FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Locating Tiki » » Tahitian Lanai/Papeete Bar, Honolulu, HI (restaurant)
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
Tahitian Lanai/Papeete Bar, Honolulu, HI (restaurant)
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-31 10:28 pm   Permalink

Name:Tahitian Lanai/Papeete Bar
Type:restaurant
Street:Waikikian Hotel
City:Honolulu
State:HI
Zip:
Phone:

Description:
There have been lots of different posts on the Tahitian Lanai and the Papeete Bar at the Waikikian Hotel, but nothing consolidated here on Locating Tiki so I thought I would start one.

Lets start with the signs - they tell you where to go - to the Tahitian Lanai!

Once you are there, this is what you find, the restaurant and bar on the pool by the Blue Lagoon.

Some images from a brochure I have.

A pic of the Papeete bar from the Gregg's great website

http://gregg-n.tripod.com/waikikian_tiki_gardens.htm

I had seen this postcard on ebay and it said it was from the Tahitian Lanai, but I am not sure.

Menus and Matchbooks
(some form Mimi and Greggs websites)

Here is a rendering from the brochure that gives you an idea of the layout and location.

What a cool place this must have been

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-Kate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-01 06:49 am   Permalink

The Tahitian Lanai had a few great, strange mugs.

The Bamboo Mug.

The Palm Tree Mug.

They also had this nice double old fashioned. (From the collection of Tattoo.)

View Profile of Tiki-Kate Send a personal message to Tiki-Kate  Goto the website of Tiki-Kate     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-01 09:26 am   Permalink

Kate,

Cool mugs, I was hoping someone would post those. Here is another version from Gregg's website:

There was even a song for this place!

ACROSS THE ALLEY FROM THE ILIKAI
by Paul Page © 1973

Across the alley from the Ilikai
There's a tavern
And I can't deny
It's like home away from home to me

There beside a blue lagoon we knew
Be it morning, noon, or nitetime too
You will find me
Underneath a coconut tree

Follow the sound of a happy song
Follow the pathway
You can't go wrong
'Round the piano bar, how time goes by

Ia o ra na my friend
And aloha 'til we meet again
'Til we meet again
At the Tahitian Lanai

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-20 08:27 am   Permalink

Here is another shot of the Tahitian Lanai by the pool.

It came from this oversized postcard with a variety of pictures from the Waikikian.

DC

(extra 4 sale on ebay)

tikiyaki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-20 10:16 am   Permalink

The Waikikian and Tahitian Lanai are the first place on the Time Machine travel destination list. This place was just amazing.

[ This Message was edited by: tikiyaki 2009-11-21 07:49 ]

View Profile of tikiyaki Send a personal message to tikiyaki  Email tikiyaki Goto the website of tikiyaki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
naugatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-20 10:46 am   Permalink

Here's one from the Tahitian Lanai, I believe the pole inside extended to the roof and is depicted in the yellow menu. I like the way it was opened up like dining outside, probably why it was called a "Lanai".

View Profile of naugatiki Send a personal message to naugatiki  Email naugatiki Goto the website of naugatiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
naugatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-08 5:44 pm   Permalink

Forget Tiki evolution how about tiki mutation. I guess Daga was trying to save a few ducktes with the same mug but a different logo. Anyone been to The Bum Steer?

View Profile of naugatiki Send a personal message to naugatiki  Email naugatiki Goto the website of naugatiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-09 5:24 pm   Permalink

Naugatiki,

Here are a couple more old photos I have from a 1958 version of House Beautiful. You can see the pole through the roof. The expanse of opening widows was an awesome feature.

DC

Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-14 3:49 pm   Permalink

Found some more old photos of the Tahitian Lanai on the internet.

Here is a picture from the main dining area.

This photo is of a Princess N? Room. I think this confirms that the Prince Hinoi Room postcard I listed previously was located at the Tahitian Lanai and not the Waioli Tea Room. They must have been a his and hers matching dining hut kind of think.

Sabu found an old Polaroid shot of the Prince Hinoi room mixed in with some Waioli Tea Room items in a scrap book.

DC

Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-15 12:08 pm   Permalink

Here is another old photo from the net. They really spared no expense on those chairs used for the patio dining!

Here is an excerpt from a Hawaiian trivia book that details how the Tahitian Lanai got its name from the owner Spencer Weaver.

DC

Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-23 3:08 pm   Permalink

An unusual drink mug from the Tahitian Lanai

and a different matchbook from ebay.

DC

WaikikianMoeKele
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-26 9:13 pm   Permalink

Here's a complete pic of that last matchbook.

~kele

View Profile of WaikikianMoeKele Send a personal message to WaikikianMoeKele  Email WaikikianMoeKele     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
naugatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-06 10:49 am   Permalink

Here’s a peak into one of the rooms circa 1971, not exactly the 4 Seasons but you wouldn’t expect that in a faux hut anyway. It gets bonus points for the red mid century Ericofon by the Moai Lamp.

[ This Message was edited by: naugatiki 2010-03-06 10:50 ]

WaikikianMoeKele
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-06 11:52 am   Permalink

Wow! This is something that I am so excited to see - candid shots of the Waikikian! (I've seen a couple from the Tahitian Lanai, but more of those would be wonderful, too!) I thought that someone somewhere must have taken some but this is the first that I've seen.
Thanks for identifying the Ericofon. When I first saw it, I must say that it looked like something else a bit more... umm... personal had been left as an offering beside the Moai lamp. lol
Thank you so much for sharing this picture, you truly made my day!
~Kele

View Profile of WaikikianMoeKele Send a personal message to WaikikianMoeKele  Email WaikikianMoeKele     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-06 1:04 pm   Permalink

Naugatiki,

Great photo!

I have to admit I did not know what this Ericofon reference was all about. Thank god for the internet.

It's a phone and not a......

DC

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation