47 pm   Permalink

Over the years I have had a very shakey relationship with the Bloody Mary, and by that I am not referring to its reputation as a morning after remedy. Too many times I have constructed Bloody Marys for customers while thinking, why are they drinking vodka with tomato juice? Regardless of how many "Ultimate" Bloody Mary recipes I have sampled, I have never quite been impressed by them; The reason for this ambivalence was never apparent until very recently; It was the wateryness of the mixture, and its increasing wateryness as it sat on the bartop which repulsed me. My "masterstroke" was to simply remove the ice, and thus the water, from the equation. Chill/ freeze the vodka, and chill the tomato juice; And then the drink is at the correct dilution from start til finish; Your only concern will be the temperature of the libation; But will it last that long in the glass when the drink is consistently good, rather than degrading into a watery fruit juice?

Whilst re-imagining this drink I wanted to experiment with the mouthfeel and texture of the libation; So along with coarsely ground black pepper, I ended up with finely diced cucumber, which gave pieces of crunchy bite, as well as being refreshing at the same time; Next up I settled on finely diced cocktail gherkins, which gave crunch, saltiness, and sourness.

Another good addition, though not included in the recipe below is finely diced celery stalk, which goes exceedingly well with celery salt.

As the tomato juice is thicker, due to the lack of dilution, which would normally be expected due to the use of ice in the preparation phase of this drink, the pieces are nicely suspended in the mixture; Almost guaranteeing that each sip/ gulp recieves an equal amount of solid material to mull over.

Bloody Mary.

Into an empty rocks glass: Finely dice two slices of cucumber and a cocktail gherkin, then pile it into a rocks glass. Add a heaped tablespoon of Nando's Peri-peri sauce, and 6 dashes of Worchestershire Sauce; And then squeeze the juice of half a fresh lime into the glass, Add salt and pepper to taste; 35ml of chilled/ frozen vodka; Top with chilled Tomato juice, Stir thoroughly with a teaspoon; Serve.
Note: There must be no ice, and no straws for this drink; A teaspoon is allowed.

There are even more refinements that can be made to this recipe, and this is best applied to jugs/ pitchers of the stuff; The tweaks to be recommended are freshly grated horseradish, celery salt, and finely diced celery, Finely Diced Capsicums, Finely Diced Red Onion, Dill, Garlic Salt, Salmon Roe.

Enjoy!

George

View Profile of thinkingbartender Send a personal message to thinkingbartender  Email thinkingbartender Goto the website of thinkingbartender     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rum Balls
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2009-11-02 06:45 am   Permalink

I like a good Bloody Mary like anyone who likes "eye openers," however it's not a tiki drink and doesn't belong in this thread.

View Profile of Rum Balls Send a personal message to Rum Balls      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thinkingbartender
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-11-02 07:12 am   Permalink

Wikipedia has a Rum Bloody Mary down as a Bloody Pirate; Though this is a new one on me!-)

So other than Rum, and Sea Salt, what else would go into a Tiki Bloody Mary?

Sounds like a challenge to me.

Cheers!

George

View Profile of thinkingbartender Send a personal message to thinkingbartender  Email thinkingbartender Goto the website of thinkingbartender     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Gnomon
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2009-11-02 07:38 am   Permalink

There should be a Tiki version of a Bloody Mary. At the same time that I think of spicy tomato juice when I hear the name, I do also think of the charater from Bali Hai in South Pacific. Maybe the Tiki version should come with a prawn at the bottom. When you finish the drink, you spear it with your Tiki swizzle stick.

View Profile of The Gnomon Send a personal message to The Gnomon      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rum Balls
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2009-11-02 07:53 am   Permalink

Quote:
Maybe the Tiki version should come with a prawn at the bottom. When you finish the drink, you spear it with your Tiki swizzle stick

Now THAT is a great idea!

View Profile of Rum Balls Send a personal message to Rum Balls      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
arriano
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-02 08:23 am   Permalink

For those who don't already know, Tiki Ti serves the Bloody Tiki:

http://www.tiki-ti.com/drinks/a-bloodytiki.html

Although what makes this specifically "tiki" I'm not sure.

View Profile of arriano Send a personal message to arriano      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Limbo Lizard
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-03 10:30 am   Permalink

I always hated the taste Bloody Marys. I liked the hot, spicy tomato juice, and all, but it was ruined by the taste of..., well, alcohol.
Don't get me wrong. I drink whiskey neat, and such. But vodka just tastes like a solvent to me, something to keep in the garage with the other chemicals and degreasers.
Several years ago, on a whim, I made one with 1 oz. gold rum and 1 oz. gold tequila, in place of vodka. I thought it was great! Since then, most Bloody Mary fans that I've served this to, considered it an improvement. Give it a try, sometime..., FWIW.

(Hmmm, just noticed this'll be my 300th post)

View Profile of Limbo Lizard Send a personal message to Limbo Lizard      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
palapala
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-06 3:30 pm   Permalink

I think this drink sounds like a great brunch ATERNATIVE!
Much less of all that pesky chewing!
Think boozey gaspatcho!

View Profile of palapala Send a personal message to palapala  Email palapala     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-09-28 8:26 pm   Permalink

Yes, I am going to promote a drink that does not contain rum.

In my defense.... This is a kick-ass recipe for a Bloody Mary from a kick-ass local bartender. And I don't particularly care for a Bloody Mary but this one is pretty damn tasty!

Freddy Diaz (http://www.facebook.com/diazfreddy) offers the "SOUTHERN SANGUINE" and it is:

2 parts ABSOLUT Peppar
1 part Maple Bacon Infused ABSOLUT VODKA
3 parts Tomato Puree/Juice
1.5 parts Red Bell Pepper Puree
4 dashes Sriracha Chili Pepper Sauce
.5 part Rhubarb Puree
.5 part Freshly Squeezed Lemon Juice
.5 part Worcestershire Sauce

Garnished with rhubarb and bacon and a bunch more stuff that takes up to awesome! The rest of the instructions are at the link below.

Now, I share this with you for another reason..... Freddy originally submitted this recipe to a contest for Absolut vodka. What he didn't realize was the contest was going to be judged by the public voting style. So...... please vote for Freddy's Southern Sanguine! Pretty Please with Maple Bacon on Top!

http://absolutbloody.com/florida/168

I thank you.

Freddy thanks you.

And it really is a good Bloody Mary! You should try one even if you don't vote for the drink.

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2012-09-28 9:22 pm   Permalink

Rhubarb puree? hmmm...

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2012-09-28 9:29 pm   Permalink

Wow...that sounds pretty sophisticated C&A.

I think you are onto something there with the cold ingredients and no ice...although I like a good Bloody Mary and enjoy fancy garnishes...like a meal on a stick in that drink.

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-09-29 07:59 am   Permalink

will have to try that out sometime. i find lime instead of lemon greatly improves a bloody mary. and some celery salt...

View Profile of thePorpoise Send a personal message to thePorpoise  Email thePorpoise     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
twitch
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2012-10-06 5:34 pm   Permalink

Sounds like y'all are trying to make what we Canucks always called a Caesar (or Bloody Caesar)!:

1 oz vodka
2 dashes hot sauce (usu. Tabasco-pepper sauce)
dash of horseradish
3 dashes freshly ground salt and pepper
4 dashes Worcestershire sauce
4 oz Mott's Clamato Original Cocktail (or sub)

Garnish:
1 celery stick
1 lime wedge

Moisten rim of glass and apply thick layer of celery salt.

Perfect when served before a meal as it invigorates the appetite!

I can't wait to try the variations above though....

View Profile of twitch Send a personal message to twitch      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation