FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Music » » Sven's The SOUND of TIKI CD -preview and discussion
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )
Sven's The SOUND of TIKI CD -preview and discussion
Zeta
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2010-01-22 1:05 pm   Permalink

Grog, don't even think about it! I see your intentions! I feel the "heavy vibes". Where's the Aloha spirit!? I have to watch my words because if I say something "funny" GROG will make fun of me! ;( What's wrong with you people!! (I'm joking)

View Profile of Zeta Send a personal message to Zeta  Goto the website of Zeta     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
martini kings
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-25 12:31 pm   Permalink

hi sven,
i dig your project. i know it will be top notch whatever it is.
i'm no authority but speaking for myself......
i judge tiki music by how hammock worthy it is. if i can lay in my hammock and drown out the sounds of the 101 in the background, feel as if i escaped,- hear and imagine the ocean and a few birds-well that is good for me. as much as i love surf music i find it a bit to loud for my much deserved tiki-time. cheers and look forward to grabbing a copy.
tony

View Profile of martini kings Send a personal message to martini kings  Email martini kings Goto the website of martini kings     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-25 1:42 pm   Permalink

Tony, thank you! And I dig the VIEW from your hammock. It is nice to hear that a professional musician such as you can still enjoy and distill music to its basic purpose. I shows in your work.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2010-01-25 3:30 pm   Permalink

Those are nice hammocks. Actually Tony, if you live close enough to the beach to hear the 101, you got nothing to drown out. Really good music will drown out Interstate 10.

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kahalakruzer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-25 7:04 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-01-21 17:16, bigbrotiki wrote:

And if this first CD sells well enough, I might get to do another, maybe even a Bear Family Multi CD set, like this one:

http://www.bear-family.de/index.php?sid=feec552dd9916b70e060df49a8f2ac76&cl=details&cnid=as347e253e436c454.60188604&anid=9a7522627552dacc0cc80c5d41a570dc

Hopefully it works out well Sven. I've been waiting for some new Johnny Burnette since like, mid-August, 1964...

View Profile of kahalakruzer Send a personal message to kahalakruzer      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tonga Tom
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-02-04 1:03 pm   Permalink

ARTHUR LYMAN: Taboo Tu
MARTIN DENNY: Aku Aku
GLORIA LYNNE: Bali Ha’i
LES BAXTER: Bird Of Paradise
PAUL PAGE: Castaway
MARTIN DENNY & SI ZENTNER: Tiki
ANDY WILLIAMS: House Of Bamboo (1958 version)
THE SHADOWS: Kon-Tiki
MARAIS & MIRANDA: I-Ha-She
BUDDY MORROW: Hawaiian Eye
THE MARY KAYE TRIO: Hilo Boy
THE SURFERS: Ulili E
PAUL PAGE: Pieces Of Eight
EDEN AHBEZ: Full Moon
THE SURFMEN: Bamboo
DON HO: Hawaii 5-0./Quiet Village Medley
RADIO JINGLE: Luau Is Calling You

View Profile of Tonga Tom Send a personal message to Tonga Tom  Goto the website of Tonga Tom     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-05 09:27 am   Permalink

Thanks, Tonga Tom you answered my burning question.

And where did you get this intel? Is this on your record label?

Now I don't have to buy the CD (who even buys CDs anymore?).

JUST KIDDING !! The liner notes will be worth the investment alone.

"The Sounds of a Tiki Bar" would have been easy. "The Sound of Tiki' is a bigger abstract challenge.

I'm assuming the Bigbro is going to offer his arguments for the inclusion of the selections.

I gotta say, based just on the song titles, I'm a little confused. Take away the Exotica, and it could almost be the "Sounds of Hawaii". At any rate, I look forward to this.

[ This Message was edited by: JOHN-O 2010-02-07 10:34 ]

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiyaki
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2010-02-05 09:34 am   Permalink

Hammock worthy...I like that !

If I had a hammock......

View Profile of tikiyaki Send a personal message to tikiyaki  Email tikiyaki Goto the website of tikiyaki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tonga Tom
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-02-06 09:49 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-02-05 09:27, JOHN-O wrote:

Thanks, Tonga Tom you answered my burning question. Where did you get this intel?

A one sheet made it my way, but the rest of te text is in German. It supposedly has a 52 page book, which I believe has been mentioned earlier. I can't wait to see the package, maybe it will be on LP one of these days with a large book!

View Profile of Tonga Tom Send a personal message to Tonga Tom  Goto the website of Tonga Tom     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kailuageoff
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-05 6:26 pm   Permalink

Sven,
I know we were talking about this at the Mai-Kai, and this thread is far too long for my gin-infused brain to sort though it all, but it seems to me you owe it to yourself and our little group of tiki obsessive-compulsives to do a CD that is evolutionary of "tiki style" music. The BOT explain this, so why not do a sort of sound track to the book?
Start with primitives like Sol Hoopii and move on Mr. Hapa-Haole himself; Harry Owens' Sweet Lieilani. Then do Crosby's Blue Hawaii, Dorothy Lamour's Moon of Manakoora and (you know this was coming) Frances Langford's "In Waikiki", and carry on to Genoa Keawe on 49th State Records and then something from Webley Edwards' Hawaii Calls with the surf crashing on Waikiki beach including a little Alfred Apaka and some Haunani Kahalewewai. Do your Les Baxter, Martin Denny, and Arthur Lyman and on to Don Ho (who buried exotica with the Vietnam war dead). The odd stuff that never went mainstream (like Paul Page) is interesting, but is it intellectually honest in terms of pop culture influence? I like surf music, but being a Hawaiian kid, I don't think of it as island stuff. It is oh so California.
Sorry to be so contrary, but to me tiki style music was an evolution thing that peaked in 1959 with Quiet Village. IMHO your CD should reflect what the patrons of Don's and Vic's were listening to from the 30's though the 60's. Please don't end the set with Margaritaville, no matter how much you may be tempted.
KG

[ This Message was edited by: Kailuageoff 2010-03-05 18:29 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Kailuageoff 2010-03-05 18:30 ]

View Profile of Kailuageoff Send a personal message to Kailuageoff  Email Kailuageoff     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-05 11:54 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-03-05 18:26, Kailuageoff wrote:
Please don't end the set with Margaritaville, no matter how much you may be tempted.

Haha, would have never dreamed of it, but now that you put the thought in my head, I WILL ..!

Actually, the CD does somewhat end on a devolutionary note, as the Surfmen album was clearly a commercial rip off of the genre (though one that came out surprisingly well), and the Don Ho vocal version of Quiet Village represents that very corny and schmaltzy level of Tiki that made the younger generations cringe in disbelief and embarrassment and run for Rock.

If this CD is successful and I get another multi CD gig for the label, I will include a Hapa Haole selection. But about being "intellectually honest": The Book of Tiki already wasn't, it is an idealization of a past that never existed in such a perfect form. I selected what I personally liked (manipulation 1) and showed only the very best examples of it (manipulation 2). That's why it worked.

The Tiki re-appreciation today is often historically incorrect: We KNOW that Tiki Temple patrons more often wore suit and tie to dinner, and NOT crazy colored Aloha shirts with Tikis on them... but where is the visual fun in that?

And about "I like surf music, but being a Hawaiian kid, I don't think of it as island stuff. It is oh so California."
I have always maintained: Tiki IS mainland, Californian-made, and not island stuff. I know Exotica is Island-made, too, but it is MODERN primitive in its sound, while Hapa Haole, as much as it is an lovely soundtrack in a Tiki Lounge, is more Hawaiiana, Pre-Tiki in its style.

But as you pointed out, that IS indeed part of the evolution of the style, so it has its place in there.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-06 12:07 am   Permalink

Geoff, I just re-read the opening text of my booklet in the CD, and it together with what I wrote above, it explains my approach and concept for the compilation: Less evolutionary, more subjective and TIKI-centric:

"This album makes for an ideal companion to my books, Tiki Modern, and especially The Book of Tiki. I had briefly considered publishing that book with a CD to peruse it by, but dropped the idea in favor of more pages and an affordable price that would aid the dissemination of Tiki into the broader public consciousness. Now that that goal has been achieved, this CD will further sing the gospel of Tiki: The unifying theme of this compilation is that its titles directly or indirectly relate to the various concepts, characters, and plots that populate that American “Polynesian passion play” called Tiki Style. To some extent, all the tunes on this album are connected, historically or esthetically, to the popular myth of Polynesia in the mid-century."

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-06 03:35 am   Permalink

Well waddaya know. Look what the good folks of Bear Family Music put up on U-Tube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxX-Sfu-I_0

A thousand thanks for Kevin Kidney's eye candy cover art, and to Jordan Reichek, the final owner of that amazing Tyree, for letting me use it for the booklet cover!

Ironically, the music for the clip is a little heavy on the Surf guitar....and on the Hapa Haole sound of Paul Page! I guess that still is considered more "commercial" than Exotica.

Don't try to order yet, folks, the official release date is April 1st, I will post the American distributor link as soon as I know.

Kailuageoff
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-06 07:27 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-03-06 00:07, bigbrotiki wrote:
Geoff, I just re-read the opening text of my booklet in the CD, and it together with what I wrote above, it explains my approach and concept for the compilation: Less evolutionary, more subjective and TIKI-centric:

"This album makes for an ideal companion to my books, Tiki Modern, and especially The Book of Tiki. I had briefly considered publishing that book with a CD to peruse it by, but dropped the idea in favor of more pages and an affordable price that would aid the dissemination of Tiki into the broader public consciousness. Now that that goal has been achieved, this CD will further sing the gospel of Tiki: The unifying theme of this compilation is that its titles directly or indirectly relate to the various concepts, characters, and plots that populate that American “Polynesian passion play” called Tiki Style. To some extent, all the tunes on this album are connected, historically or esthetically, to the popular myth of Polynesia in the mid-century."

The concept behind the CD makes more sense given the text above. As you say, a long-overdue sound track to the BoT. Can't wait to order a copy.
KG

View Profile of Kailuageoff Send a personal message to Kailuageoff  Email Kailuageoff     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-06 1:25 pm   Permalink

only 43 minutes Sven?
tisk tisk tisk.

this is a cd, not a LP.
they can hold 78 to 80 min.

for the drinker/listener,
the less often you have to get up to change the cd, the better.
I guess that is why they made cd changers.
But I prefer the single players, as they break down less,
and the audio quality specs are better.

oh well,
there is always the next cds.
still looking forward to this one.
and I posted info about it on the Surf forum.

Jeff(btd)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation