FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Drinks and Food » » Anyone tried the Kraken yet?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
Anyone tried the Kraken yet?
VampiressRN
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2010-11-16 8:52 pm   Permalink

Has anyone tried it in cooking? Like cakes or whatever?

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2010-11-16 9:01 pm   Permalink

Kraken Balls
2 cups finely chopped nuts
1 1/2 cups crushed ginger snaps
1/3 cup honey
1/4 cup Kraken
Powdered sugar

Combine nuts, crumbs, honey, and booze. Chill about 15 minutes. Roll into small balls, coat in powdered sugar. Let sit a day or so before serving. Makes 24-30 depending on how big your balls are

I tried it out, pretty good. Plus, since they're not baked, the alcohol stays in

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rum Balls
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-11-17 06:43 am   Permalink

Quote:
Kraken Balls

Ouch!

View Profile of Rum Balls Send a personal message to Rum Balls      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2010-11-19 6:04 pm   Permalink

I had limes, grapefruit juice (Simply Juice not Grapefruit juice cocktail) and cinnamon (Ceylon not cassia) So I figured it was time to make Kraken Donga Punch. Why not? The cinnamon syrup should mix well with the spiced rum.

And how was it? Well, I never tried Donga Punch before but I thought it tasted pretty good

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
54 house of bamboo
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-11-23 09:58 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-11-16 15:48, Pikeys Dog wrote:

Where did you get it from, if you don't mind me askin'

cheers,
Joe.

Best price is on-line at The Whisky Exchange. I haven't found it in an UK off-licence yet, other than Gerry's in Soho, London - if you are there.

The Stevenson Wedding Mug by Cheekytiki, 2006

View Profile of 54 house of bamboo Send a personal message to 54 house of bamboo      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2011-01-26 9:59 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-01-23 16:32, PiPhiRho wrote:
Another excellent spiced rum is Old New Orleans Cajun Spice Rum from Celebration Distillery in New Orleans. It contains a little bit of cayenne pepper along with a healthy amount of cinnamon, nutmeg and clove. The rums are a combination of their white and five year. The five year is used only in the spiced rum. The New Orleans rums are generally very good. So between New Orleans and Kraken I am actually starting to change my opinion of spiced rums. They are at the top. We all know what is at the bottom.

Oh good. I was just reading a drink recipe for
POŽAHA PUNCH at A Mountain of Crushed Ice and it called for Old New Orleans Cajun Spice Rum. My first action was to search TC to see if anyone here has tried and commented on this rum. Sure enough, PiPhiRho weighs in! And if PiPhiRho likes it, you know it's good. Thanks Paul!

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
aquarj
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2011-02-03 5:59 pm   Permalink

FWIW, Hi-Time is having a special on the Kraken 1.75 liter bottle for $19.99, good for the month of Feb.

This post will be useless in the future, but maybe that's true for a lot of my contributions here!

BTW, since the discussion morphed to a mention of the Old New Orleans cajun spiced rum, I've been meaning to try that for a while, for all the praise it gets. DrinkUpNY seems to be one of the few places I could find it.

-Randy

View Profile of aquarj Send a personal message to aquarj  Goto the website of aquarj     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kahuna Kevin
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-02-18 11:28 pm   Permalink

I use Kraken in a few of my drink creations alongside Kilo Kai, which is much sweeter and not as bold on the caramel. Together in the correct amounts alongside Jerry's, they're absolutely AWESOME for hot buttered rum.

View Profile of Kahuna Kevin Send a personal message to Kahuna Kevin  Email Kahuna Kevin Goto the website of Kahuna Kevin     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kahuna Tiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-03-09 06:07 am   Permalink

The Kraken has (finally) been released in Ontario! I found it in my local LCBO store last weekend. When I checked their website, it was listed but hadn't even been assigned a product number yet, so they must have JUST stocked it. I quickly grabbed two bottles before it has a chance to "go away" again (a typical LCBO move). It's *tasty*. Although I'm not ready to give up my Sailor Jerry any time soon, Kraken definitely has a prominent place on my liquor shelf, if just for the display value alone.

View Profile of Kahuna Tiki Send a personal message to Kahuna Tiki  Email Kahuna Tiki Goto the website of Kahuna Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kahuna Kevin
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-03-09 09:58 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-11-16 20:52, VampiressRN wrote:
Has anyone tried it in cooking? Like cakes or whatever?

I also experimented using Kraken and a tad of Zacapa mixed with dark chocolate, then dipped in a few strawberries. Words can not describe. Do it...

View Profile of Kahuna Kevin Send a personal message to Kahuna Kevin  Email Kahuna Kevin Goto the website of Kahuna Kevin     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Capt. R.H. Falernum
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-03-11 2:38 pm   Permalink

Kraken 1.75 liter bottles spotted for sale at Costco for $21.99
(this sighting is from the Culver City warehouse; but likely to be available in others as well, of course)

View Profile of Capt. R.H. Falernum Send a personal message to Capt. R.H. Falernum      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mermaidkate

Posted: 2011-04-06 1:48 pm   Permalink

I bought the Kraken rum at the store because I fell in love with the bottle... never tried it before that. I got it home and after a few days we kracked it open to give it a try. It's quite tasty! Liked the bottle so much I had my wedding invitations printed with the Kraken on it. I guess I should post that in another forum though.
Bottom line... try the Kraken!

View Profile of mermaidkate Send a personal message to mermaidkate      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Murph
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2011-04-06 3:44 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-04-06 13:48, mermaidkate wrote:
I bought the Kraken rum at the store because I fell in love with the bottle...

Me too! So much so that I made a lamp out of it.

View Profile of Murph Send a personal message to Murph  Email Murph     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mermaidkate

Posted: 2011-04-06 9:13 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-04-06 15:44, Murph wrote:
Quote:

I bought the Kraken rum at the store because I fell in love with the bottle...

Me too! So much so that I made a lamp out of it.

I love your lamp!!

View Profile of mermaidkate Send a personal message to mermaidkate      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2011-04-07 06:22 am   Permalink

Quote:

...Liked the bottle so much I had my wedding invitations printed with the Kraken on it...

I would have thought mermaids and kraken would be natural sworn enemies!

Welcome to TC MermaidKate

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation