FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Music Sven's The SOUND of TIKI CD -preview and discussion
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )
Sven's The SOUND of TIKI CD -preview and discussion
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-04 1:59 pm   Permalink

I will be playing Sven's new cd,
and he will be on hand to sell and sign them.
this Sat May 8th at Dons in So. Cal.

more info here:
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=36348&forum=17&10

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tonga Tom
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-05-17 10:51 am   Permalink

View Profile of Tonga Tom Send a personal message to Tonga Tom  Goto the website of Tonga Tom     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-21 4:50 pm   Permalink

Whoaa, I just got an e-mail from Ivy from The Cramps, commending me on the Sound of Tiki ! How nice to get kudos from such a seasoned aficionado of esoteric music rarities! I am flat out flattered...

"Hi Sven, I just received your super cool CD from Amazon, and just wanted to tell you: What a treat! very cool. Hope all is swell with you. xo, ivy."

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hiphipahula
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2010-05-21 5:34 pm   Permalink

That is pretty damn cool .... Hipsters....

View Profile of Hiphipahula Send a personal message to Hiphipahula  Email Hiphipahula Goto the website of Hiphipahula     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
little lost tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-22 10:06 am   Permalink

wow!
kudos from the Cramps!
Well-deserved!
Glad to see the CD is slowly spreading across the globe
and into the hands of a deserving populace!
Way to go,Sven!

View Profile of little lost tiki Send a personal message to little lost tiki  Email little lost tiki Goto the website of little lost tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-03 11:55 am   Permalink

Thank everybody for chiming in with your expertise.

I have another question for those who got my CD and thus first heard of Bear Family Records:

Has anyone checked out their incredible storehouse of great re-issues? I think they are the best label out there for esoteric vintage pop and rock!:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bear_Family_Records

I am happy to announce that I just got the green light for a Sound of Tiki Two. I will not make it a multi-CD box set with book, because I have done big books before, and we know how long that takes! I love the smaller format of a CD with booklet, and this will fit nicely next to the first, with a BLUE Kevin Kidney cover, and the working title "The Mystic Musings of Tiki".
See and hear it in 2011.

http://www.rockabillyhall.com/BearFamily.html

http://www.bear-family.de/index.php?shp=1&&cl=tcstart_mailorder&changelang=1

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiG
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-03 12:03 pm   Permalink

Congrats! Bigbro - great news regarding Sound of Tiki 2.

Still haven't bought a personal copy of your first CD (shame) but I have a hunch that will change soon I was checking out the CD booklet last night at Kirby's Rumpus Room...beautiful.

Yeah, Bear Family has provided me and friends with numerous discoveries via their reissues over the years. Great stuff. G

tiki since '67!

View Profile of TikiG Send a personal message to TikiG  Email TikiG     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
aquarj
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2010-06-03 12:53 pm   Permalink

Bear Family is great. We've been listening to their giant Louis Prima / Keely Smith / Sam Butera box recently, but there's lots more from that label.

Leave it to the Germans to be a rich source (and in some cases the ONLY source) for re-issuing great American music. And sometimes the Japanese. Come to think of it, isn't that a bit ironic, considering that a lot of this music is coming from the 20-25 years after WWII?

The point is not totally true if you consider some other great re-issue labels like Ace and Sundazed, which are neither German nor Japanese. Anyway, kinda interesting all the same.

Looking forward to seeing the blue cover for SOT2!

-Randy

View Profile of aquarj Send a personal message to aquarj  Goto the website of aquarj     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rum Balls
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-06-04 07:40 am   Permalink

SOT2...woo-hoo!

I've heard of Bear Family and the great job they do, but SOT1 is the first product of theirs I've purchased.

View Profile of Rum Balls Send a personal message to Rum Balls      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Danno
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-04 11:43 am   Permalink

"Sound of Tiki Two"? Very nice. Can't wait to hear it? 2011? Doh!!!

[ This Message was edited by: Danno 2010-06-04 11:45 ]

View Profile of Danno Send a personal message to Danno      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-12 2:10 pm   Permalink

Rerouted from another Tiki Music thread (as it has a better fit here)....

Quote:

On 2010-06-12 13:36, bigbrotiki wrote:

Just because Rockabilly and some Honky Tonk happened in the same time period is not enough reason for it to ever being called Tiki music....

Well actually I was thinking more of specific sub-genres like "Blue Hawaii Elvis-style Rockabilly" or "Hillbilly Hawaiian".

Here's a question though. I can see straightforward arguments for Hapa Haole and Exotica as Tiki Music but Lounge is a little trickier. In the SOT liner notes, you cite the Mary Kaye Trio as a Lounge example but are there any other good examples? To me, even without the MKT, (classic) Lounge would easily fit into the mid-century Tiki aesthetic but it's more of a "feeling" than an academic argument that's easy to articulate.

And while we're on the MKT, are there any specific reasons why you chose "Hilo Boy" over other "Our Hawaii" tracks. The reason I ask is because I've sought out additional music from them as a result. Mary Kaye's voice is AMAZING but as far as I can tell, only Norman Kaye and Frank Ross are singing on that song.

Thank you.

[ This Message was edited by: JOHN-O 2010-06-12 16:18 ]

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-12 11:49 pm   Permalink

Oh. Yes, good question. Well as I said in the SOT liner notes, the fact that the Kaye siblings are descendant from Hawaiian royalty, and also from a Hapa Haole bandleader, and then started the Vegas Lounge concept makes them Lounge performers that are part of the Tiki sound. So I hope that makes sense.
I chose Hilo Boy because it swings the most. A lot of the tunes on their "Our Hawaii" are too slow, or not so original, or too original. like "Pleeza No Peencha Da Hula Girls"!? And though I personally like multi-vocal jazz ensembles like Lambert, Hendricks and Ross, some of the Kaye Trio multi vocal acrobatics seemed to demanding for the average listener to me. Hilo Boy is the most pop.

So how does Lounge touch on Tiki? Well, what is Lounge? Essentially it is mid-century Jazz in the popular vein, played by a small combo that could perform in a bar, instrumental or with a vocalist. (The bar location is important, cause lounge rhymes with liquor). For me, the two main "Lounge" instruments are the vibraphone and the piano. Many jazz musicians played those, in lounges, like Cal Tjader and Bobby Troup, but so did Arthur Lyman and Martin Denny. What I am saying is that their sound was very much informed by Lounge jazz, and when they did not employ exotic percussion and sound effects but played standards, they were very "loungey". Paul Page sometimes displays a mixture of three genres: Hapa Haole, Exotica and Lounge (which he played in bars and restaurants). I even would call Don Ho a Lounge act to some degree, that whole interaction with the audience thing is part of the genre.

JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-13 12:23 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the clarification on your "Lounge" defintion.

My takeaway to that is that while all Exotica and Hapa-Haole would fall into the Tiki Music definition as musical genres, the Lounge connection would be more of appropriation of the style in the proper Poly-Pop context. In other words all Exotica is Tiki Music, all traditional Hapa-Haole is Tiki Music, but not all Lounge music is Tiki Music.

So can all mid-century Surf music be considered Tiki Music? I can see how the less aggressive slower-paced tunes might qualify.

I think the problem with "Lounge" is that the term has so many definitions. It can be used to refer to an easy-listening superset that includes Space-age and Exotica as well as the Las Vegas Swing Sound popularized by the Rat Pack (Blame the Cocktail Nation). When first looking at the Tiki Music Island map, I asked myself "Does Frank Sinatra live on that Lounge island?" "

You can see how your following post might be confusing:

Quote:

On 2010-06-12 11:05, bigbrotiki wrote:

Please play all the Lounge music you want, but it still remains just that: Lounge

"Hey, wait a minute, didn't Bigbro just include Lounge on the Tiki Sound Archipelago?"

OK, now I get it.

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trad'r Bill
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-14 12:10 pm   Permalink

Love the CD Sven...

One thing that has stuck in my head - Hilo Boy by the Mary Kaye Trio... am I the only one that thinks this sounds like the oompa loompa's singing this?? I'm talking about the OG Gene Wilder version here...

-Trad'r Bill

View Profile of Trad'r Bill Send a personal message to Trad'r Bill  Email Trad'r Bill     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nature boy
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-09-21 5:50 pm   Permalink

Hey,

Go to Amazon and mark "Chubby's" review as unhelpful! This guy has obviously not even listened to the CD.

Here's the link

http://www.amazon.com/Sven-Kirsten-Presents-Sound/dp/B0036ULAPU/ref=sr_1_1?s=gateway&ie=UTF8&qid=1285116032&sr=8-1

Leave a positive review while you're there.

[ This Message was edited by: nature boy 2010-09-21 17:54 ]

View Profile of nature boy Send a personal message to nature boy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation