FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Anyone tried the Kraken yet?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 )
Anyone tried the Kraken yet?
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2013-03-24 5:01 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-03-24 07:22, Hale Tiki wrote:
Oh, and if anyone out there has trouble with Coco Lopez, I suggest dumping the can, oil and all, into a blender. Makes it smooth as silk, and although it'll still chunk up as soon as it hits other ingredients, it mixes, and stays mixed after you shake/blend it.

Coco Lopez is not a problem if you warm it up before using. First I warm the can so the contents liquefy and mix, then pour what I need for drinks. Remainder goes into a glass jar, then I store it in my fridge until needed again. Then I warm it up, use what I need, and return it to my fridge.

Lather, rinse, repeat - pretty simple. I'm not aware that any of the above has a negative impact on the flavor, but it could if you were to actually heat it too much. I would never "cook" it -- just warm it until it mixes well and can be poured or otherwise measured out nicely for drinks.

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-25 03:49 am   Permalink

Oh, and I used the remainder of what was in the blender with some actual bananas (read: not the plantains we all call bananas), pineapple juice, and a little milk, and drank it on the way to work this morning.

I kind of want to use it as a drink base, to be honest. Hahaha. Delicious.

View Profile of Hale Tiki Send a personal message to Hale Tiki  Email Hale Tiki Goto the website of Hale Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2013-03-25 08:14 am   Permalink

HT, sounds like a very tasty way to clean your blender!

Where I live I haven't seen much confusion between plantains and bananas. There is enough Cuban and other culture here-and-there that folks seem to grow up knowing that there is more than one type of banana-looking thing out there.

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-26 03:36 am   Permalink

Maaaaannnn it'd be nice to have some delicious Cuban food up here, Ace.

I guess where you are, any close to the real thing and you'd have to be in Cuba!

View Profile of Hale Tiki Send a personal message to Hale Tiki  Email Hale Tiki Goto the website of Hale Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2013-03-26 04:07 am   Permalink

The further south you go in Florida the better the Cuban food gets.

What we really need here is Mexican food. The only Mexican here is the "Americanized" version.

Oh, and we also need a Trader Joe's. Send us one of those, please...

thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-13 7:56 pm   Permalink

I give you,

the OCTO-CANE

3 oz The Kraken rum
.5 oz lime juice
1.5 oz passionfruit syrup, or 2 oz passionfruit juice and .5 oz orgeat

stir with ice,

LOOKA! It's a ArchiteuthisPhoon!

View Profile of thePorpoise Send a personal message to thePorpoise  Email thePorpoise     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sunny&Rummy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-14 04:43 am   Permalink

And if you drink a second one it's an Architeuthis d(e)ux.

Sad that taxonomy/nomenclature humor has such a narrow audience.

[ This Message was edited by: Sunny&Rummy 2013-08-14 04:44 ]

View Profile of Sunny&Rummy Send a personal message to Sunny&Rummy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Fervent Shaker

Posted: 2013-08-22 3:59 pm   Permalink

I can categorically state that Kraken Spiced Rum is one of my favourite rums to mix. It's amazing straight of course, but in a nice Cuba Libre it's unmatched with anything i've tried yet (and i've tried a lot).

A big lure of rum for people these days (especially those not regular drinkers) is the romanticism of piracy during the days of the British empire. With Pirates big in Hollywood I think they (better later than never) jumped on the bandwagon for promotion and they've gone from strength to strength...

This is, of course, my personal taste but I do suggest you give it a try, the bottle is rather moonshine/pirate grog like and the gimmick just sets them apart from Morgans/Sailor Jerrys. It gives them an almost instant rapport, and of course the history.

These are my thoughts on the matter anyway. I may be wrong on some of them, but in my mind it's a very good rum for the price they want you to pay for it (Here in the U.K. its 23 which is about average for a decent bottle of rum).

View Profile of Fervent Shaker Send a personal message to Fervent Shaker  Goto the website of Fervent Shaker     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTacky
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2013-08-23 4:45 pm   Permalink

I bought a huge bottle if it on sale for around $20. Should last me years.

Spiced rum has a bad rap, but I like Kraken quite a bit as a mixer. To me, Sailor Jerry tastes like gasoline in comparison.

[ This Message was edited by: TikiTacky 2013-08-23 16:45 ]

View Profile of TikiTacky Send a personal message to TikiTacky  Goto the website of TikiTacky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-23 5:58 pm   Permalink

well, despite my enthusiasm a few weeks back for the OCTO-CANE, my overall view is that The Kraken sucks.

my wife does like it however in a Cuba Libre.

but me- I've yet to find a worthwhile use for spiced rum (except for mixing in the Christmas eggnog).

View Profile of thePorpoise Send a personal message to thePorpoise  Email thePorpoise     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
happy buddha
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-23 7:01 pm   Permalink

gotta agree w porpoise. I was wayyy underwhelmed w this rum..

View Profile of happy buddha Send a personal message to happy buddha  Goto the website of happy buddha     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-23 7:47 pm   Permalink

Oh, there's something quite fantastic you can do with it. You can use it to make some other liqueurs that are out of this world. It is, after a all, a SPICED rum with a high alcohol content.

Sunny&Rummy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-24 07:16 am   Permalink

Underwhelmed is the term I would use as well. Over the top vanilla spice sweetness that was hard to mix into anything more complicated than Rum & Coke/Cuba Libre. Egg nog probably would have been a good way to use up the bottle, and Hale Tiki's suggestion about using it as a base in homemade liqueurs is a good one.

The one spiced rum I have really enjoyed is Old New Orleans Canun Spice. They take a totally different approach with this one and go for a very mild apple and pumpkin spice type of flavor profile (I have no idea what the apple spices are but those are the flavors I get) and it overall is really nice. Wish I had another bottle of that.

The

View Profile of Sunny&Rummy Send a personal message to Sunny&Rummy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiHardBop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-26 09:29 am   Permalink

I usually hate spiced rums as well until I recently helped with a rum tasting for Rockabilly Luau where we featured The Lash spiced rum out of Trinidad. A true spiced rum that tastes like spices, not just nutmeg and vanilla. I'm not sure about it's availability, but I can promise you it will change your mind about spiced rum.

View Profile of TikiHardBop Send a personal message to TikiHardBop  Goto the website of TikiHardBop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation