FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums ╗ ╗ Tiki Music ╗ ╗ Sven's The SOUND of TIKI CD -preview and discussion
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )
Sven's The SOUND of TIKI CD -preview and discussion
Tiki Shaker
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2009-12-10 2:31 pm   Permalink

2014? Well, the world is supposed to come to an end 2012...

I'm guessing the United Nations has hired you as a consultant to help establish a new society once the earths crust has stopped moving and a new single continent is left? I assume they want this new land to be based on Danny Balsz' "The Tikis"... only larger?. You know, to fill up the entire new continent.

View Profile of Tiki Shaker Send a personal message to Tiki Shaker  Email Tiki Shaker     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2010-01-12 09:00 am   Permalink

Bump?

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-12 11:32 am   Permalink

Thanks, Mike,
but as I said earlier:

Quote:

On 2009-12-02 14:21, bigbrotiki wrote:
Well, unfortunately it will be a while, like end of March! It's gone into production now, I was just reminded to write the promo text for the coming catalog, but til its printed and shipped from Asia it'll be months.

I am just trying to find out if 8-Ball will get them in time to sell at Viva Las Vegas April 1-4.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2010-01-12 1:03 pm   Permalink

Just checkin'

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiace
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-17 10:32 pm   Permalink

I would vote no to both.
I like to put myself back in suburban California in 1963....
I'm 7 and my brother is 12.
My brother would have been rocking to the Ventures and the Shadows with his knock-off Sears guitar....not knowing yet, but just waiting for the Beatles....
My parents and their friends would have been going to dinner and drinks at the Lanai..listing to Denny, Baxter, Lyman, Hawaiian....ect.
The brother would have hated the exotica...the parents would have hated the surf rock.
EXOTICA ONLY.
You're parents are always right.

View Profile of tikiace Send a personal message to tikiace  Email tikiace     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tobunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-21 2:39 pm   Permalink

Sven, this CD looks INCREDIBLE! Ingenious concept... Congratulations! The cover art is stunning... Great work from Kevin Kidney, as usual!

And what a great discussion on this thread! Since I can offer nothing illuminating on the subject, I can only reiterate:

Will there be a release/listening party?!?! That would be AWESOME!

Keep us posted!

http://ericoctober.com

View Profile of tobunga Send a personal message to tobunga  Email tobunga Goto the website of tobunga     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-21 4:40 pm   Permalink

Are we gonna see any Yma ?? Does her song "Kon-Tiki" provide enough of a Tiki connection?

Yeah, it might not be as exotic as some of the stuff on "Voice Of The Xtabay" but her inclusion would validate her place within Tiki culture. It's probably a stretch though. (But hey, if she isn't Tiki enough, what was she doing at Hukilau in 2005?)

I don't think she gets as much appreciation around here as some of her other Exotica peers. Even 60 years after the fact, she's probably still ahead of her time. The Bigbro seal of approval would go far though.

Also I'd hate to see "Hawaiiannette" Funicello not pass muster if Don Ho can make the cut.

Just my 2 cents.

[ This Message was edited by: JOHN-O 2010-01-21 16:54 ]

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-21 5:16 pm   Permalink

Of course it would have been great to include it, and that's why I listened to Yma's "Kon Tiki" when I was compiling the disc --but it just didn't cut it. There is a reason why it is so obscure, it's just not one of her strong pieces. And she did not make it on this compilation because though she might be "Exotica", she is not "Tiki". Don Ho made it, (even though he himself isn't either,) because he sang "Quiet Village", and the Ventures because they intoned "Kon Tiki". Remember this compilation is about titles/sounds relating to TIKI CONCEPTS. And I had the responsibility to, just like with the material in my books, present music that was accessible, and not only for the Exotica aficionados.

And if this first CD sells well enough, I might get to do another, maybe even a Bear Family Multi CD set, like this one:

http://www.bear-family.de/index.php?sid=feec552dd9916b70e060df49a8f2ac76&cl=details&cnid=as347e253e436c454.60188604&anid=9a7522627552dacc0cc80c5d41a570dc

Now THEN I could throw a broader net, and Yma and Anette would certainly be included, too.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Urban Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-22 06:57 am   Permalink

I just discovered this thread and I am really excited about this CD. Normally, I only buy vinyl, but I will have to make an exception. I like the fact that this is more than just an exotica compilation.
BTW I found out about this CD on an audiophile forum that I frequent:
http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=206097

View Profile of Urban Tiki Send a personal message to Urban Tiki  Email Urban Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MrFab
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-01-22 10:25 am   Permalink

Is there a track listing for this album yet?

[ This Message was edited by: MrFab 2010-01-22 10:26 ]

View Profile of MrFab Send a personal message to MrFab  Goto the website of MrFab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-01-22 11:14 am   Permalink

Got my copy yesterday and have been listening to it non-stop. The song selection is awesome, Sven. Love Don Ho doing Hawaii 5-O. The little booklet that comes with is great, love the pics. Good job, Sven, it's worth every penny.

GROG miss Tiki-Kate

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TIKIVILLE
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-22 11:23 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-01-22 11:14, GROG wrote:
Got my copy yesterday and have been listening to it non-stop. The song selection is awesome, Sven. Love Don Ho doing Hawaii 5-O. The little booklet that comes with is great, love the pics. Good job, Sven, it's worth every penny.

WHAT?!...it's done and out?
Where?
how much?

View Profile of TIKIVILLE Send a personal message to TIKIVILLE  Email TIKIVILLE     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Zeta
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2010-01-22 11:36 am   Permalink

Hey I want one too! Where can I get it "south of the border"? Maybe I coul be your dealer in Mexico.

View Profile of Zeta Send a personal message to Zeta  Goto the website of Zeta     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-01-22 12:17 pm   Permalink

He he he!

GROG miss Tiki-Kate

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-22 12:31 pm   Permalink

That Grog! He is such a....

HAW HAW !

I hear that 8-Ball might have the first exclusive U.S. release of it at Viva La Vegas on Easter weekend (if it gets there on time)

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki 2010-01-22 20:55 ]

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation