FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Music Sven's The SOUND of TIKI CD -preview and discussion
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )
Sven's The SOUND of TIKI CD -preview and discussion
Kon-Tiki Viking
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-04-15 1:11 pm   Permalink

Got my copy of the CD from the wonderful 8-Ball yesterday and have been playing it at every available moment since. Everything about this CD says quality : Sven's choice of music, the sound reproduction, the incredible artwork, the pages of Tiki eye-candy and the wealth of information Sven has provided about each track. As a long-time collector of Exotica I thought my collection was pretty complete but finding such treasures as the Marais & Miranda "I-Ha-She", Gloria Lynne's cool version of "Bali Ha'i" and Don Ho's "Hawaii Five-O"/Quiet Village" medley were real eye-openers. This is a must have for every Tiki fan and the perfect musical introduction to the allure of Tiki for those yet to discover the Polynesian Pop cultural phenomenon.

One of my favorite sections of the CD's amazing book has to be this lay-out for the Surfman's "Bamboo" and the extraordinary coincidence linking the man behind the Surfmen concept and one Sven Kirsten...

Here's a couple more lay-outs from the book to further wet your appetites....

View Profile of Kon-Tiki Viking Send a personal message to Kon-Tiki Viking      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
heylownine
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-04-18 4:28 pm   Permalink

I just got mine from 8-Ball as well. I haven't even had a chance to listen yet (it's next on my to-do list) but the packaging and liner notes are exquisite (as expected). This is the first time in years I've been happy to buy a physical CD!

Off to play...

kevin

View Profile of heylownine Send a personal message to heylownine  Email heylownine Goto the website of heylownine     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kon-Hemsby
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-19 05:01 am   Permalink

Killer CD. I've listened to it over and over and read and re-read the extensive liner notes. A thoroughly recommended purchase to everyone one on here. AND their friends.

View Profile of Kon-Hemsby Send a personal message to Kon-Hemsby  Email Kon-Hemsby     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DejaVoodoo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-19 10:10 pm   Permalink

Well, it appears that Amazon.com is not the best place to order "The Sound Of Tiki."

I just cancelled my February 27th pre-order because, although it was supposed to ship sometime in the next day or two with a delivery estimate of April 22, 2010, the product page associated with my order claimed that the CD has been discontinued by the manufacturer. I don't believe that to be true because a search for "The Sound Of Tiki" on Amazon.com yields the deleted CD listing with the familiar cover art as well as a mysterious little album titled "Various Artists" by The Sound Of Tiki supposedly releasing sometime around May 4, 2010 sans cover art. Yeah, right. Something's definitely fishy around here. I have no tolerance for such foolishness and mayhem and so I made my way to CDUniverse.com where I found "The Sound Of Tiki" in stock, shipping in 1-2 days, with a price only slightly higher than my Amazon pre-order and significantly less expensive than 8 Ball's web store.

Here's hoping it won't be too long before I get to experience the wonderful music and packaging you've all been enjoying for quite some time now. Keep your fingers crossed for me, please!

View Profile of DejaVoodoo Send a personal message to DejaVoodoo      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-20 12:20 am   Permalink

Dang! There must have been a misunderstanding between Amazon and Bear Family...That's too bad, nobody can beat Amazon prices. But I could only find it for $ 26.25 at CD Universe, which is not "only slightly higher than Amazon", and also not "significantly cheaper" than the $ 26.95 at 8-Ball ? Sorry for those Import difficulties.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DejaVoodoo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-20 06:55 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-04-20 00:20, bigbrotiki wrote:
Dang! There must have been a misunderstanding between Amazon and Bear Family...That's too bad, nobody can beat Amazon prices. But I could only find it for $ 26.25 at CD Universe, which is not "only slightly higher than Amazon", and also not "significantly cheaper" than the $ 26.95 at 8-Ball ? Sorry for those Import difficulties.

Yeah, and Amazon tends to ship things in super-protective cardboard boxes versus the typical bubble wrap padded envelope for a single CD. I figured with cargo (a CD) this important, Amazon would be my best bet for receiving "The Sound Of Tiki" with the least possible damage during transit. Oh well.

And referring to the adjectives I tacked on to my pricing discussion above, the total cost with shipping from 8 Ball would have been roughly $36.32. My pre-order price guarantee for my cancelled Amazon order was set around $23, and now I've secured a copy of "The Sound Of Tiki" from CDUniverse for $26.28, a price which includes shipping. That's a savings of $10 compared to 8 Ball's web store and only $3 and some change more than my previously quoted Amazon price. In this economy and on my budget, a savings of $10 IS significant. Gotta try and find deals for the things I want when I can, right?

Now all I've got to do is sit tight and wait for my CD to arrive in the mail. It's gonna be fantastic when it finally does!

View Profile of DejaVoodoo Send a personal message to DejaVoodoo      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-20 2:53 pm   Permalink

I just got a copy of Jeff Berry's "REMIXED" and, besides the fact that it is an absolutely gorgeous volume, I was reminded that many of the Bum's classic concoctions collected in this tome are the perfect companion to "The Sound of Tiki":

Beginning with the AKU AKU Lapu, to be enjoyed with Martin Denny's "Aku Aku", one can go down the track list and imbibe the Mr. BALI HAI, the CASTAWAY, the KON-TIKI Ti Punch, the HAWAIIAN EYE, and last not least, the PIECES OF EIGHT, all with their appropriate aural accompaniment!

Well, maybe not in one hearing.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Iokona Ki'i
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-20 3:44 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-04-20 14:53, bigbrotiki wrote:

Well, maybe not in one hearing.

Worth a try though dontcha think?!
Great job on all fronts Sven!!
My fav is the Surfers Ulili-E.

[ This Message was edited by: Iokona Ki'i 2010-04-20 17:12 ]

View Profile of Iokona Ki'i Send a personal message to Iokona Ki'i  Email Iokona Ki'i Goto the website of Iokona Ki'i     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
A Frame
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-20 5:26 pm   Permalink

Picked up my copy at 8-Ball last weekend and have been listening to it in the car since. BTW, it was my first trip to 8-Ball. For those in and around Burbank, its a nice place to find all kinds of great gift items and also seems to offer something for everyone.

Back to the CD. I think the outcome of your project is great Sven. The liner notes are really like a mini paperback BOT, full of TIKI detail! I fully agree with your "Remixed" comments. I think my next step will be to mix up a Zombie, put the headphones on, kick back while reading the liner notes and drift away...that way Im not "just a derelict, on the phone"...Im just listening to a really fine CD. Congrats!
A

View Profile of A Frame Send a personal message to A Frame      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Danno
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-20 5:27 pm   Permalink

Picked mine up about a week ago from 8-Ball and have to say the whole thing is definitely great listening pleasure! Though I have to say that "Aku Aku" and "Taboo Tu" are my favorites. I'm hoping to make it to the signing!!

View Profile of Danno Send a personal message to Danno      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikigik
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-04-20 11:09 pm   Permalink

As it appears on the back cover of the Hawaii Five-O
soundtrack album:

"That's what I asked Morton Stevens to put into music.
The value of a great one-minute theme to any television
series is inestimable and I wanted one for my then brand
spanking new HAWAII FIVE-O. No ukeleles or steel guitars
or falsetto singers or overused bongos, but a kind of
melding of the Polynesian, the classic, the jazz and most
of all the pop sound of today. HAWAII FIVE-O is all of
these things and so, happily, is Morton Stevens' music,
as you will discover. Aloha!" [My note: - Leonard Freeman
(creator of the TV series "Hawaii Five-O")]

View Profile of tikigik Send a personal message to tikigik  Goto the website of tikigik ICQ status     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-21 12:21 am   Permalink

Haha! That's right, nuke the ukes, the Hapa Haole singing and the "overused bongos"! Those are tired cliches!
This again proves that Hawaii 5-0 was post-Tiki. I bet Leonard Freeman did not expect Don Ho to vocalize his "pop sound of today", dragging it right back into the realm of the Ueber-Kitsch he aimed to avoid.

I think I figured out why the CD's shipping at 8-Ball seemed so high: Do not click on the UPS option, but use the USPS button, which halfs the cost.

Kon-Tiki Viking
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-04-21 2:12 pm   Permalink

Hope folk don't mind me cross-posting this but the ever erudite Sven Kirsten will be signing copies of the CD and answering your questions on "The Sounds Of Tiki" at Trader Vic's LA on Thursday 29th April from 8pm onwards. Jay Strongman will be playing the CD and other great Exotica past and present so come and enjoy an evening of rum n' rhythm and welcome Sven back from his European travels (he'll be a thirsty man after his long flight back to LA).

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=36205&forum=17&8

View Profile of Kon-Tiki Viking Send a personal message to Kon-Tiki Viking      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-21 9:14 pm   Permalink

can't wait for next thursday, and to get a copy of the cd.

Jeff(btd)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2010-04-22 05:57 am   Permalink

DejaVoodoo, thanks for the Amazon heads-up. I'm about 250 miles behind the 8-ball, I had found it on Amazon and was planning on ordering it there. Scratch that idea

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation