FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Tahitian Lanai/Papeete Bar, Honolulu, HI (restaurant)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
Tahitian Lanai/Papeete Bar, Honolulu, HI (restaurant)
Bora Boris
Mr. Unreasonable

Posted: 2010-09-01 11:14 pm   Permalink

Carried over from page 2

Quote:

On 2010-09-01 23:06, aquarj wrote:
Here are a couple pics of the Tahitian Lanai from the 80s.

This one shows how you could sort of see in from the street

The Queen Pomare IV dining hut

I was going to post a handful of photos of the Waikikian, but have the darndest time figuring out where to put them. Maybe together with the Tahitian Lanai, here? Or should there be a separate Locating Tiki thread for the Waikikian Hotel itself? Or maybe just use the 2003 thread started by ZuluMagoo?

-Randy

I vote for the Zulu Magoo thread and maybe Sabu could repost his images from the April 1957 issue of INTERIORS magazine.

Maybe?

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
aquarj
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2010-09-02 09:30 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-09-01 23:14, Bora Boris wrote:
I vote for the Zulu Magoo thread and maybe Sabu could repost his images from the April 1957 issue of INTERIORS magazine.

Done, and I totally agree about refreshing the dead (or "shutterflown") links on that thread!

-Randy

View Profile of aquarj Send a personal message to aquarj  Goto the website of aquarj     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabu The Coconut Boy
Tiki Central Poet Laureate

Posted: 2010-11-07 12:41 am   Permalink

I'll see if I can re-scan those pictures from the other thread.

In the meantime, here is an image that DC posted earlier. This is just a little more of a close-up, showing the colors the tiki pole was painted by the 1970s.

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-11-08 6:53 pm   Permalink

Placemats...

Must find our room pics in the future. (pre digital)

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build stuff for you!
www.myspace.com/bambooben

[ This Message was edited by: RevBambooBen 2010-11-08 18:54 ]

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goddess o'pilikoa

Posted: 2010-11-15 7:52 pm   Permalink

Was just lucky enough to obtain one of the tiki from the old Tahitian Lanai!
Three of them ended up on Kauai and the Historical Society was selling them off.
I have one, my neighbor has one and so does a friend. There were 40 of them from Tahiti.
This one is pretty happy to be here in Hanalei.

View Profile of Goddess o'pilikoa Send a personal message to Goddess o'pilikoa  Email Goddess o'pilikoa     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
WaikikianMoeKele
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-11-15 8:53 pm   Permalink

Where did you find this? & I want one! Altho I suppose it would be difficult to get it to Pennsylvania.
~kele

[ This Message was edited by: WaikikianMoeKele 2010-11-16 07:19 ]

View Profile of WaikikianMoeKele Send a personal message to WaikikianMoeKele  Email WaikikianMoeKele     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goddess o'pilikoa

Posted: 2010-11-21 7:45 pm   Permalink

The Historical Society here had 3 for sale as fundraisers.
They came over from Oahu, brought by someone at the auction when the
old Waikikian Tahitian Lanai was torn down.
I'm one lucky Goddess!

View Profile of Goddess o'pilikoa Send a personal message to Goddess o'pilikoa  Email Goddess o'pilikoa     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
abstractiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-11-22 8:52 pm   Permalink

I discovered this photograph in the the Huntington Library Archives.

"Title: Hawaii: Tahitian Lanai restaurant. Exterior. Honolulu, HI
Creator/Contributor: Yerkes, Charles E.
Date: 1957
Contributing Institution: The Huntington Library"

View Profile of abstractiki Send a personal message to abstractiki  Email abstractiki Goto the website of abstractiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-11-22 10:17 pm   Permalink

Aloha

Nice one. It's one of the hotel room buildings at the Waikikian. You can see one of the Edward M. Brownlee gables on the top. Was there a side view or any others there?

View Profile of Phillip Roberts Send a personal message to Phillip Roberts  Email Phillip Roberts     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
abstractiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-11-23 8:47 pm   Permalink

Aloha Phillip, the only other pictures of this place were these three. They were already posted on the first page of this thread by DC so i didn't include them in my post.

View Profile of abstractiki Send a personal message to abstractiki  Email abstractiki Goto the website of abstractiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
1961surf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-11-26 12:28 pm   Permalink

These rare and sought after set of Tahitian palm tree mugs sold within the last several days
on flea bay .Same tiki mugs that Tiki Kate posted prior on this thread.Not my photos.
Photos by Kooky kitsch .Tiki petroglyphs on lower part of mug .I would think these would be
considered crypto mugs, since they are so rare .

View Profile of 1961surf Send a personal message to 1961surf  Email 1961surf Goto the website of 1961surf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
WaikikianMoeKele
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-12-02 6:28 pm   Permalink

I would very much like to connect with someone who would like to have extended conversations about the Waikikian/Tahitian Lanai.
~kele

View Profile of WaikikianMoeKele Send a personal message to WaikikianMoeKele  Email WaikikianMoeKele     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabu The Coconut Boy
Tiki Central Poet Laureate

Posted: 2010-12-03 10:34 pm   Permalink

Another cool feature of these Huntington Library photos of the Tahitian Lanai, is that they have a feature to let you Zoom-In on the details to quite a high degree. And because these were good negatives, you can really get into the pictures. With a few screen-grabbing tricks, I was able to get the images below:

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
abstractiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-12-03 10:44 pm   Permalink

nice work!

WaikikianMoeKele
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-12-04 2:08 pm   Permalink

Wow! The detail on those pics is amazing.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation