FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Locating Tiki » » Tahitian Lanai/Papeete Bar, Honolulu, HI (restaurant)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
Tahitian Lanai/Papeete Bar, Honolulu, HI (restaurant)
naugatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-06 3:41 pm   Permalink

Another plus to the phone is when it rings it makes a birdlike sound which probably makes staying there like being in the recording booth of Martin Denny’s Exotic Moog. A great nuance (If not intentional) to the hotel.

View Profile of naugatiki Send a personal message to naugatiki  Email naugatiki Goto the website of naugatiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-08 3:51 pm   Permalink

I got another brochure from the Waikikian that has a few more nice photos of the Tahitian Lani and the Papeete Bar.

The poolside area.

A few interior scenes.

Tahitian Lanai Restaurant

Papeete Bar

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
WaikikianMoeKele
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-10 8:27 pm   Permalink

Great pics, DC!
I just got a new Waikikian Hotel item.

~Kele

View Profile of WaikikianMoeKele Send a personal message to WaikikianMoeKele  Email WaikikianMoeKele     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DMayL

Posted: 2010-08-11 2:38 pm   Permalink

Mahalo nui loa to each and every one of you for posting these treasures from my all time favorite place in all the world! How glad I am that I wasn't there to see it destroyed.

All I have are sixteen years of wonderful memories (even met the love of my life at the TL), but not one single memento. The one treasure I did have, a cassette tape recorded by the "Tahitian Lanai Singers" at the TL back in the late '80s, was somehow lost in our move back to the mainland. Anyone know how I might get another copy?

Again, Mahalo!

D.

View Profile of DMayL Send a personal message to DMayL      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
WaikikianMoeKele
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-12 06:41 am   Permalink

D~
Welcome to TC! I'm so jealous that you have 16 years of memories at the Tahitian Lanai. I have only one night, but it was magical. And a tape of the TL singers?!? That would be so great to hear. There is one YouTube video that I know about of "The Gang" singing "Honolulu City Lights."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dO9dAe_v7Sc
In case you haven't seen it, another wonderful site is Naugatiki's "The Waikikian Hotel Tiki Gardens & Tahitian Lanai Memorial Page" http://gregg-n.tripod.com/waikikian_tiki_gardens.htm

DC~
I guess this thread is technically for the Tahitian Lanai & Papeete Bar. Since you started it, is it ok to keep posting Waikikian Hotel stuff here too?
~kele

View Profile of WaikikianMoeKele Send a personal message to WaikikianMoeKele  Email WaikikianMoeKele     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-12 10:00 am   Permalink

ACROSS THE ALLEY FROM THE ILIKAI
by Paul Page © 1973

Across the alley from the Ilikai
There's a tavern
And I can't deny
It's like home away from home to me

There beside a blue lagoon we knew
Be it morning, noon, or nitetime too
You will find me
Underneath a coconut tree

Follow the sound of a happy song
Follow the pathway
You can't go wrong
'Round the piano bar, how time goes by

Ia o ra na my friend
And aloha 'til we meet again
'Til we meet again
At the Tahitian Lanai

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
WaikikianMoeKele
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-12 3:57 pm   Permalink

Wish that I could find the music for that song so I'd have a tune to go with the words.
~kele

Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-12 4:57 pm   Permalink

Aloha,

There are LOADS of eyecandy of the Waikikian Hotel, Gardens, and the Tahitian Lanai restaurant in "Waikiki Tiki, Art, History and Photographs." I'm sorry that you will have to wait until October 1, 2010 to see it all.

Oil on Velvet once hung at the Tahitian Lanai. This currently resides in Gecko's collection. I couldn't find a place for it in the book. Too much other good stuff to fit in.

[ This Message was edited by: Phillip Roberts 2010-08-12 16:57 ]

View Profile of Phillip Roberts Send a personal message to Phillip Roberts  Email Phillip Roberts     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
WaikikianMoeKele
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-12 5:35 pm   Permalink

Phillip~
Mahalo! I was hoping that the Waikikian & Tahitian Lanai would be well represented in your book, but it is so great to know that there will be much from there to look forward to! (Now I just have to wait til Oct. 1)
~kele

naugatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-12 6:46 pm   Permalink

And coincidentally today is the day I finally uploaded a rough short video I recieved years ago of The Tahitian Lanai from 1994 during a hapa haole piano singalong.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AviVw9MQuDA

[ This Message was edited by: naugatiki 2010-08-12 18:59 ]

View Profile of naugatiki Send a personal message to naugatiki  Email naugatiki Goto the website of naugatiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-12 9:09 pm   Permalink

Wow, that's really bad quality home video. But nevertheless: Yeah, that's the spirit I remember. It was great staying at one of the rooms and just having to walk down the gardens and find a gathering of old timers and Hapa Haole musicians that would just drop in in the course of an evening and join the circle of old school merry makers.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-13 6:22 pm   Permalink

Yes, but it's bad quality home video in HD!

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
WaikikianMoeKele
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-14 8:20 pm   Permalink

Quote:

Anyone know where this sign was located? Thanx!

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-15 12:31 am   Permalink

I think this sign was on the wall in the side alley between the Waikikian Hotel grounds and the Ilikai Hotel, whose high rise building overshadowed the one floor buildings of the hotel rooms and the bar. The Tahitian Lanai didn't have a fancy entrance from the street, just sort of an opening in the wall, if I remember correctly, having been primarily conceived as a hotel bar and restaurant to be reached from the Waikikian grounds.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
aquarj
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-09-01 11:06 pm   Permalink

Here are a couple pics of the Tahitian Lanai from the 80s.

This one shows how you could sort of see in from the street

The Queen Pomare IV dining hut

I was going to post a handful of photos of the Waikikian, but have the darndest time figuring out where to put them. Maybe together with the Tahitian Lanai, here? Or should there be a separate Locating Tiki thread for the Waikikian Hotel itself? Or maybe just use
the 2003 thread started by ZuluMagoo?

-Randy

View Profile of aquarj Send a personal message to aquarj  Goto the website of aquarj     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation