FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Polynesian Room, Fort Lauderdale, FL (restaurant)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Polynesian Room, Fort Lauderdale, FL (restaurant)
heelgrinder
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-06-11 06:13 am   Permalink

Love all these graphics! The Clipper (I, like Kiliki, will ALWAYS call it that) is going to be a great home for us again

View Profile of heelgrinder Send a personal message to heelgrinder  Email heelgrinder Goto the website of heelgrinder     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Greg_D_R
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-06-21 1:27 pm   Permalink

What a great thread. I have one of Mo-Eye's prints of the blue matchbook art, so I googled Polynesian Room, and of course ended up here. Thanks to all who posted the pics and articles, wonderful stuff.

View Profile of Greg_D_R Send a personal message to Greg_D_R      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-07-19 8:14 pm   Permalink

Great research as usual Tiki Tom D.

I picked up a new postcard from the Polynesian Room. A double oversized card that shared the billing with the Cabaret Caprice at the Sheraton Fort Lauderdale Hotel.

Here is a close up of the Polynesian Room photo. A nice mural in the background, good looking Hawaiian style band, but what's up with the Balinesian style dancers?

I also spotted this menu from the Polynesian Room that has a full view of the Tiki shown on the matchbook first posted by Tiki-Kate (Viva!).

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-07-19 10:47 pm   Permalink

Hey...I was hoping for a blow up of "Cabaret Caprice", also!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-07-25 7:32 pm   Permalink

Here you go Bigbro. A whip man and four wild skating Kitty Cats on Ice! The night-time entertainment scene was obviously very competitive back in the day in Fort Lauderdale.

I picked up one of the brochures that Tiki Tom D posted and it had two 1957-58 rate sheets inside.

Can we get those prices for 2013 Hukilau?

The rate sheet had some nice info and graphics on the facilities:

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-04-09 05:14 am   Permalink

picked this up recently.....

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTomD
Grand Member (5 years)  

Posted: 2013-04-10 07:36 am   Permalink

Tipsy, that's a great find!

The photo is in the Polynesian Room dining area. The wahine serving the drink is Tuai, who also performed in the show with Nani Maka, Pasefika and Taafili, with music provided by George Hines and his band. This was likely in the 1960s, but certainly no later than the very early 1970s.

DC and bigbrotiki, Cabaret Caprice was an ice show in the Sheraton Fort Lauderdale Hotel on the Ocean, also built by Bob Gill, who subsequently renamed it to the Yankee Trader as sort of a sibling with the flagship Yankee Clipper Hotel.

Really nice contributions to the thread...

-Tom

View Profile of TikiTomD Send a personal message to TikiTomD      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation