FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Tim Reis' aka CustomKiis - Carvings
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
Tim Reis' aka CustomKiis - Carvings
seeksurf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-27 10:10 pm   Permalink

Very nice work. taking it nice and slow is working for ya.

View Profile of seeksurf Send a personal message to seeksurf  Email seeksurf Goto the website of seeksurf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-09 08:10 am   Permalink

Excellent work on this guy though I really Liked that wormy track surface of the log what you are doing is really Incredible. Just watch those bug holes going into the wood, if you haven't seen them yet they belong to a hammer-head kind of worm, probably a powderpost type beetle larvae and they will live in the wood until they mature and fly away. In the meantime if they get to the edge of the surface they will bore into an adjoining piece of wood like a wood floor or TV or whatever. De bug the log when you're done as this will be too beautiful to "Leave to the worms".
What is that machine in the background, a lathe? If so I guess you are into the wood stuff and I'll shut up about it..

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Customkiis
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-06-09 5:58 pm   Permalink

Been a while since I posted an updated. So many of the changes are so subtle it almost looks as if I havemn't done anything. Thank you for all your kind words.

Benzart - I have killed a number of these bugs, while I was carving. I am hoping that I have gotten most of them. I am filling alot of the cracks with epoxy, so hopefully that will take care of them. One of my first carvings had these bugs and my brother called asking sawdust was coming out of my carving. . Ooops! Good thing he had it outside.

That is a lathe, in the back ground. An old Craftsman that I scored for $80.00. I work at the Eugene, OR WoodCraft and have learned a lot about the different aspects of woodworking. A very valuable experience. I have only turned carving mallets and pens so far.

I am basically done, except for the braids. They need a little fine tuning and some finishing touches. Fill some cracks, sand and finish! YEAH!!!

I will be moving back to Kauai June 27, 2010, to farm Koa trees and other crops in a remote location. (all of the crops are legal kine) I probably will not have much time to log on, however I will try to post pics. I have a 10ft Monkey Pod Ki'i that is half done, waiting for me.

I just wanted to say thanks for all the aloha and for this wonderful site. If anyone every wanted to learn about carving Tikis, I don't know if there is a better resource. Thanks to all the beginners and pros for sharing your information, experience and artwork. I will post a pic once I get a finish on it. This time it won't be that High Gloss Spar Varnish, Benzart. .

View Profile of Customkiis Send a personal message to Customkiis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
drasticwagon
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-09 7:05 pm   Permalink

Great carve, best of luck with your new life.

View Profile of drasticwagon Send a personal message to drasticwagon  Goto the website of drasticwagon     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
4WDtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-09 8:26 pm   Permalink

Great carve! I vaguely recalled the piece before you started it, so I went back to the first page to see it, and decided to bring it up for a comparision!
Quote:

On 2009-12-21 21:17, Customkiis wrote:
Here is my latest "Work in Progress" It is a 4ft tall walnut log, approx. 14 inches in diameter.

Pretty amazing how you worked around that crack!

Man, you're moving from one type of rainforest to another! I've been to both Eugene and Kauai, they're both special places. Be sure to post your work when you can.

View Profile of 4WDtiki Send a personal message to 4WDtiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-06-10 12:38 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-06-09 20:26, 4WDtiki wrote:
Pretty amazing how you worked around that crack!

That's what SHE said!

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
seeksurf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-10 6:17 pm   Permalink

Outstanding! He looks great.

View Profile of seeksurf Send a personal message to seeksurf  Email seeksurf Goto the website of seeksurf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Customkiis
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-08-17 11:08 pm   Permalink

I am now on Kauai,farming. Got a little distracted, but here are the finished pics. This piece will eventually end up in San Diego, at my sisters house.

I had to use a butterfly patch (figured walnut) to stop the crack in the back and inlaid my logo (figured maple) in the front.

I then finished it with a satin, oil based finish

View Profile of Customkiis Send a personal message to Customkiis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nomolos
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-18 02:25 am   Permalink

What a great tiki, love the grain of the wood and the smooth finish

View Profile of nomolos Send a personal message to nomolos      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
benella
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-20 06:56 am   Permalink

Perfect !

View Profile of benella Send a personal message to benella  Goto the website of benella     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
claq50
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-24 12:54 pm   Permalink

Very cool how you worked with that giant split in the back. Came out looking awesome

View Profile of claq50 Send a personal message to claq50      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
surfintiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-24 1:54 pm   Permalink

Yeah, nice grain and color. Beautiful finish! Kaui...JEALOUS! PLEASE feel free to spread as many photos as you wish!!

View Profile of surfintiki Send a personal message to surfintiki  Goto the website of surfintiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-28 07:28 am   Permalink

Tim, he finished up Beautifully. Excellent sanding and finishing, lots of sharp deep details. Excellent use of the log and lack there of.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
laojia
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-30 07:25 am   Permalink

Impressive Tiki carving...Really! And very good finishing! Also the butterfly patch: astute and style! You know the work of Georges Nakashima?

J.

View Profile of laojia Send a personal message to laojia      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
4WDtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-03-05 08:29 am   Permalink

Anything new from da island?

View Profile of 4WDtiki Send a personal message to 4WDtiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation